Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

My wife really digs the Leningrad. But she says the Roz. recordings on Russian Revelations sucks sound-wise.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 11, 2007, 04:08:54 PM
My wife really digs the Leningrad. But she says the Roz. recordings on Russian Revelations sucks sound-wise.

They don't have the prettiest sound: they are very upfront and in your face; climactic moments can be glaring and harsh. But you get used to it. Worth it for the performances.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

BorisG

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 11, 2007, 04:08:54 PM

Yes, those Russian Revoltings should be buried.

karlhenning

For variety, you know, I'm checking out more of the Jansons cycle and the Gergiev 'War Symphonies' set.

toledobass

Quote from: karlhenning on June 12, 2007, 10:12:46 AM
For variety, you know, I'm checking out more of the Jansons cycle and the Gergiev 'War Symphonies' set.

I've been eyeing that Gergiev for a long while.  Let me know what you think,  Karl.

Peace,

Allan

karlhenning

Will report, Allan!

Andy asked about my favorite Fourth.  A number of them are very good.  At the risk of inviting comparisons to a broken record (a simile whose usefulness may not endure the Digital Age), for a number of nerdy, textual reasons — but also because it sounds great — the one I like best is the Prague Symphony directed by the composer's son.  But the Previn/CSO recording gets a special mention, as well.

karlhenning

The Gergiev/Mariinka (Kirov) account of the Fifth is at times idiosyncratic.  And so (a) generally, I am still weighing it, and (b) right away I shouldn't call it my favorite.  But a worthwhile listen, certainly.

The Gergiev/Mariinka (Kirov) account of the Fourth, similarly, has its share of idiosyncracies, yet I don't think this effaces the overall profile of the work, in the way it seems to have with the Fifth.  The Fourth starts out a little straightlaced (a little cautious?) . . . on one hand, it's striking me a bit odd; on the other, I might take that as a valid alternative.  Still mulling over that.  Gergiev seems to want to take tempi slower when the bassoons are about . . . he brings in the bassoon/contrabassoon recap of the first movement rather under-tempo;  and the bassoon solo marcia funebre with timpani and double-bass pizz accompaniment which opens the third movement, is at a relaxed pace which sounds more like a ramble than a march.  The brass sound very good in The Huge C Major section of the third movement.

Now, when Gergiev brought the Mariinka to Worcester's Mechanics Hall, their performance of the Seventh was life-changing;  it was also entirely orthodox (in all the right sense).  So I admit I am finding myself a bit surprised with this Fourth and Fifth as I begin surveying Gergiev's 'War Symphonies' set (of course, "war symphonies" is a misnomer for the Fourth through Sixth, but I suppose the idea is to bring the Terror of the 30s under the umbrella of War, which is of itself defensible).

With these accounts of the Fourth and Fifth, Gergiev seems keen to find a fingerprint of his own . . . and I'll have to digest what I hear, before much taking that notion up.

SimonGodders

Not a cycle (about half), but bought this recently:

And was so impressed, I bought the rest later that evening. They've all arrived today 8):

Just spinning Symphony 10 now, this is great stuff...

Sanderling really knows how to unravel Shostakovich and demonstrate just what's going on, something I've struggled a fair bit with the symphonic side of this composer. Do not hesitate to purchase!

George

Simon, I've seen those in a local shop in a box.

- George, who really needs to get a job and stop all this ruinous coveting.  :-[

SimonGodders

Well that's what I did. I'ld bought the disc with 1+6 and then decided I must hear everything else....as you do :-\ and bought the box, found it to be cheapest at German Amazon - 26 Euro's including postage...

toledobass

I like the Sanderling performance, too.  Maybe not always my first choice but I find that whenever I listen to the disks I'm engaged from start to finish.  I find he has a lot to offer me in this repertoire.  Some of the tempos seem slow sometimes but he still manages to create a weighty intensity that I find fits the symphonies very well.  I pointed out this box to Sarge not too long ago:

Sanderling Box

Allan

SimonGodders

Quote from: toledobass on June 15, 2007, 10:06:59 AM
I like the Sanderling performance, too.  Maybe not always my first choice but I find that whenever I listen to the disks I'm engaged from start to finish.  I find he has a lot to offer me in this repertoire.  Some of the tempos seem slow sometimes but he still manages to create a weighty intensity that I find fits the symphonies very well.  I pointed out this box to Sarge not too long ago:

Sanderling Box

Allan

Yes, engagement is the word! Sanderling certainly keeps me on my toes in these performances thus far. Tempos are on the slow side, but crucially, don't feel slow. I'm really chuffed with this purchase and they seem very complimentary to the Mravinsky, Barshai and other bits and bobs I'm steadily acquiring.

karlhenning

SimonGodders

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2007, 10:26:13 AM
"Bits and bobs" . . . I like it!

Not the most descriptive of phrases, granted! It's just the way I'm building my Shostakovich symphonic collection, shunning the box-set 'method' as it were...

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: toledobass on June 15, 2007, 10:06:59 AM

Sanderling Box

Allan

Thanks again, Allan. I did order it. Maybe Sanderling's will be the 6th that finally satisfies completely. Looking forward to hearing his Bruckner 3rd too...and the Sibelius!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 15, 2007, 10:47:36 AM
Not the most descriptive of phrases, granted! It's just the way I'm building my Shostakovich symphonic collection, shunning the box-set 'method' as it were...

That's the direction I went at first myself. I really wanted the complete Rozhdesvensky cycle, but only got about half. The rest are Mravinsky, Bernstein, Ormandy and Rostropovich (LSO.)

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on June 15, 2007, 01:28:09 PM
That's the direction I went at first myself. I really wanted the complete Rozhdesvensky cycle, but only got about half. The rest are Mravinsky, Bernstein, Ormandy and Rostropovich (LSO.)

The Rozh' discs seem quite hard to get hold of and also seem expensive when you find them, are they good? Decent sound?

I've got some Mravinsky and Bernstein, I thought you had the Kondrashin cycle? I've started downloading that from Operashare  ;)

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 15, 2007, 01:52:22 PM
The Rozh' discs seem quite hard to get hold of and also seem expensive when you find them, are they good? Decent sound?

I've got some Mravinsky and Bernstein, I thought you had the Kondrashin cycle? I've started downloading that from Operashare  ;)

The first time I built a cycle of singles. I got Rozh's 1,2,3,4,7,8,12. Then I got Rostropovich's (and Hatink's) 5, Mravinsky's (and Bernstein's) 6, Haitink and Bernstein's 9, Karajan's 10, Mravinsky's 11, the Naxos version (Slovak) of 13 and 14 and Ormandy's 15.

THEN I got Kondrashin's cycle.  8)

Yes, the Rozh discs are outstanding. The sound is a bit strident, but otherwise clear and in your face. My favorite conductor for DSCH. :)

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on June 15, 2007, 07:41:17 PM

Yes, the Rozh discs are outstanding. The sound is a bit strident, but otherwise clear and in your face. My favorite conductor for DSCH. :)

Shall keep an eye out for them in that case...

SimonGodders

Quote from: George on June 15, 2007, 07:41:17 PM

Just ordered Rozh doing the fourth, so will be interested to hear.
:)