Author Topic: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!  (Read 1938809 times)

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: Non-Classical Music Listening Thread!
« Reply #27040 on: Today at 04:45:41 AM »
Papy,

Did you ever hear of a group named Kornog?

PD

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27041 on: Today at 04:52:56 AM »
O’Reilly: The Children of Lir

Every Irish person loves a good story. We have an oral tradition going back thousands of years. One of the greatest stories in that tradition is The Children of Lir. It is a magical, compelling story. I own an orchestral version with narration and this one is my folk version. This is a fine modern version in the Celtic tradition.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27042 on: Today at 04:55:24 AM »
that has put me in a celtic mood... 10 years in Brittany left some traces...

Good for you Olivier.
Just remember that nostalgia is not what it used to be  ;D

This is how I remember Stivell

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #27043 on: Today at 05:03:19 AM »
Papy,
PD

Doesn't ring a bell, PD. checking this one out now :

A Qobuz search brought me up 5 albums by Kornog, which is good...  all the others were by Korngold  :laugh:
Olivier

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #27044 on: Today at 05:12:15 AM »
Good for you Olivier.
Just remember that nostalgia is not what it used to be  ;D

This is how I remember Stivell

I know  :-[ a trip down memory lane doesn't hurt every now and then ;D... Although, coming across videos of the yearly Festival de Cornouaille in Quimper made me pine for the large procession on the last Sunday with all the pipe bands (from Brittany towns, even boroughs, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Galicia, etc..) and the traditional costumes...Loved it when I attended a few.

here is one:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y2cASmitbIU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y2cASmitbIU</a>

Olivier

Offline Old San Antone

« Reply #27045 on: Today at 05:20:58 AM »
Elvis Presley: The Searcher (The Original Soundtrack)

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #27046 on: Today at 05:35:34 AM »
O’Reilly: The Children of Lir

Every Irish person loves a good story. We have an oral tradition going back thousands of years. One of the greatest stories in that tradition is The Children of Lir. It is a magical, compelling story. I own an orchestral version with narration and this one is my folk version. This is a fine modern version in the Celtic tradition.

I could only find this version. I'll check it later.

Olivier

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27047 on: Today at 05:36:04 AM »
I know  :-[ a trip down memory lane doesn't hurt every now and then ;D... Although, coming across videos of the yearly Festival de Cornouaille in Quimper made me pine for the large procession on the last Sunday with all the pipe bands (from Brittany towns, even boroughs, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Galicia, etc..) and the traditional costumes...Loved it when I attended a few.

here is one:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y2cASmitbIU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y2cASmitbIU</a>

Cheers, Olivier. I enjoyed that. Great music and wonderfully colourful pageantry. Great also to see younger people involved; hopefully they will keep the traditions alive.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27048 on: Today at 05:37:49 AM »
I could only find this version. I'll check it later.

That is the orchestral ["Classical"] version with heartfelt narration. It is very good but may not appeal to everyone's taste. I love it, naturally.

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #27049 on: Today at 05:47:13 AM »
Cheers, Olivier. I enjoyed that. Great music and wonderfully colourful pageantry. Great also to see younger people involved; hopefully they will keep the traditions alive.

That was already the case nigh on 30 years when I was there...Lots of youngsters on drums and on the bombarde (shawm ?). Nice to see it is still the case.

That is the orchestral ["Classical"] version with heartfelt narration. It is very good but may not appeal to everyone's taste. I love it, naturally.

Excellent, will try and line it up tomorrow.

Papy,
PD

Finished that Kornog live album PD, very good, enjoyed that. More to explore later. thank you for the heads-up.
Olivier

Online Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #27050 on: Today at 06:49:24 AM »
Pleased to hear that you enjoyed it Olivier.

Aligreto,

I get shocked every time that I look in the mirror!   ???

PD