Shostakovich Symphonies, Cycles & Otherwise

Started by karlhenning, April 25, 2007, 12:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greta

Jansons 5th with VPO, heard this on the radio:

Quote(there's a really interesting gear change in the Finale that will either repulse you or excite you)

Do I give it away?  ;D I thought it was kind of gimmicky but fun. I assume you're talking about the opening, as he begins quite slow and then suddenly ratchets up to high speed. I also really like his stately speed of the middle! When the brass come in for the end, it makes that so dramatic, and shows off the WP brass at those speeds. In the ending, the endurance of the WP is really something.

I loved this performance. Concise, pulled-together interpretation, musically interesting, blazing playing which alone makes it attractive. I would have loved to have heard that one live for sure!  ;)

M forever

I heard Jansons conduct the 5th in Berlin in the mid-late 80s (1886 or so?). That was actually his debut with the BP. The program included A Night on the Bare Mountain ("unfortunately" the Rimsky-Korsakov version), Dvořák's cello concerto with Antonio Meneses and DSCH5. I remember he wasn't that well known back then, although I had heard about (but not actually heard) his Tchaikovsky recordings in Oslo. It was a stunning debut. Jansons' conducting impressed audience and orchestra alike because of his high degree of control and elegant technique - he is one of the few conductors who actually *has* a developed conducting technique which allows him to show a lot of things in his beat, like Maazel. Anyway, it was a great concert and then he came back regularly. I also remember a concert with him a few years later with Fauré's P+M and Eine Alpensinfonie which was very, very good.

BachQ

Quote from: M forever on August 11, 2007, 11:46:55 AM
I heard Jansons conduct the 5th in Berlin in the mid-late 80s (1886 or so?). That was actually his debut with the BP. The program included A Night on the Bare Mountain ("unfortunately" the Rimsky-Korsakov version), Dvořák's cello concerto with Antonio Meneses and DSCH5. *** Anyway, it was a great concert and then he came back regularly.

Great program!!  8) (notwithstanding the Rimskyization of Mussorgsky's Night on Bare Mountain  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'()

Renfield

Quote from: D Minor on August 11, 2007, 12:02:53 PM
Great program!!  8) (notwithstanding the Rimskyization of Mussorgsky's Night on Bare Mountain  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'()

Yes, I never get why Rimsky-Korsakov's tampering with Night on Bare Mountain is as tolerated/liked, or even preferred to Mussorgsky's original piece as it seems to be. Setting aside the whole notion of performing pieces as the composer wrote them (see the whole debate about the various editions of the Bruckner symphonies, for instance), the original is better music!

Or at least to my ears, it is... If you smooth over everything that's ragged, in what way does what is left resemble the "horror" setting of the original Night on Bare Mountain!? That's like playing only the "happy" parts of Tchaikovsky's Pathetique, so as not to unsettle the audience. ::)

Edit: Wait, I just realised I'm off topic. Concerning Shostakovich symphony cycles, I have little to add to the discussion... I have the Haitink, which I find slightly over-refined but not all that bad, and the Kondrashin, which I consider no less than sublime. Though Mravinsky's 8th and Karajan's 10th are in a class of their own, as well. 8)

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 06, 2007, 07:47:52 AM
Damn...and I was just about to enter the fray at the Beethoven HIP thread too.

I'll just have to bite my tongue and wait a bit then...until you deliver the goods. After that I can safely piss you off.

Well, Sarge;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on August 24, 2007, 10:41:41 AM
Well, Sarge;D

I downloaded it shortly before I left for France and I still haven't listened to it. In fact, I haven't listened to much music at all for almost a month now--taking a sabbatical, resting my ears...and too, I've been incredibly busy this week preparing for the arrival of guests from the States. I'm not likely to get back into a regular routine (including participation here) until after they leave. I should listen to the Alpensinfonie though...we're going to Garmisch to ascend the Zugspitz.

As far as pissing off M...well, I've really been tempted a few times but he's been such a nice boy lately, so well-mannered and well-spoken, I'd hate to be the one to set him off  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 26, 2007, 05:37:04 AM

As far as pissing off M...well, I've really been tempted a few times but he's been such a nice boy lately, so well-mannered and well-spoken, I'd hate to be the one to set him off  :D

Sarge

This is a great example why one must read all of Sarge's posts, even if the topic may not on the surface be of great interest to one.  One always finds hidden treasures within. LOL.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on August 26, 2007, 05:50:12 AM
This is a great example why one must read all of Sarge's posts, even if the topic may not on the surface be of great interest to one.  One always finds hidden treasures within. LOL.

:D

rw1883

I bought this Kondrashin set through Ebay a few months back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shostakovich-Complete-Symphonies-Kondrashin-12CDs-BOX_W0QQitemZ260157192719QQihZ016QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've only gone through #8 really enjoying all the performances so far, but I find the sound to be really bright at times.  Does the Aulos or Melodiya set compare favorably transfer-wise? 

sound67

Don't know about this release, but the latest Melodiya makeover is stubstantial improvement over the BMG version of the 1990s.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

George

Quote from: sound67 on September 09, 2007, 10:14:51 AM
Don't know about this release, but the latest Melodiya makeover is stubstantial improvement over the BMG version of the 1990s.

Thomas

Indeed it is.  :)

karlhenning

Sacrée vache, can you believe that russiandvd.com has the Barshai set for $85?

karlhenning

Do you suppose paulb is supplying russiandvd, mon vieux?

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 26, 2007, 05:37:04 AM
I downloaded it shortly before I left for France and I still haven't listened to it.

Well, Sarge8)

(I, too, am at the "have downloaded, but have yet to listen" stage . . . .)

karlhenning

Sacrée vache, can you believe that Amazon.com has the Maksim Dmitriyevich set for $112?

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2007, 11:33:27 AM
Sacrée vache, can you believe that russiandvd.com has the Barshai set for $85?

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2007, 12:10:50 PM
Sacrée vache, can you believe that Amazon.com has the Maksim Dmitriyevich set for $112?

Yippee ........ Karl has found a new activity ........

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on September 10, 2007, 12:16:23 PM
Yippee ........ Karl has found a new activity ........

Tireless searching, and clean living, mon vieux

Great signature, BTW!

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: karlhenning on September 10, 2007, 03:20:24 PM
Tireless searching, and clean living, mon vieux

Great signature, BTW!

Positively Mesmerizing!