Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Danny on May 28, 2007, 04:11:39 PM
Call me crazy, but I feel that the Yablonsky version on Naxos of the Leningrad is better than the Haitinik version with the LSO.  Yablonsky gives an interpretation that strikes me as being more Russian, and, as a result, more chaotic and fiery in areas (the percussion in the first movement comes to mind).

You don't sound crazy at all. You just sound like you know what you like. Nothing crazy about that.  :)

karlhenning

Quote from: George on May 29, 2007, 06:36:25 PM
Yes, but Karl, even specific features do not point to inferiority, they just point to what you (or I) like or do not like. I don't recall stating (or Danny stating) that polished meant inferior. If I implied such a thing, I apologize. I merely meant to say that polished and Shostakovich don't go well for me. I would certainly not be so bold as to assume that my negative impressions meant that something was inferior in general, just inferior to me, for me. As Harry reminds us all (daily) it's all subjective. To think that my subjective experience translated into an objective fact (such as something being inferior) would be naive indeed.  :)

Understood, George (though, our esteemed Harry notwithstanding, I don't think it can be all subjective, but that's another tale).  I suppose it boils down to when someone says "polished," (whether or not there's a value-comparison tagged to that), I seldom know what is really meant, especially when applied to a recording generally, e.g.  And so I make free to ask, "What was that part in the middle again . . . ?" :-)

And of course, Danny still does like the Haitink recording  :)

Steve

Quote from: karlhenning on May 29, 2007, 06:15:03 PM
I think I've mentioned this elsewhere, but there is a kind of cool stasis to the wind chorale in the third movement Adagio of the Leningrad in the Haitink/London Phil recording, which I find exquisitely well advised (a stunning echo of, say, the chorales in Stravinsky's L'histoire du soldat).  It is one of many accomplishments in this recording, which drive my high regard for it.  Nor is it to say that the third movement has to be done that way in order for me to approve of a performance (the Bernstein/CSO is notably different in that passage, for instance).

Anyway, lads, this is just an example of why I find it of greater interest, more musically useful, what you will, to compare specific features, rather than to use a general term like "polished" as denoting inferiority.  (And BTW, I have no quarrel with the percussion here, either;  naturally, YMMV.)

You've piqued my interest, Karl. I'll have to take another listen of the Haitink Adagio. I've never really liked the Bernstein interpretation of this symphony, btw

karlhenning

Quote from: Steve on May 29, 2007, 06:49:52 PM
You've piqued my interest, Karl. I'll have to take another listen of the Haitink Adagio. I've never really liked the Bernstein interpretation of this symphony, btw

I think it was one of the first I heard, though only in part on that occasion (and on radio).  It left me pretty cold to the symphony.  Now that the piece itself is firmly in my sonic graces, perhaps there is some 'distance' wherefrom I can appreciate the Bernstein recording.  At any rate, a large part of it is just enjoying the sound of the brass  8)

Steve

Quote from: karlhenning on May 30, 2007, 04:08:39 AM
I think it was one of the first I heard, though only in part on that occasion (and on radio).  It left me pretty cold to the symphony.  Now that the piece itself is firmly in my sonic graces, perhaps there is some 'distance' wherefrom I can appreciate the Bernstein recording.  At any rate, a large part of it is just enjoying the sound of the brass  8)

Just as long as it's not too much, Karl  ;)

karlhenning

You mean, so long as they don't drown out the percussion, Steve8)

karlhenning

While exogenous variables (many of them much the right sort of exogenous variable) have set back my plans to prepare a comprehensive survey of the Maksim Dmitriyevich set, I consider this only a delay.

Continued listening is affirming initially favorable impressions, and I will write at greater length hereafter.

Meanwhile I note with interest that Sarge is greatly enjoying his Slava set.

Danny

Steve

Quote from: karlhenning on June 08, 2007, 06:00:47 AM
While exogenous variables (many of them much the right sort of exogenous variable) have set back my plans to prepare a comprehensive survey of the Maksim Dmitriyevich set, I consider this only a delay.

Continued listening is affirming initially favorable impressions, and I will write at greater length hereafter.

Karl,

Yesterday, I had the chance to listen to an old Berstein recording of the 5th, and enjoyed it immensely. I never remember being particularily drawn to Berstein's Shostakovich, but experience has given me cause to look into these recordings again. What are your opinions of his interpretations?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 08, 2007, 06:00:47 AM

I am, and chances are good this may become my favorite Shostakovich cycle. But it's still early in the game. I've only heard the first three discs so far, symphonies 1-4, and 9 (I'm already familar with his 13th and 5th...Slava's 5th being my long time favorite along with Bernstein '79). Unlike Maksim, Slava comes from the subjective school of conducting. He is an interventionist and decidedly mannered (I can imagine many thinking his point making exaggerated). Tempos tend to be extreme in both directions, slow and fast. It's been a wild ride so far and I'm enjoying it. Moving on to the Sixth tomorrow. Since I don't have a CD version of this symphony I fully love, I'm hoping Rostropovich will do it for me.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 08, 2007, 01:55:32 PM
I am, and chances are good this may become my favorite Shostakovich cycle. But it's still early in the game. I've only heard the first three discs so far, symphonies 1-4 (I'm already familar with his 13th and 5th...Slava's 5th being my long time favorite along with Bernstein '79). Unlike Maksim, Slava comes from the subjective school of conducting. He is an interventionist and decidedly mannered (I can imagine many thinking his point making exaggerated). Tempos tend to be extreme in both directions, slow and fast. It's been a wild ride so far and I'm enjoying it. Moving on to the Sixth tomorrow. Since I don't have a CD version of this symphony I fully love, I'm hoping Rostropovich will do it for me.

Sarge

You got his first complete set, right Sarge?

Teldec on 12 CDs?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on June 08, 2007, 02:00:33 PM
You got his first complete set, right Sarge?

Teldec on 12 CDs?

Yes, this one:

When I saw the JPC price, 48 Euro, I didn't even hesitate.

Of the live LSO recordings, I only have the 11th (stunning, Tony's right). It will be interesting to compare it with the earlier NSO version.

Sarge

BachQ

karlhenning

Twelve discs?  Any music apart from the 15 symphonies, Sarge?

karlhenning

I owe to Slava to revisit his work here.  I soured to him on the basis of one recording, and maybe my ears just weren't into it then.

As to Bernstein, Steve:  You know, I don't think I've heard him with the Fifth.  The First and Seventh with the CSO are powerful accounts, in some details arguably 'textually questionable', but he makes it all work so well, I won't press charges  8)

George

Quote from: karlhenning on June 08, 2007, 07:41:04 PM
I owe to Slava to revisit his work here.  I soured to him on the basis of one recording, and maybe my ears just weren't into it then.

His LSO 5th is very nice. Also midprice.

Say that twice while chewing rice.

:D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 08, 2007, 07:31:58 PM
Twelve discs?  Any music apart from the 15 symphonies, Sarge?

Unfortunately, no. Just the symphonies. Some of the discs are very short; three come in around the 45 minute mark. They could have put the cycle on fewer discs but then they would have been forced to spread some works over two. Still, the cost per disc is only 4 Euro. I don't feel cheated.

Sarge

PerfectWagnerite

So if I am looking for a second cycle should I get the M. Shostakovich or the Jansons. Please, no Haitink please.