The Back Room > The Diner

Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

<< < (692/694) > >>

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 30, 2021, 07:25:56 AM ---My main personal-use laptop, a 13" MacBook Pro, is turning 9 years old. Still works just fine, but I feel like treating myself with something more up-to-date. Placed an order for the just-released 14" MacBook Pro, after being tempted by a black-friday/cyber-monday deal offering $200 off the base model.

I've been waiting for this product. Last years MacBooks with the M1 processor dispensed with some "obsolete" features (that many people don't consider obsolete) in the quest for a thinner, lighter configuration. This year Apple took note of criticism and the new MacBook models restore the MagSafe power connector, SD card reader, HDMI connector. More computing power than I need (I won't be using the advanced video processing) but a gorgeous, very high resolution display will be a big plus when looking at my photographs.

--- End quote ---
Nice deal!  Question:  are they still no longer including a DVD/CD drive?  And if so, are the external ones still for sale?  Would love to have the higher resolution, etc. of a new one.

PD

Spotted Horses:

--- Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2021, 07:39:58 AM ---Nice deal!  Question:  are they still no longer including a DVD/CD drive?  And if so, are the external ones still for sale?  Would love to have the higher resolution, etc. of a new one.

PD

--- End quote ---

I think that even in 2013 when I got my old MacBook the optical drives had been entirely phased out. I vaguely remember the MacBook I got around 1996 had one. I'm not sure if Apple still sells overpriced external CD/DVD drives, but I have an USB CD/DVD drive from ASUS that costs $30 and works beautifully with Macs or PCs. I can't remember when I've used an optical drive to do anything but rip a CD, DVD or BluRay disc to my hard disk.

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 30, 2021, 07:25:56 AM ---My main personal-use laptop, a 13" MacBook Pro, is turning 9 years old. Still works just fine, but I feel like treating myself with something more up-to-date. Placed an order for the just-released 14" MacBook Pro, after being tempted by a black-friday/cyber-monday deal offering $200 off the base model.

I've been waiting for this product. Last years MacBooks with the M1 processor dispensed with some "obsolete" features (that many people don't consider obsolete) in the quest for a thinner, lighter configuration. This year Apple took note of criticism and the new MacBook models restore the MagSafe power connector, SD card reader, HDMI connector. More computing power than I need (I won't be using the advanced video processing) but a gorgeous, very high resolution display will be a big plus when looking at my photographs.

--- End quote ---

What is the size of the hard drive? I wouldn't buy anything less than 2 TB nowadays.

Pohjolas Daughter:

--- Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 30, 2021, 07:46:02 AM ---I think that even in 2013 when I got my old MacBook the optical drives had been entirely phased out. I vaguely remember the MacBook I got around 1996 had one. I'm not sure if Apple still sells overpriced external CD/DVD drives, but I have an USB CD/DVD drive from ASUS that costs $30 and works beautifully with Macs or PCs. I can't remember when I've used an optical drive to do anything but rip a CD, DVD or BluRay disc to my hard disk.

--- End quote ---
I suspected as much.  I sometimes like to watch DVDs on my iMac (also "vintage").  Will keep ASUS in mind.  :)

PD

Mirror Image:
I use an older 2012 Apple Macbook Pro, here are stats on it:

Processor: 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Storage: 2 TB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I have the HDMI output going into a 32" Samsung TV. I use an Apple Magic Keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse 2 (no batteries --- thank God!!!). My laptop stays closed and is docked with a fan on the desk beside my main one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version