Most Lovely And Beautiful Recording Of ...?

Started by Zhiliang, February 05, 2008, 07:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhiliang

Hi,

I need some recommendations of YOUR most lovely and beautiful recording or favourite recording of these pieces :-

1. Mozart Piano Sonata No. 12 K332
2. Mozart Fantasie In D Minor K397
3. Chopin Prelude In C Sharp Minor Op. 45
4. Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 4

BorisG

Quote from: Zhiliang on February 05, 2008, 07:53:31 AM
Hi,

I need some recommendations of YOUR most lovely and beautiful recording or favourite recording of these pieces :-

1. Mozart Piano Sonata No. 12 K332
2. Mozart Fantasie In D Minor K397
3. Chopin Prelude In C Sharp Minor Op. 45
4. Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 4

1 & 2 - Gavrilov
3 - Michelangeli
4 - Sokolov

val

1. Mozart Piano Sonata No. 12 K332      / Leon McCawley
2. Mozart Fantasie In D Minor K397        / Jos van Immerseel   
3. Chopin Prelude In C Sharp Minor Op. 45  / Benedetti-Michelangeli
4. Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No.  / -

Josquin des Prez

Sergeant Rock

1. Mozart Piano Sonata No. 12 K332 - Uchida and Casadesus
2. Mozart Fantasie In D Minor K397 - Uchida and Casadesus

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

orbital

Quote from: BorisG on February 05, 2008, 12:51:44 PM

3 - Michelangeli
4 - Sokolov
Yes and yes. I had overlooked the Michelangeli prelude on that CD for a long time until I was reminded about it a few months ago. It is as good as it gets.
With the Rachmaninov prelude, although I am not completely taken by his take on the set, Weissenberg is very good on this one. He distibutes the weight between the two hands building the tension up and resolving it perfectly.

sidoze

Quote from: BorisG on February 05, 2008, 12:51:44 PM
3 - Michelangeli

Quote3. Chopin Prelude In C Sharp Minor Op. 45  / Benedetti-Michelangeli

QuoteI had overlooked the Michelangeli prelude on that CD for a long time until I was reminded about it a few months ago. It is as good as it gets.

If you will, identify and rate this performance:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ezbs7bmdynz

orbital

Just saw the link. Listened to it twice in a row. I can't make a suggestion as to who the pianist may be. I don't think Michelangeli would break those opening chords though ::)
I like the playing here. But I generally look for a little bit of extra pause at the end of each of these lines that end with the slide. The timing is faster than usual but it doesn't feel that way. So overall, it wouldn't be my favorite but I'd be curious to know  :)

sidoze

Quote from: orbital on February 08, 2008, 03:16:27 PM
Just saw the link. Listened to it twice in a row. I can't make a suggestion as to who the pianist may be. I don't think Michelangeli would break those opening chords though ::)
I like the playing here. But I generally look for a little bit of extra pause at the end of each of these lines that end with the slide. The timing is faster than usual but it doesn't feel that way. So overall, it wouldn't be my favorite but I'd be curious to know  :)

Thanks :) Now I am hoping our two friends above will listen to it as they both committed to a favourite already.

I've got another here if you feel inclined. I have very few left among the very few CDs I kept (and apparently no historical recordings of it) ::)

http://www.mediafire.com/?d9h9mym3mvd

orbital

I like this one better. Is that the Ashkenazy one on the Decca legends CD?

Zhiliang

Quote from: sidoze on February 08, 2008, 03:53:42 PM
Thanks :) Now I am hoping our two friends above will listen to it as they both committed to a favourite already.

I've got another here if you feel inclined. I have very few left among the very few CDs I kept (and apparently no historical recordings of it) ::)

http://www.mediafire.com/?d9h9mym3mvd

Haha, so is the first one by Michelangeli?

sidoze

Quote from: orbital on February 08, 2008, 06:40:47 PM
I like this one better. Is that the Ashkenazy one on the Decca legends CD?

Yeah it is, nice one (though I have it on a disc which includes his 1972 Chopin recital in England). f

As for the first one, it looks like Zhiliang's clutching-at-straws attempts have paid off because it is Michelangeli, the only other commercial release of him playing it AFAIK, a live one from 1967 in Prato available on a Diapason CD from Japan that includes an amazing Sonata 2 and 4 mazurkas. I was curious if anyone would notice because it's quite different from the one of 3 years later.

Zhiliang

Quote from: sidoze on February 09, 2008, 02:37:49 AM
Yeah it is, nice one (though I have it on a disc which includes his 1972 Chopin recital in England). f

As for the first one, it looks like Zhiliang's clutching-at-straws attempts have paid off because it is Michelangeli, the only other commercial release of him playing it AFAIK, a live one from 1967 in Prato available on a Diapason CD from Japan that includes an amazing Sonata 2 and 4 mazurkas. I was curious if anyone would notice because it's quite different from the one of 3 years later.

Haha, it is really just a guess, but i have always found Michelangeli's Chopin a little weird like its just not meant for him. I cant put better words to that. Havnt heard the DG one, so couldn't compare too.

Zhiliang

Rafał Blechacz, the recent winner of Chopin's competition, released an album on Chopin's preludes which also include the Op. 45 one. Is it worth buying?

sidoze

Quote from: Zhiliang on February 09, 2008, 07:15:11 AM
Haha, it is really just a guess, but i have always found Michelangeli's Chopin a little weird like its just not meant for him. I cant put better words to that. Havnt heard the DG one, so couldn't compare too.

which of his Chopin recordings have you heard then? the stuff on Youtube?

orbital

Quote from: sidoze on February 09, 2008, 02:37:49 AM

It is indeed very different from the one I have. I am surprised a bit actually to hear it is from Arturo. One thing I admire him the most is the evenness of his chords, that's why I thought the beginning did not sound like him at all  ::)

Drasko

Quote from: orbital on February 13, 2008, 08:46:15 AM
It is indeed very different from the one I have. I am surprised a bit actually to hear it is from Arturo. One thing I admire him the most is the evenness of his chords, that's why I thought the beginning did not sound like him at all  ::)

I believe he actually was quite often criticised for occasional tendency to roll chords.