What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?

Started by Bonehelm, May 24, 2007, 08:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Harry on March 19, 2024, 08:00:49 AMThat could prove a very difficult thing to achieve ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ::)
"Happy wife, happy life".  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on March 19, 2024, 07:08:03 AMThanks - we are planning to get some large rugs for both rooms.

If you have any pets they'll thank you too!  My dog absolutely hates hardwood floors.

DavidW

Quote from: Harry on March 19, 2024, 08:00:49 AMThat could prove a very difficult thing to achieve ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ::)

I wonder if she also appreciates the most depressing neoromantic symphonies! :laugh:

DavidW

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 19, 2024, 06:37:54 AMOn the other hand, carpets can muffle sound. Good sound reproduction system would include acoustic room treatment, vibration control, et al. 

You make it sound equal, but it is not at all.  It is far superior to have carpets, plants etc. instead of long planes of hard floor, walls, ceilings.  That is part of room treatment.  It doesn't have to be about throwing huge amounts of money at acoustic panels.  You can just use common sense.  Carpet the floors, curtains for the windows.  Maybe some plants.

DavidW

Quote from: Harry on March 19, 2024, 06:49:20 AMCan yes, but if then are thin enough it will work in a positive way. That's how I did it in my listening room.  The sound is not muffled, but beautifully balanced.

The kind of thick rugs he is talking about are difficult to vacuum anyway.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on March 19, 2024, 08:49:25 AMIf you have any pets they'll thank you too!  My dog absolutely hates hardwood floors.
Yes, I suspect his cat (Who I hope is still doing well).  And, yes, claws on hard wood floors can lead to a lot of slipping and sliding!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

AnotherSpin

Quote from: DavidW on March 19, 2024, 08:53:31 AMYou make it sound equal, but it is not at all.  It is far superior to have carpets, plants etc. instead of long planes of hard floor, walls, ceilings.  That is part of room treatment.  It doesn't have to be about throwing huge amounts of money at acoustic panels.  You can just use common sense.  Carpet the floors, curtains for the windows.  Maybe some plants.

I didn't make anything equal, I just said they can. Likewise, speaker placement can play a huge role in the specifics of the sound. Even a slight movement left-right or back and forth can be well perceptible.

DavidW

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 19, 2024, 11:51:53 AMI didn't make anything equal, I just said they can. Likewise, speaker placement can play a huge role in the specifics of the sound. Even a slight movement left-right or back and forth can be well perceptible.

I've noticed that too.  With both the speakers and my listening position.

Daverz

Quote from: AnotherSpin on March 19, 2024, 11:51:53 AMI didn't make anything equal, I just said they can. Likewise, speaker placement can play a huge role in the specifics of the sound. Even a slight movement left-right or back and forth can be well perceptible.

A Stabila laser distance measurer is one of the best investements I ever made in "audio" equipment.

My listening room is difficult for setup because of the lack of symmetry or even a sufficient length of wall behind the speakers to measure against.  (Pic below is taken from the loft above the semi-open kitchen).  To deal with the lack of symmetry, I have the bookshelf speakers on stands well out into the room away from any side walls and sit fairly close (within 2.5 meters).  That results in some pretty ragged response in the low bass, so to deal with that I cross over the mains to a subwoofer at 120 Hz with a very steep crossover filter. I don't hear the subwoofer as a separate source of sound with this setup; the bass is smoothly integrated with the mains. 

I can actually do without the subwoofer much of the time, though.  It does add solidity on the very bottom end and takes the stress off the main speakers in big climaxes those rare times I can crank up the volume.

Valentino

Oh, @Daverz. That might be one of the most difficult rooms I've seen. Every natural place for a speaker is a traffic area.
Your solution is good though.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on March 19, 2024, 08:49:25 AMIf you have any pets they'll thank you too!  My dog absolutely hates hardwood floors.
Our cat is more or less permanently ensconced on a small white fluffy rug in front of the wood burner.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on March 19, 2024, 01:54:59 PMA Stabila laser distance measurer is one of the best investements I ever made in "audio" equipment.

My listening room is difficult for setup because of the lack of symmetry or even a sufficient length of wall behind the speakers to measure against.  (Pic below is taken from the loft above the semi-open kitchen).  To deal with the lack of symmetry, I have the bookshelf speakers on stands well out into the room away from any side walls and sit fairly close (within 2.5 meters).  That results in some pretty ragged response in the low bass, so to deal with that I cross over the mains to a subwoofer at 120 Hz with a very steep crossover filter. I don't hear the subwoofer as a separate source of sound with this setup; the bass is smoothly integrated with the mains. 

I can actually do without the subwoofer much of the time, though.  It does add solidity on the very bottom end and takes the stress off the main speakers in big climaxes those rare times I can crank up the volume.

Aiee!  Yep, that's a hard one!  Do you ever use the fireplace?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Daverz

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 20, 2024, 07:23:22 AMAiee!  Yep, that's a hard one!  Do you ever use the fireplace?

PD

No, a silly thing to have in Southern California. I have a pair of big monoblock tube amps for chilly days.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on March 20, 2024, 02:06:14 PMNo, a silly thing to have in Southern California. I have a pair of big monoblock tube amps for chilly days.

Tubes are great in the wintertime!  Not so much so on a hot summer's day.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter