MDL

Queen Elizabeth Hall, Sunday 17-02-08.

Karlheinz Stockhausen Gesang der junglinge for tape
Pierre Boulez Rituel in memoriam Bruno Maderna
INTERVAL
Olivier Messiaen Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum

London Sinfonietta, Peter Eötvös, conductor
Sound Intermedia

I've only just found out that this concert includes a performance, if that's the word, of Stockhausen's Gesang. Should be a cracker. I'm going. Any other GMGers going? Don't worry, I'm not trying to stalk anyone. I'm just curious.

some guy

Quote from: MDL on February 14, 2008, 04:20:48 AM
a performance, if that's the word, of Stockhausen's Gesang.

Depends on who's sitting at the mixing board. And how elaborate the speaker placement is. I attend dozens of all electroacoustic concerts every year, and sometimes the "tape" (nowadays either a CD or a sound file) is just put on the machine and somebody hits the play button. That's rare at those events. Usually there's quite a lot of activity--changing volume levels to different speakers, sending to sound(s) to this speaker and that. Shaping the whole business for the hall and the speaker setup. The less elaborate the programming is on the recording itself, the more elaborate the performance can be.

At the event you're about to attend, there will be very little "performance," I would guess. If any. Should be fun, though. Let us know!

bhodges

Damn...do report back.  That is one great-sounding program.

(On that same date, I'm hearing Levine and the MET Orchestra in Berg, Mozart, Webern and Richard Strauss.)

--Bruce

MDL

Quote from: bhodges on February 14, 2008, 09:53:59 AM
Damn...do report back.  That is one great-sounding program.

(On that same date, I'm hearing Levine and the MET Orchestra in Berg, Mozart, Webern and Richard Strauss.)

--Bruce

Well, that sounds like a good night out. I should point out that the Stockhausen was only added recently to Sunday's concert. It wouldn't have been a very long night otherwise. Perhaps they're playing Gesang as a tribute.

MDL

Queen Elizabeth Hall, Sunday 17-02-08.

London Sinfonietta, Peter Eötvös, conductor
Sound Intermedia

Karlheinz Stockhausen Gesang der junglinge for tape

This was the second time I've heard Gesang broadcast in a concert hall. I'm sure it was slightly louder when played as part of an electronic music festival in the Barbican in 2001, but it was still marvellous. It's a miracle that Stockhausen created such a complex work with such primitive equipment, but what really impresses is the lyrical intensity of the piece. This masterpiece received rather half-hearted applause.

Pierre Boulez Rituel in memoriam Bruno Maderna

This was the third time I've heard Rituel live. The gongs and tam-tams were arranged in a nest at the back of the stage. At a Prom performance several years ago, they were arranged in two rows of increasing size. Not only did the Prom Rituel look spectacular, it had a ceremonial impact as the percussionists wandered up and down the line. Still, if the QEH performance lacked that sense of theatre, musically, it was very powerful. Eötvös allowed the metal percussion to play slightly louder than I've heard before. The results impressed one lady in front of me, who, in the interval, remarked that she wasn't keen on the Boulez "..but the gongs were good." I was tempted to ask if she wasn't so keen on the tam-tams, but pendantry is never endearing.

Olivier Messiaen Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum

A few brass flubs aside (surprising from this normally immaculate ensemble), this was a powerful performance that drew by far the most enthusiastic response from the audience. Rather annoyingly, in between each section, the lights were dimmed for what seemed like an age. It was distracting and unnecessary, and the neither the piece nor the performance needed the extra help.

So, on the whole, a satisfying evening.