Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, Op.14

Started by JoshLilly, April 26, 2007, 07:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: O Mensch on April 26, 2007, 09:25:44 AM
Ormandy is great, but, oddly, cuts a few bars in the last movement.

If we're talking about Ormandy's Scheherazade, I remember a big cut near the end of the third movement, but can't recall anything cut in the fourth. I'm sure of the third movement cut, because that was the version our family owned when I was a kid, and when I first got a score and heard the movement complete it took me a while to get used to it.

karlhenning

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on April 26, 2007, 08:40:39 AM
If choosing between Gardiner and Norrington, go with Gardiner. Norrington sleepwalks through the piece. But there are modern instruments versions much better than either.

Just wanted to say that I did not mean to seem to endorse the Norrington (if it hath so seemed).  My impression at the time was simply a new view of the Berlioz, and as my ears were in those days, this did me the service of hearing the Symphonie fantastique afresh.

MishaK

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on April 26, 2007, 10:07:58 AM
If we're talking about Ormandy's Scheherazade, I remember a big cut near the end of the third movement, but can't recall anything cut in the fourth. I'm sure of the third movement cut, because that was the version our family owned when I was a kid, and when I first got a score and heard the movement complete it took me a while to get used to it.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Third, not fourth.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on April 26, 2007, 10:07:58 AM

I thought that was a bad edit....

karlhenning

Ormandy had scissor-happy fingers, the piker.

Haffner

MishaK

Quote from: Haffner on April 26, 2007, 10:36:32 AM
How good is this performance, O?

Excellent, really. It's part of his seminal Ring. It was the first of the four to be recorded.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on April 26, 2007, 07:32:30 AM
I would steer clear of Norrington. Mind you, I have only heard his first effort with whatever that English band of his was, London Classical Players or whatever.

I've done more than just hear it...I've lived with it for 18 years. Norrington's is still my favorite version of this symphony for reasons I'll detail later once I get my thoughts together.

Josh, Gardiner is definitely the safer bet--emphasis on safe--but if you want to hear something that sounds truly radical and different, you'll need to experience Norrington's Fantastique. There's nothing else like it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MishaK

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 26, 2007, 10:56:02 AM
Josh, Gardiner is definitely the safer bet--emphasis on safe--but if you want to hear something that sounds truly radical and different, you'll need to experience Norrington's Fantastique. There's nothing else like it.

It's also nothing quite like Berlioz's score.

Quote from: Steve on April 26, 2007, 11:09:51 AM
Anyone familar the Maazel?

I would post the image, but this is a school pc, and it simply will not behave!

http://www.amazon.com/Berlioz-Symphonie-Fantastique/dp/B000026H2A/ref=sr_1_4/002-8511684-6309615?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1177614577&sr=8-4

Alas, no. That is one of the few fantastiques that I haven't gotten my paws on quite yet. I meant to hear Maazel conduct the work with NYPO at the end of last season, but I unexpectedly had to move and thus had to give my tickets away.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Steve on April 26, 2007, 11:09:51 AM
Anyone familar the Maazel?

Yes, I own it. It was one of my first CD purchases, in fact: number 11. I like it but more for the sound of the recording (great early Telarc effort) and the brilliance of the Cleveland Orchestra (particularly the brass) than for anything Maazel does. Maybe I'm being too harsh. It's been awhile since I last heard it.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: O Mensch on April 26, 2007, 11:22:29 AM
It's also nothing quite like Berlioz's score.

Which just might be the ticket for Josh. He claims he doesn't like the symphony! So, let's give him something completely different ;D

Sarge

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on April 26, 2007, 08:04:30 AM
Gosh, I do enjoy the Munch/BSO reissues.  Tolerating them is no effort at all.

Yup that's my keeper, perhaps the best in town?  Whatever it is, it's darned good. :)

MishaK

Quote from: DavidW on April 26, 2007, 02:05:56 PM
Yup that's my keeper, perhaps the best in town?  Whatever it is, it's darned good. :)

I guess that depends on what town you mean.  ;)

val

To me Beecham recorded the best version. Powerful, with a great tension but also elegance.

In second place I would consider Paray with Detroit, with a faster tempo and a fabulous articulation.

Wanderer

The two recordings of Berlioz's masterpiece that have impressed me the most over the years are Markevich conducting the Orchestre Lamoureux de Paris and Jansons conducting the Berlin Philharmonic at the 2001 Europa concert in Constantinople (on DVD).

Que

I have another Markevitch recording - the first ever to leave me with a very favourable impression of this piece! :)

Symphonie fantastique by Berlioz
Berliner Philharmoniker

Jeux d'enfants by Georges Bizet
Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux

Q

Steve

Quote from: Wanderer on April 27, 2007, 12:31:52 AM
The two recordings of Berlioz's masterpiece that have impressed me the most over the years are Markevich conducting the Orchestre Lamoureux de Paris and Jansons conducting the Berlin Philharmonic at the 2001 Europa concert in Constantinople (on DVD).

That Jansons recording with the BPO - is it available on CD?

Hector

For some reason Americans do not like Norrington so, if you are American, opt for Gardiner but I think, good as he is, Norrington is a must.

Beecham's FNRO is as close to a period instrument band as you are ever, now, likely to get as they were still in possession of that unique French sound (the horns vibrato the obvious indicator) and the discipline to match.

Try Argenta's Paris Conservatoire recording from, roughly, the same period.

Both sound pretty good, still.

Paray is different altogether. He moulded his brilliant Detroit band into the French orchestra of his dreams. Not for repeated listening but worth the occasional airing.

Incidentally, Beecham, as usual, cuts, in this case the 1st movement repeat.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: O Mensch on April 26, 2007, 10:50:27 AM
Excellent, really. It's part of his seminal Ring. It was the first of the four to be recorded.

I am not in love with some of the gimmicks in terms of sound effects they used in that recording. But the recording is excellent by any standards. The opening E-flate pedal is so deep, rich, and natural, it has never been better.