Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: edward on July 05, 2007, 09:57:26 AM
The filler's now on a Double Decca (with more Lutoslawski and a disc of Szymanowski). Dohnanyi's Funeral music isn't very good, though, IMO.

At the risk of veering wildly off topic . . . whom do you prefer in the Musique funèbre, Edward?

not edward

Quote from: karlhenning on July 05, 2007, 10:00:52 AM
At the risk of veering wildly off topic . . . whom do you prefer in the Musique funèbre, Edward?
Without getting them all down and comparing them, the one I've tended to return to is Rowicki on the 2CD Philips set (Rowicki's also my favourite in the Concerto for Orchestra).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: edward on July 05, 2007, 09:57:26 AM
The filler's now on a Double Decca (with more Lutoslawski and a disc of Szymanowski). Dohnanyi's Funeral music isn't very good, though, IMO.

That one's OOP too...and expensive. I'm not having much luck today  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Just acquired the Barshai set today.

Thank you to "you know who you are!"  :)

So I should soon return to my Kondrashin set so that I can move on to the Barshai.  :)

M forever

Stand by. I may have found a source for the Dohnányi 10th. It may take a few days though. Best if you try not to piss me off in the meantime, if you want to hear it  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: M forever on July 06, 2007, 02:05:35 AM
Stand by. I may have found a source for the Dohnányi 10th. It may take a few days though. Best if you try not to piss me off in the meantime, if you want to hear it  ;D

Damn...and I was just about to enter the fray at the Beethoven HIP thread too.

I'll just have to bite my tongue and wait a bit then...until you deliver the goods. After that I can safely piss you off.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 16, 2007, 11:10:22 AM
They are both great performances, among the best. The Fourth is especially interesting because the last movement is marked Allegretto instead of Allegro and Rozh is slower than other performances. There is a rumour that he had access to a definitive score.

Well, that's curious.  FWIW . . . .

According to Kondrashin, the score to the Fourth was lost during the war. Shostakovich's friend Atovmyan found the surviving orchestral parts in Leningrad, and from them drew up a two-piano version (truly, a friend's part, and a labor of love).

Quote from: KondrashinI went to see Shostakovich. He said, 'Here on the piano is the version of the score that you have seen. As the full score was lost I've forgotten much of it. I need to look at it again to see whether the Symphony is worth performing, and whether it requires any changes.'

The next day he rang me. 'Kirill Petrovich, I'd be very happy for you to perform the Symphony. No changes need to be made. The piece is very dear to me as it is.'

karlhenning

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on June 11, 2007, 04:08:54 PM
My wife really digs the Leningrad. But she says the Roz. recordings on Russian Revelations sucks sound-wise.

Whom does your esteemed wife prefer in the 'Leningrad', PW?

karlhenning

Quote from: M forever on July 06, 2007, 02:05:35 AM
Stand by. I may have found a source for the Dohnányi 10th. It may take a few days though.

Nu?

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 11, 2007, 04:21:44 PM
They don't have the prettiest sound: they are very upfront and in your face; climactic moments can be glaring and harsh. But you get used to it.

I don't know, Sarge;  there is at least some music, in each of the 15 symphonies, which demands and deserves pretty sound.

karlhenning

Quote from: George on July 05, 2007, 12:03:04 PM
Just acquired the Barshai set today.

Thank you to "you know who you are!"  :)

So I should soon return to my Kondrashin set so that I can move on to the Barshai.  :)

Nu?

:)

M forever

I just contacted my "source". He said he was working on it. I can't tell you more at this time. I could, but then I would have to kill you.

karlhenning

Thanks for the update; your discretion, especially, is appreciated.

karlhenning

The Jansons recording of the Fourth is excellent, another credit to the cycle.

M forever

Oh yes, that's really great. :)

Quote from: karlhenning on July 13, 2007, 09:45:43 AM
Thanks for the update; your discretion, especially, is appreciated.

I am just trying to protect you. 8)

karlhenning

My  nu as meant to convey, as concisely as possible, two friendly queries, George: a. Has your listening included your intended (re-)visits to the Barshai and Kondrashin sets; and b. what have you discovered?

Didn't mean to confuse you :)

George

Quote from: karlhenning on July 14, 2007, 08:01:13 AM
My  nu as meant to convey, as concisely as possible, two friendly queries, George: a. Has your listening included your intended (re-)visits to the Barshai and Kondrashin sets; and b. what have you discovered?

Didn't mean to confuse you :)

I didn't think you meant to, but I didn't understand and the  ??? concisely communicated my confusion.  :)

Nu is what? (and?) In what language (Russian?)

No, I haven't returned to my listening because I haven't been emotionally ready for Kondrashin's 11.  :-\

I listened to Barshai's 1 and was dissapointed. Could have been the timing, so I will revisit and report back. 

M forever

So, are you still interested in hearing the extremely rare and very hard to find but as it turns out highly interesting DSCH10 with the Cleveland Orchestra and Christoph von D?