Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: jlaurson on January 11, 2009, 02:52:47 AM
Are you sure they are not referring the the (slightly mythical) Melodiya recording - and not the Supraphon one?
Yes. But I don't have time to retrieve the magazine (need to walk the dog), it's in a comparative review done sometime during 2008.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on January 11, 2009, 03:26:39 AM
So much choice, these days, when you also consider Kitajenko...

I keep eyeing that box at JPC...only €29 for 12 SACDs! Reviews have been mixed. ClassicsToday praised it for the beauty of the lyrical episodes while damning it for playing down the barbaric and sarcastic elements. Your thoughts, Jens? (I couldn't find a review at IONARTS, just this mention of it while you were discussing Prokofiev cycles: "Kitajenko has put down a new cycle (Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne, Phoenix Edition) which, if it is as good as his Shostakovich cycle (Capriccio), will be a hot item.")

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 05:16:04 AM
I keep eyeing that box at JPC...only €29 for 12 SACDs! Reviews have been mixed. ClassicsToday praised it for the beauty of the lyrical episodes while damning it for playing down the barbaric and sarcastic elements. Your thoughts, Jens? (I couldn't find a review at IONARTS, just this mention of it while you were discussing Prokofiev cycles: "Kitajenko has put down a new cycle (Gürzenich Orchestra Cologne, Phoenix Edition) which, if it is as good as his Shostakovich cycle (Capriccio), will be a hot item.")
Sarge

Problem is that I don't have it at hand and have never done comparative listening. I remember the 5th being a total dud (who cares - we have loads of 5th on our shelves, no?) and the others to be uniformly excellent. I don't remember biting sarcasm, so ClassicsToday may be right on that, but obviously do remember being very happy with what I had. A flowing 8th that didn't drag, very musical 7th (more "Neuschnee" than "Schneematsch", though, if you know what I mean), for example. Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Can I speak to it with sufficient authority at this point? Not quite.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on January 11, 2009, 05:26:38 AM
Would I recommend it? Absolutely. Can I speak to it with sufficient authority at this point? Not quite.

Thank you. I will buy it even though I don't really need another Shostakovich box right now. I already own Jansons, Barshai and Rostropovich plus most of Rozhdestvensky and Haitink's cycles (the CDs purchased individually during the 90s). But that price is too good to pass up. I know if I wait, it will disappear. And besides, CD purchasing is never about need; it's about want  ;D

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 05:57:39 AM
And besides, CD purchasing is never about need; it's about want  ;D

Sarge

You ain't kiddin'  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Herman on January 11, 2009, 12:55:37 AM
However, as much as I question other posters' enthusiasms I happen to think it doesn't work very well to challenge people the way you do. I don't think that's the idea of GMG.

It really all depends on the intent - or force - of the original message. When someone comes on so strong - as you did with your Maxim comments - it's perfectly natural to expect equally strong rebuttal. I certainly don't enjoy this. But it most definitely IS part of GMG.

QuoteAnd if you find my contributions unilluminating, or not as illuminating as your own, just skip 'em. There's probably something in the GMG guidelines to that effect.

I trust you'll remember this the next time a GMG "Listening Group" thread fires up. ;) 0:)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: jlaurson on January 11, 2009, 03:26:39 AM
I have yet to sample his fourth on disc -- but in concert it was little short of awesome. The DSCH recordings I have of him (although not yet sampled in depth) are well above average. More bombastic than Barshai's cutting, chilling (not to be mistaken for the Haitink-clean-yet-sumptuous way) recordings.

So much choice, these days, when you also consider Kitajenko... (and almost not to mention Caetani and the MDG cycle from Bonn - both of which have gotten rather mixed reviews.)

Yes, some of Bychkov's old BPO Shostakovich (on Philips) is worthwhile, too. Not often we get the chance (on disc) to hear this orchestra in Shsotakovich.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

Quote from: Herman on January 11, 2009, 12:55:37 AM
Re: Craft. I'm not entirely sure how Karl listens to these symphonies. Perhaps perusing the scores meanwhile?

Not never, but hardly ever.

karlhenning

Quote from: George on January 10, 2009, 08:49:56 PM
I hope to soon get back to finishing my Kondrashin box for the first time. I doubt I will keep up with your pace, but it would be nice to compare notes along the way.

For me, as well, George.

karlhenning

Quote from: karlhenning
Not never, but hardly ever.

To clarify:  Most of my score-reading is not while listening;  most of my listening is attentive not divided by following the score in real time.

I do find it a valuable exercise to follow a score while listening to a piece, but this is quite a small fraction of either activity.

Herman

So we just happen to like different types of conductors sometimes.

My guess is the conductors union is very happy with this.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Herman on January 11, 2009, 11:46:55 AM
So we just happen to like different types of conductors sometimes.

Which is normal; we ain't sheep but individuals. If Karl is the lone evangelist for Maxim, I might be Rostropovich's John the Baptist (no one else on this forum admits to owning his Shostakovich cycle anyway). The forum needs folks like Karl and me...way too many Kondrashinites around here  ;D

Sarge

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
Which is normal; we ain't sheep but individuals. If Karl is the lone evangelist for Maxim, I might be Rostropovich's John the Baptist (no one else on this forum admits to owning his Shostakovich cycle anyway).
I, for one, wouldn't be caught dead with it, in the darkest of nights.   ;D

(I do have his Violin Concertos [with Vengerov], though, which I consider must-have material.)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on January 11, 2009, 12:11:38 PM
I, for one, wouldn't be caught dead with it, in the darkest of nights.   ;D

Exaclty what I said..all by my lonesome in the wilderness, crying the gospel of Rostropovich   ;)

Sarge

Renfield

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
Which is normal; we ain't sheep but individuals. If Karl is the lone evangelist for Maxim, I might be Rostropovich's John the Baptist (no one else on this forum admits to owning his Shostakovich cycle anyway). The forum needs folks like Karl and me...way too many Kondrashinites around here  ;D

Sarge

What does that make me!? I admire Shostakovich Jr's cycle and own the Rostropovitch. :o

Although truth be told, I've never listened to it - this due to it having been behind in Crete after I bought it while I was in the process of moving to Athens, ca. 2006. And the Kondrashin, Jansons, Shostakovich Jr., Haitink, and also-barely-listened-to Barshai have meant my hands were full enough for me to live without it. Should I pursue its recovery and dispatch to Scotland?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on January 11, 2009, 12:11:38 PM
(I do have his Violin Concertos, though, which I consider must-have material.)

With Vengerov? Yes, great performances.

Sarge

Christo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 05:57:39 AM
And besides, CD purchasing is never about need; it's about want  ;D

That's a real eye-opener to most of us here!  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Renfield on January 11, 2009, 12:15:23 PM
What does that make me!? I admire Shostakovich Jr's cycle and own the Rostropovitch. :o

I have no idea!!!  :o :o :o  You are an unusual dude  ;)  I want Junior's box too (not only because of Karl's advocacy but because the reviews, even the negative reviews, make it sound intriguing). But the price has been a barrier.

Should I pursue its recovery and dispatch to Scotland?

I hate making recommendations because my taste in music is rather odd (as I've discovered in these forums). I love 1, 2 and 3 (he almost convinces me the Third is actually good music rather than the trash it really is...that's a remarkable achievement!). His Fourth isn't among my absolute favorites but definitely scores with me. His Fifth (along with Bernstein live in Tokyo) is my favorite Fifth. The Sixth is a major disappointment; his Seventh failed to convince (but then no one's Seventh has convinced me that this is anything more than wartime propoganda schlock. Bernstein/Chicago awaits in the wings, ready to prove me wrong). His Eighth is solid and moving. I can't recall the Ninth but the Tenth disappointed. His 11th, 12th and 14th are stunning. His 15th a dud. Sanderling/Cleveland's 15th sweeps all before it; no one else is in the running...not in my Shosty race anyway  ;D

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Christo on January 11, 2009, 12:22:04 PM
That's a real eye-opener to most of us here!  8)

I have a genius for stating the obvious  :D

Sarge

Renfield

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 12:46:53 PM
I have no idea!!!  :o :o :o  You are an unusual dude  ;)  I want Junior's box too (not only because of Karl's advocacy but because the reviews, even the negative reviews, make it sound intriguing). But the price has been a barrier.

Really? I remember picking it up ridiculously cheaply in Athens, a couple of years ago - in the region of €20! And intriguing is certainly a word for it.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 12:46:53 PM
I hate making recommendations because my taste in music is rather odd (as I've discovered in these forums). I love 1, 2 and 3 (he almost convinces me the Third is actually good music rather than the trash it really is...that's a remarkable achievement!). His Fourth isn't among my absolute favorites but definitely scores with me. His Fifth (along with Bernstein live in Tokyo) is my favorite Fifth. The Sixth is a major disappointment; his Seventh failed to convince (but then no one's Seventh has convinced me that this is anything more than wartime propoganda schlock. Bernstein/Chicago awaits in the wings, ready to prove me wrong). His Eighth is solid and moving. I can't recall the Ninth but the Tenth disappointed. His 11th, 12th and 14th are stunning. His 15th a dud. Sanderling/Cleveland's 15th sweeps all before it; no one else is in the running...not in my Shosty race anyway  ;D

So we have a very good 5th, a good 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 14th, a bad 6th, 7th, 10th, 15th, and the 9th and 13th are AWOL.

I do have Rostropovitch's later 11th, which I quite like. Maybe I should contact the parent unit and request dispatch...

(In fact, I had forgotten about that set, or I might have asked them to send it over earlier. It's almost strange I'd left it behind, to begin with.)