Philippe Gaubert (1879-1941)

Started by pjme, February 05, 2008, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

Timpani Records is possibly the most adventurous French music label.

The Luxemburg PO / Marc Soustrot have recorded Gaubert's Symphony, Concert en fa (Tryptique) and Les chants de la mer.
Gaubert is better known as a conductor and some of his recordings with the Orchestre des Concerts du Conservatoire have been re-issued ( César Franck, Ravel, Dukas, his own Chants de la mer etc).
He was also a famous flautist and wrote some works that survive in the repertoire.

This is the first ever recording of the Symphony and the Concert in Fa. It could be really interesting!
But we have to wait : the disc will be issued in May.

Timpani has also recorded Vincent d'Indy's "Italian" symphony - a student work, thought to be lost. It is coupled with a very late Concert for flute, cello ,piano and string orchestra.

Symphonie en la mineur « Italienne » (37'33)
1 – Rome. Andante maestoso ; Allegro ma non troppo (14'57)
2 – Florence. Allegro vivace (5'36)
3 – Venise. Andante, sans lenteur (6'00)
4 – Naples. Saltarelle : Allegro ma non troppo (11'10)

Concert op. 89 (21'43)
5 – Modéré, mais bien décidé (6'30)
6 – Lent et expressif (11'16)
7 – Mouvement de ronde française (3'57)

Dundonnell

A review of the Timpani disc-

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/Oct08/gaubertsym_1C1135.htm

Sounds good :) :)

I suppose I shall have to add this one on to the Cras discs also recommended the other day ;D

Money, money, money........... :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Another composer to keep in mind. Thanks, Peter.

Money, money, money indeed. AND - time, time, time...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

Quote from: pjme on February 05, 2008, 02:29:20 PM
Timpani Records is possibly the most adventurous French music label.

Timpani is certainly an enormously interesting label, but I think the laurels for being most adventurous still goes to Alpha.

Grazioso

Thanks for the info. As a symphony explorer/collector, I will investigate.... For those interested in Gaubert, you can get a two-disc set of his flute & piano music on Brilliant (formerly Chandos).
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Grazioso on October 04, 2008, 04:23:17 AM
Thanks for the info. As a symphony explorer/collector, I will investigate.... For those interested in Gaubert, you can get a two-disc set of his flute & piano music on Brilliant (formerly Chandos).

Thanks!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

schweitzeralan

Recently I came across a new recording of the French composer Gauberg ilisted n one of the UK Music magazines.  There is some ibit little info on te Internet.  The Symphony in F is listed as availabe at Amazon.com Fr. What little I learned was that he wrote significantlt for flute.  For me, no interest there.  But then I read there was a symphony.  Influences are Franck, Debussy, Ravel. I like music of the early 20th century romantics/impressionists.  Does anyone know anything about this little known composer? 

schweitzeralan

Quote from: schweitzeralan on February 08, 2009, 09:50:41 AM
Recently I came across a new recording of the French composer Gauberg ilisted n one of the UK Music magazines.  There is some ibit little info on te Internet.  The Symphony in F is listed as availabe at Amazon.com Fr. What little I learned was that he wrote significantlt for flute.  For me, no interest there.  But then I read there was a symphony.  Influences are Franck, Debussy, Ravel. I like music of the early 20th century romantics/impressionists.  Does anyone know anything about this little known composer? 

OK.  I'm answering my own question. I located a site which briefly gives an overview of his style.  It appears that he was an expert flautist and a fine conductor.  His Symphony in F leaves, however, much to be desired according to the brief criticism of his work. The brief analysis I happened to come across states that Gaubereg's symphony and his chamber works do evince to a minimal extent works of several of his contemporaries; but, for the most part his one symphony lacks substance, innovation, or depth. Let this one go. 

Dundonnell

Be not quite so hasty to give up on Gaubert :)

This review speaks highly of the works on the Timpani disc and, although I have only found time to listen to the music once, I was pleasantly impressed by it. I would not, perhaps, go quite as far as the reviewer on Musicweb but Gaubert is certainly worth giving an opportunity :)

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classRev/2008/Oct08/gaubertsym_1C1135.htm

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 08, 2009, 03:48:56 PM

This review speaks highly of the works on the Timpani disc and, although I have only found time to listen to the music once, I was pleasantly impressed by it. I would not, perhaps, go quite as far as the reviewer on Musicweb but Gaubert is certainly worth giving an opportunity :)

Thanks for the post; I may give it a try.  I would like to be able to hear the symphony, or, at least parts of it before gambling on its purchase.  Thanks again.  Very informative.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 08, 2009, 03:48:56 PM

I gambled on procuring the recording.  So far I heard two works included.  From a cursory listening I can happily say 'Not all that bad."  No quintessential masterpieces to be sure, but there are scattered occasional impressionistic nuances throughout the two works I began listening to.  Some Debussyian influences, plus those of D'Indy, Dukas, and Franck. Little, but some Marxian shades here and there.  Recommended after all for those listeners who, like myself, appreciate impressionistic music. Not exclusively of course, but significantly addicted.
Thought I had exhaused all orchestral impressionist composers. There's hope yet.

Dundonnell

Glad that your investment was not wasted ;D

I agree with you that the works on this cd are not undiscovered masterpieces but they are not negligible works either :)

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 18, 2009, 07:22:55 AM
Glad that your investment was not wasted ;D

I agree with you that the works on this cd are not undiscovered masterpieces but they are not negligible works either :)

Again, many musical works demand repeated listenings, at least on my part, before I can state categorically if I like the work or not. I'm appreciating more and more various sections of this newly recorded work, in particular, I like the pervasive Debussyian nuances.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: schweitzeralan on March 05, 2009, 04:48:03 AM
Again, many musical works demand repeated listenings, at least on my part, before I can state categorically if I like the work or not. I'm appreciating more and more various sections of this newly recorded work, in particular, I like the pervasive Debussyian nuances.

I've come to love the second movement of the Symphonie.  Lovely, debussyian moments.  Quite subtle.  Also listened on You tube a "Nocturne for Piano and Flute." Neat!