Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 03, 2013, 06:11:57 PM

On a related note, has anyone had a chance to hear the new recording of the 10th by Janssons and the Concertgebouw,  on their in house label (RCO Live)--or the concerts at which it was recorded, for that matter.
(Jens, I seem to remember a review or two of yours featuring Janssons on Ionarts--was this one of them?)

Nope... I wasn't at that concert. But I can tell you that from knowing what I do from and about the RCO-players and how they react to Jansons doing Shostakovich, I absolutely need to hear the recording!

Herman

Quote from: alkan on February 25, 2013, 01:36:22 AM
Pitter-patter !     Well, actually I admit that I used to see it this way too until I read Sanderling's program notes for the 15th  (below an excerpt from an earlier post). 

Sanderling had some interesting views.   He also said that the percussion at the end of the 15th symphony represents (I quote) "an intensive care ward in a hospital: the person is attached to various contraptions, and the dials and screens indicate that heartbeat and brain activity are gradually expiring, then comes a last convulsion and it's all over"     This transforms a rhythmic and snappy percussion ballet into something quite chilling ....

Although I still enjoy the interplay of the percussion rhythms, I can't get Sanderling's disturbing image out of my head when listening ....

I too have Maxim's recording on LP .... a historical document and an excellent recording.

That's a way of listening to it. The way I interpret the pitter patter is that DSCH is letting go of sound structured into music. It's music returning t mere sound; the noise the universe makes. Etcetera

valtys

Has anyone compared the new Melodiya reissues of Kondrashin's cycle compared to the Aulos release?

I own several of the original Melodiya recordings, and jumped on the Aulos set when it came out several years back. I never thought I would be tempted to buy the same recordings a third time!

But these recordings truly are incredible. If the new set has much better sound, I may get it.

I also wonder what people think of Kitajenko's cycle? After having listened to most of it, I am of the opinion that this could be one of the best sets to own. The 4th, 8th, 11th, and 12th are some of my favorites on there. The sound quality is absolutely superb. I already like this more than Barshai's cycle, which I thought was excellent as well.

jlaurson

Quote from: valtys on June 25, 2013, 12:16:12 PM
Has anyone compared the new Melodiya reissues of Kondrashin's cycle compared to the Aulos release?

Without side-by-side, except in the 4th and 15th, I'd say that the Melodiya cycle is just a tad better... but not nearly as much as the Aulos was better than previously available copies. So no... I suppose I'd not think it expedient to triple-up.

Love Kitajenko... hate his Fifth. But 14 out of 15 ain't bad.

valtys

Quote from: jlaurson on June 25, 2013, 01:00:45 PM
Without side-by-side, except in the 4th and 15th, I'd say that the Melodiya cycle is just a tad better... but not nearly as much as the Aulos was better than previously available copies. So no... I suppose I'd not think it expedient to triple-up.

Love Kitajenko... hate his Fifth. But 14 out of 15 ain't bad.

Thanks for the response! Looks like the Aulos set will be good enough as a keeper in regards to Kondrashin.

I agree that the 5th may be the weakest in Kitajenko's set.

Karl Henning

14 out of 15 isn't bad. But the Fifth is a hell of a ball to drop $:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: karlhenning on June 25, 2013, 01:48:40 PM
14 out of 15 isn't bad. But the Fifth is a hell of a ball to drop $:)

But it's also the least important in any set, because any DSCH-listener is bound to have several individual copies of their liking of that one, already.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Tyson

Kondrashin has been a favorite of mine for a very long time (have the Aulos set), but over time my appreciation for Haitink has grown quite a bit.  Enough that it's taken over the 2nd spot from Barshai, and it's making a charge for the top spot.  I've been finding the new Petrenko cycle overrated. 
At a loss for words.

relm1

Quote from: Tyson on July 07, 2013, 03:10:34 PM
Kondrashin has been a favorite of mine for a very long time (have the Aulos set), but over time my appreciation for Haitink has grown quite a bit.  Enough that it's taken over the 2nd spot from Barshai, and it's making a charge for the top spot.  I've been finding the new Petrenko cycle overrated.

I think I agree with you that petrenko seems overrated but the critics are consistently praising it.  What do you think of mark wigglesworth's cycle on BIS?  It's a unique interpretation to be sure.  Excellent sonics (except the symphony no. 7 where the levels are just too low).  I don't see his name mentioned much when discussing cycles.

Karl Henning

A little to my surprise, I find that I only have the Fourth and the Thirteenth from the Barshai cycle.  At the current price-point, even though I have my reservations, I should fetch in the set.

Quote from: Tyson on July 07, 2013, 03:10:34 PM
Kondrashin has been a favorite of mine for a very long time (have the Aulos set), but over time my appreciation for Haitink has grown quite a bit.  Enough that it's taken over the 2nd spot from Barshai, and it's making a charge for the top spot.

Yes! Haitink is too seldom given the musical credit here (and in his Vaughan Williams cycle) which is his due.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Petrenko . . . I've found all that I have heard good, sometimes very good indeed; and I feel that this is recommendation enough for the enterprise, certainly.  Perhaps there has been some inflated praise, though I understand a natural excitement during the progress of so strong an effort.  It isn't going to be fair to any present-day artist (and the practice of the art must continue, we don't want orchestral music to be entirely an archival affair) to demand that he match the very highest benchmark.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jay F

I'm continuing to listen to my Barshai cycle. I'm just tickled that I happened upon Shostakovich this late in life. I thought I'd heard everything I'd ever want to listen to, but instead, I have a whole new, huge body of work to revel in.

Karl Henning

That's a wonderful feeling, and this isn't the last of it!

Which symphonies have you heard, now?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jay F

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2013, 05:44:57 AM
That's a wonderful feeling, and this isn't the last of it!

Which symphonies have you heard, now?

Symphonies 3 through 9.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jay F

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2013, 06:05:02 AM
Splendid, carry on!

Just moved into ten. I'm listening on my computer, just playing it in order. I skipped 1 and 2, though.

Karl Henning

Half the time, the Tenth is my favorite Shostakovich symphony.

No pressure, though
  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

For whatever reason you may have skipped the First . . . if you're game, I should suggest listening to the First just before the Fifteenth, they are luminously complementary.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jay F

Quote from: karlhenning on July 10, 2013, 06:10:43 AM
For whatever reason you may have skipped the First . . . if you're game, I should suggest listening to the First just before the Fifteenth, they are luminously complementary.

Okay. I'll do that. I skipped the first and second symphonies because some reviewer said they weren't that good. Probably someone writing in the Penguin Guide. I don't remember.

I'm now listening to the fourth movement of the tenth. I think this is going to be a favorite movement.

Thanks, Karl.