Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 05:57:39 AM
Thank you. I will buy it even though I don't really need another Shostakovich box right now. I already own Jansons, Barshai and Rostropovich plus most of Rozhdestvensky and Haitink's cycles (the CDs purchased individually during the 90s). But that price is too good to pass up. I know if I wait, it will disappear. And besides, CD purchasing is never about need; it's about want  ;D

Sarge - will be lookin' forward to your comments on the set contemplated - just have Barshai as a complete set so far (plus a bunch of other players in many other performances) - would like a second comparison 'complete' set - thanks for any input provided in the future!  Dave  :D

Renfield

Quote from: SonicMan on January 11, 2009, 02:31:45 PM
Sarge - will be lookin' forward to your comments on the set contemplated - just have Barshai as a complete set so far (plus a bunch of other players in many other performances) - would like a second comparison 'complete' set - thanks for any input provided in the future!  Dave  :D

Dave, suffice to say you can confidently purchase any one among Kondrashin's, Shostakovich Jr's or Jansons' cycles with the weight of the recommendations of at least a group of GMG posters (likely different for each). ;)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Renfield on January 11, 2009, 02:30:27 PM
Really? I remember picking it up ridiculously cheaply in Athens, a couple of years ago - in the region of €20! And intriguing is certainly a word for it.

Alas, I've never visited Greece (I rarely travel south, preferring more northerly climes). It remains expensive elsewhere...well, not really expensive but double or triple the price of Barshai or Kitajenko. Expensive enough to make me hesitate anyway.

QuoteSo we have a very good 5th, a good 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 14th, a bad 6th, 7th, 10th, 15th, and the 9th and 13th are AWOL.

If you are to believe me...which I urge you not to do  ;)

His 13th I love but I see it has mixed reviews. The 9th, yes, is AWOL (thank you for the military metaphor  8) )  I should listen to that tomorrow.

QuoteI do have Rostropovitch's later 11th, which I quite like.

Yes, a smashing (literally) recording. I should compare it to the earlier.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Renfield on January 11, 2009, 02:35:20 PM
Dave, suffice to say you can confidently purchase any one among Kondrashin's, Shostakovich Jr's or Jansons' cycles with the weight of the recommendations of at least a group of GMG posters (likely different for each). ;)

Yep, LOL!  ;D  Took me probably a year on this thread to pick up the Barshai, and the other three mentioned above have been 'pounding' in my mind as an additional option, then the Kitajenko performances on Capriccio suddenly appeared in the 'mix' - guess I can wait a little longer?  ;)  :)  Dave

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on January 11, 2009, 02:53:20 PM
Yep, LOL!  ;D  Took me probably a year on this thread to pick up the Barshai, and the other three mentioned above have been 'pounding' in my mind as an additional option, then the Kitajenko performances on Capriccio suddenly appeared in the 'mix' - guess I can wait a little longer?  ;)  :)  Dave

Let me add Rozhdestvensky to the mix (just to make your life more complicated  ;D )  If there were a box set available, he would be my first choice (despite the less than ideal sonics). So my advice is: wait for it  ;)

Sarge

vandermolen

Thanks guys for the views on Maxim Shostakovich's Supraphon box. I think that I opened up Pandora's box when I asked the question  ;D

I have the box but have only heard No 4, which I though excellent. The old EMI/Melodiya No 15 was better than any I have heard since (especially the troubled/touching ending). I don't think that there is a mythology about this performance - it is simply a great one and cries out for a CD release.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Quote from: SonicMan on January 11, 2009, 02:53:20 PM

Quote from: Renfield on January 11, 2009, 02:35:20 PM

I haven't quite heard all of the Jansons set, but everything I have heard is very good (in particular the Tenth, Fifteenth & Eighth . . . in fact, his is about my favorite Tenth, but then, of course, I am eccentric in not thinking all that highly of the HvK . . . .)

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 03:07:50 PM
Let me add Rozhdestvensky to the mix (just to make your life more complicated  ;D )  If there were a box set available, he would be my first choice (despite the less than ideal sonics). So my advice is: wait for it  ;)

Sarge

Better hope they have two copies, Dave, cause I'm gettin' the first one!!  $:)

George

Quote from: vandermolen on January 11, 2009, 03:25:17 PM
Thanks guys for the views on Maxim Shostakovich's Supraphon box. I think that I opened up Pandora's box when I asked the question  ;D

No worries, this is GMG, where pandora's box lies around every corner.  ;D

karlhenning

Sarge & Renfield, I am waxing curious about the Slava set.  The only one I've heard (and maybe this isn't even a part of the set under advisement) was the Fourth, decades ago, and . . . I only remember incomprehension, frankly.  So I owe him a fresh listen.

karlhenning

Quote from: George on January 11, 2009, 03:45:30 PM
No worries, this is GMG, where pandora's box lies around every corner.  ;D

If you never open a Pandora's box here, Jack, you dead!

Renfield

Quote from: karlhenning on January 11, 2009, 03:46:10 PM
Sarge & Renfield, I am waxing curious about the Slava set.  The only one I've heard (and maybe this isn't even a part of the set under advisement) was the Fourth, decades ago, and . . . I only remember incomprehension, frankly.  So I owe him a fresh listen.

The LSO Live 11th I've heard is certainly excellent.

I wouldn't rank it higher than the crystal-clear Bychkov, or Mravinsky - also Kondrashin, maybe - but it's an individual, atmospheric, emotive, genuinely heartfelt performance backed by wonderful orchestral playing. "Big-band Shostakovich", if you will.

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on January 11, 2009, 03:43:51 PM
Better hope they have two copies, Dave, cause I'm gettin' the first one!!  $:)

George - LOL yet again!  ;D  I can 'hold off' a while, after just digesting my first listening of the Barshai box set - superb!  I'll await some more comments on the Kitajenko performances on Capriccio, then will see what prices are offered!  (hey, didn't you & I go through this conundrum w/ the Beethoven-Annie Fischer recordings -  ;)) - have a great evening, buddy - Dave  :)

George

Quote from: SonicMan on January 11, 2009, 03:57:28 PM
George - LOL yet again!  ;D  I can 'hold off' a while, after just digesting my first listening of the Barshai box set - superb!  I'll await some more comments on the Kitajenko performances on Capriccio, then will see what prices are offered!  (hey, didn't you & I go through this conundrum w/ the Beethoven-Annie Fischer recordings -  ;)) - have a great evening, buddy - Dave  :)

Yes, we did. One day you will all find out that I am secretly the assistant VP of promotion over at Hungaroton. :D

You have a great night too!  :)

This is way more fun than the Golden Globes!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Renfield on January 11, 2009, 03:53:15 PM
The LSO Live 11th I've heard is certainly excellent.

I wouldn't rank it higher than the crystal-clear Bychkov, or Mravinsky - also Kondrashin, maybe - but it's an individual, atmospheric, emotive, genuinely heartfelt performance backed by wonderful orchestral playing. "Big-band Shostakovich", if you will.

Agree...and I will compare it to the performance in the box (with the National SO) tomorrow (oh, my...it is tomorrow already in my neck of the woods  ;D )

Rostropovich's Fifth is a great performance too but it is overtly political. Karl, if you think music can't be political...well, just listen to those closing pages! We know that Shostakovich composed the Fifth in responce to politically motivated criticism (the Fourth disappeared for many years as a result). The finale is, on the surface, one of unalloyed Soviet triumph. But some think Shostakovich deliberately wrote a subversive subtext into the score for those with the ears to hear. Rostropovich makes it obvious: the closing pages are not triumphant but hectoring, and damning. It's the polar opposite interpretation of, for example, Bernstein's (whose performance Shostakovich praised). Take your pick between the two interpretive extremes: come away smiling, or intensely disturbed.

Sarge

George

Which Rostropovich 5 are you referring to, Sarge? The live one or the studio one from the set?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on January 11, 2009, 04:27:37 PM
Which Rostropovich 5 are you referring to, Sarge? The live one or the studio one from the set?

Studio, with the National SO. I haven't heard the live one.

Sarge

George

When you get a chance, can you post the timings, Sarge?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on January 11, 2009, 04:32:18 PM
When you get a chance, can you post the timings, Sarge?

Sure, George. Shostakovich 5, Rostropovich conducting the National Symphony Orchestra:

I    14:54
II   5:27
III  12:49
IV   12:04

Sarge

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 11, 2009, 05:20:51 PM
Sure, George. Shostakovich 5, Rostropovich conducting the National Symphony Orchestra:

Studio  Live LSO 2004
I    14:54    15:39
II     5:27     5:47
III  12:49   12:39
IV   12:04  12:52

Sarge

I added the live ones next to yours. Very similar. Thanks!