Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sidoze

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 15, 2007, 09:33:17 PM
Just ordered Rozh doing the fourth, so will be interested to hear.
:)

I like that most of his cycle. BMG or Olympia, Simon?

rubio

Quote from: George on June 15, 2007, 07:41:17 PM
The first time I built a cycle of singles. I got Rozh's 1,2,3,4,7,8,12. Then I got Rostropovich's (and Hatink's) 5, Mravinsky's (and Bernstein's) 6, Haitink and Bernstein's 9, Karajan's 10, Mravinsky's 11, the Naxos version (Slovak) of 13 and 14 and Ormandy's 15.

THEN I got Kondrashin's cycle.  8)

Yes, the Rozh discs are outstanding. The sound is a bit strident, but otherwise clear and in your face. My favorite conductor for DSCH. :)

Which symphonies of the Rozh cycle would you consider favourite performances of the given symphony? I have already ordered the Praga 4th which I have heard many positive things about. Any other performances on this level (or close)?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

George

Quote from: rubio on June 16, 2007, 02:33:17 AM
Which symphonies of the Rozh cycle would you consider favourite performances of the given symphony? I have already ordered the Praga 4th which I have heard many positive things about. Any other performances on this level (or close)?

Of the ones that I have heard, I believe that they are all on the same level. The disc with 1 and 3 is easy to find and mid-priced.

George

Quote from: SimonGodders on June 15, 2007, 09:33:17 PM
Just ordered Rozh doing the fourth, so will be interested to hear.
:)

Let me know!  :)

The Mravinsky 11 on Chant du Monde is incredible as well!  :)

rubio

Quote from: George on June 16, 2007, 05:07:02 AM
Let me know!  :)

The Mravinsky 11 on Chant du Monde is incredible as well!  :)

I have the Mravinsky 11th on Melodiya in the below box set (haven't listened to it yet). It is from 02.02.1959. Is it the same performance as the Praga?

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: rubio on June 16, 2007, 02:33:17 AM
Which symphonies of the Rozh cycle would you consider favourite performances of the given symphony?

I agree with everything George has said. Rozh is one of my favorite Shostakovich conductors too. I own 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12 in Melodiya editions manufactured in Germany. I wish I owned 5 and 9 too. The recordings are bright, with occasional glare and harshness in tuttis. There's instrumental spotlighting but at least that lets you hear details well. As I wrote earlier, these aren't pretty recordings but they aren't what I would call bad either. (I have read that the First actually is bad. I don't know. Maybe George would add a further comment.)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the ones I own, but my two favorites are these:

They are both great performances, among the best. The Fourth is especially interesting because the last movement is marked Allegretto instead of Allegro and Rozh is slower than other performances. There is a rumour that he had access to a definitive score.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Quote from: rubio on June 16, 2007, 09:32:14 AM
I have the Mravinsky 11th on Melodiya in the below box set (haven't listened to it yet). It is from 02.02.1959. Is it the same performance as the Praga?

Nope. Mine is from 1967 with the Leningrad PO.

Drasko

Quote from: George on June 16, 2007, 04:24:40 PM
Nope. Mine is from 1967 with the Leningrad PO.

Yep, one and the same - 1967 live Prague = 1959 studio with added audience noise.

George

Quote from: Drasko on June 16, 2007, 04:39:11 PM
Yep, one and the same - 1967 live Prague = 1959 studio with added audience noise.

Right, my bad.

Boy, beauty and brains....

karlhenning

Just out of curiosity:  has anyone else (apart from Don, Bunny and yours truly) listened at all to the Maksim Dmitriyevich set?

SimonGodders

Quote from: sidoze on June 16, 2007, 02:09:18 AM
I like that most of his cycle. BMG or Olympia, Simon?

They are the same performances though, aren't they? Sound-wise, is there much difference? I've just found somewhere I can get hold of the Olympia discs at a price.... >:D

karlhenning

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2007, 01:44:35 PM
I envy you, Danny, as I'm still on the hunt for the perfect 10th.

What keeps the Jansons in Less Than Perfect mode by you, Steve, in the Tenth?

M forever

Speaking of the tenth, I recently discovered there is a recording of that with the Cleveland Orchestra and Christoph von D. Does anyone have that?

karlhenning

Quote from: M forever on July 02, 2007, 10:38:07 AM
Speaking of the tenth, I recently discovered there is a recording of that with the Cleveland Orchestra and Christoph von D. Does anyone have that?

Well?

I do not, but the first time I heard the piece, it was played by the Clevelanders.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: M forever on July 02, 2007, 10:38:07 AM

I missed it. I can't recall ever seeing it in a shop in the 90s. Like many of Dohnányi's now OOP recordings with the Cleveland, sellers are asking ridiculous prices for this disc ($149 :o)

Sarge

karlhenning

However good it might be, it would not be worth that, Sarge.

(Paging paulb, white courtesy telephone, please.)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on July 05, 2007, 06:41:38 AM
However good it might be, it would not be worth that, Sarge.

(Paging paulb, white courtesy telephone, please.)

You're right. Stilll, it's my hometown band and I'd like to hear it. Even more interesting is the filler (Lutoslawski Funeral music) because I've never heard that.

Sarge

not edward

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 05, 2007, 06:44:42 AM
You're right. Stilll, it's my hometown band and I'd like to hear it. Even more interesting is the filler (Lutoslawski Funeral music) because I've never heard that.

Sarge
The filler's now on a Double Decca (with more Lutoslawski and a disc of Szymanowski). Dohnanyi's Funeral music isn't very good, though, IMO.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music