Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Quote from: The new erato on November 15, 2015, 05:01:50 AM
Why don't you tell us what it is?

Oh sorry, true, the cover doesn't give much information.

It's an album, just three tracks, by The Basnard Lakes. The album names is The Golden Lion. A bit monotone music, though creates some pleasurable mood.

Just like to discover some obscure pop music sometimes. To remember myself that I prefer jazz much over pop music.

Green Destiny

[asin]B0000242CG[/asin]

[asin]B00000J1YS[/asin]

Green Destiny

Pre-Ordered Coldplay's new album:

[asin]B017IS0HY0[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: Green Destiny on November 20, 2015, 01:10:52 PM
[asin]B0000242CG[/asin]

[asin]B00000J1YS[/asin]

One of my all time favorite bands.  Brothers in Arms was probably my least favorite of there output though.  All the other stuff was unbelievable.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Green Destiny

Quote from: Bogey on November 22, 2015, 04:12:59 AM
One of my all time favorite bands.  Brothers in Arms was probably my least favorite of there output though.  All the other stuff was unbelievable.

Excellent Bogey :)

Green Destiny

Picked up a couple more Royksopp albums:

[asin]B001R7IGOC[/asin]

[asin]B003V13W78[/asin]

Henk

From the local record-store

Mirror Image

Those are great Brubeck albums, Henk. Enjoy. 8)

Henk

I sure will, now actually. Yeah, Brubeck is great, need to collect more. But the other albums, John, you would greatly enjoy them, if you would buy them.. :)

Henk

Already had the Douglas on mp3 but it's so good that I got the recording as well.

Henk

Henk

Singer-song writer. Really good stuff. This year's release.

Henk

"A companion to such acclaimed works as The Age of Wonder, A Clockwork Universe, and Darwin's Ghosts—a groundbreaking examination of the greatest event in history, the Scientific Revolution, and how it came to change the way we understand ourselves and our world.

We live in a world transformed by scientific discovery. Yet today, science and its practitioners have come under political attack. In this fascinating history spanning continents and centuries, historian David Wootton offers a lively defense of science, revealing why the Scientific Revolution was truly the greatest event in our history.

The Invention of Science goes back five hundred years in time to chronicle this crucial transformation, exploring the factors that led to its birth and the people who made it happen. Wootton argues that the Scientific Revolution was actually five separate yet concurrent events that developed independently, but came to intersect and create a new worldview. Here are the brilliant iconoclasts—Galileo, Copernicus, Brahe, Newton, and many more curious minds from across Europe—whose studies of the natural world challenged centuries of religious orthodoxy and ingrained superstition.

From gunpowder technology, the discovery of the new world, movable type printing, perspective painting, and the telescope to the practice of conducting experiments, the laws of nature, and the concept of the fact, Wotton shows how these discoveries codified into a social construct and a system of knowledge. Ultimately, he makes clear the link between scientific discovery and the rise of industrialization—and the birth of the modern world we know."

Henk

Green Destiny

Pre-ordered the new Star Wars movie today:

Ill try to catch it on the big screen too at some stage during the next few weeks.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Picked up these box sets from ex-Genesis guitarist/co-founder Anthony Phillips:

For anyone who likes Genesis' Trespass and liked Phillips' contributions to the band during those times really should check out his solo career. He's recorded some outstanding albums and I would put him on par with Steve Hackett's solo material, although Phillips is much more into the pastoral, beautiful side of music.

https://www.youtube.com/v/kd1_I_Rq4Ac

Henk

North Star

A book on Sudek, with a 5 € discount at the nearby Internet bookstore.
[asin]3777452912[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

HIPster

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)