Hi from an avid reader

Started by Jupiter, February 10, 2008, 05:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jupiter

Hello everyone. I'm not a beginner to classical music, but since I've just registered I thought I should introduce myself. I live in Australia, work as a teacher/librarian and I've been reading this forum for several years now. I have about 1000 cds and records, ranging across many genres (pop, jazz, rock, etc); about 400 of which are classical cds. Ever since I turned 40 (4 years ago), all I ever listen to is classical or jazz. Anything else seems to lack substance. I'm currently listening to Brendel's LVB's Piano Concertos, Shostakovich's piano and violin concertos, and this morning while driving to work listened to Solti's Mahler 8th (the Legends series) - very intense (too intense for driving, really). Anyway, hi everyone  :)

Bogey

Welcome Jupiter.  Look forward to hearing about your future listening.  Would like to try that Solti Mahler....might be just what I need to finally get in line with this composer.  Who do you have going for the LvB PC's?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

springrite

Welcome! We are the same age! Hooray!!!

Jupiter

Bogey, I have Beethoven: Complete Piano Concertos (Alfred Brendel: Piano Concertos 1-5 w/Levine, CSO; "Choral" Fantasy, Op. 80 w/ Haitink, LPC, LPO), amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-Concertos-Brendel-Fantasy/dp/B000065TV4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202698281&sr=1-9

I like the tone he gets in the slow movements (In fact, I am coming to the opinion that LvB's slow movements - chamber and symphonic - are some of LvB's most profound material. The slow movement in the 9th is spellbinding).

Bogey

Quote from: Jupiter on February 10, 2008, 05:56:15 PM
Bogey, I have Beethoven: Complete Piano Concertos (Alfred Brendel: Piano Concertos 1-5 w/Levine, CSO; "Choral" Fantasy, Op. 80 w/ Haitink, LPC, LPO), amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Complete-Concertos-Brendel-Fantasy/dp/B000065TV4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202698281&sr=1-9

I like the tone he gets in the slow movements (In fact, I am coming to the opinion that LvB's slow movements - chamber and symphonic - are some of LvB's most profound material. The slow movement in the 9th is spellbinding).

Absolutely.  The Adagio in PC #5 never fails.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Harry

Welcome Jupiter amongst the other planets.
Hope you find what you are looking for. :)