Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: MN Dave on February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM
Post your non-classical music (book, magazine, garden tool, sex aid, etc.) purchases in this thread.

I bought this today.

5-ply...unrivaled luxury

Edit: hmmmm....I wonder how they tested it. How do they determine a test winner? On second thought, I don't think I want to know  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MN Dave

Now THIS is going to be an interesting thread.  ;D

karlhenning

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on February 08, 2008, 04:29:44 AM
It keeps me running!

So you could make use of that 5-ply too, I guess.  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

That wasn't quite the resonance of the run . . . .

karlhenning

MN Dave

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 08, 2008, 04:31:01 AM

So you could make use of that 5-ply too, I guess.  ;D

Sarge
;D  Touche!

My purchases today included several boxes of Kleenex, several travel packets of Kleenex, and Blazing Saddles.

karlhenning

71 dB

Play.com:

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon - 7.99 euros
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear - 7.99 euros
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MN Dave

Thanks for reviving this thread, my friend. :)

Music: Just recently I purchased some Rihanna tracks (I know, I know. They were for my wife! No, really!) and NIA by Blackalicious (hip-hop without the gangsta sh*t).

Books: ONE FOR SORROW by Christopher Barzak and THE QUIET GIRL by Peter Hoeg (in which the protagonist hears in musical keys and is a Bach aficionado. An extraordinary thriller.)

Bogey

Quote from: O Mensch on February 07, 2008, 01:59:22 PM
This:

Borrowed this from Netflix and was so hooked I decided I had to have it. Not quite on the level of Planet Earth, but for an avid birdwatcher like myself an absolute must. Just amazing footage.

Great set there Mensch!  By the way, we have a number of nuthatches (red and white breasted) at our feeders for the first time ever.  I guess a drought in Canada is driving them south and a few came our way.  Have you heard about this?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: George on February 18, 2008, 06:57:02 AM

Wow George, seeing those Queen album covers brought back memories for me. Queen were the first band I seriously 'got into' back in '77 when I was 11 years old. I saved my pocket money to buy those very albums. The Game was a couple of years later and wasn't a classic 'Queen' album for me although it was a mega-hit for them in the States. I'm not interested in Queen music anymore [can't stand the sight of Mercurys posing and pouting] but I still appreciate their contribution to interesting melodic rock music and retain a soft spot for their first six albums and the warm memories they invoke.  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Solitary Wanderer

Well, I've wanted one of these for about a year and I've decided to splash out and buy myself one. I've bought it from a dealer on Amazon which, including the freight costs, is still about NZ$800.00 better than any deal I can get here.

I've really been needing the telephoto lens this season so I'm very excited to have this on the way.  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

George

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on February 18, 2008, 10:47:28 AM
Wow George, seeing those Queen album covers brought back memories for me. Queen were the first band I seriously 'got into' back in '77 when I was 11 years old. I saved my pocket money to buy those very albums. The Game was a couple of years later and wasn't a classic 'Queen' album for me although it was a mega-hit for them in the States. I'm not interested in Queen music anymore [can't stand the sight of Mercurys posing and pouting] but I still appreciate their contribution to interesting melodic rock music and retain a soft spot for their first six albums and the warm memories they invoke.  :)

Yeah, they were the first band that clicked for me. My first LP was a gift - their Greatest Hits. The above masterings are said by many to be the best available for those albums. I've already heard The Game and I am very impressed. I lost interest right after The Game, but still love the first 8, except for maybe Jazz.  :-\

Kullervo

A few books

Guy Deutscher - The Unfolding of Language: An Evolutionary Tour of Man's Greatest Invention
Sigmund Freud - The Ego and the Id (The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud) (Yeah, yeah, I know  ::))
Ivan Turgenev - Fathers and Children
Hermann Broch - The Sleepwalkers
Nikolai Gogol - Dead Souls
Thomas Mann - Joseph and His Brothers (:o)

MN Dave

Quote from: Corey on February 19, 2008, 04:56:49 AM
A few books

Guy Deutscher - The Unfolding of Language: An Evolutionary Tour of Man's Greatest Invention
Sigmund Freud - The Ego and the Id (The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud) (Yeah, yeah, I know  ::))
Ivan Turgenev - Fathers and Children
Hermann Broch - The Sleepwalkers
Nikolai Gogol - Dead Souls
Thomas Mann - Joseph and His Brothers (:o)

Corey, you are one heavy dude.

I bought some albums:

Nazareth - HAIR OF THE DOG
The Buggles - THE AGE OF PLASTIC
Erasure - LOVEBOAT
Miss Kittin - BATBOX
Utopia - ANTHOLOGY

karlhenning

Quote from: MN Dave on February 19, 2008, 05:01:20 AM
The Buggles - THE AGE OF PLASTIC

Trevor Rabin did music for Enemy of the State, you know.