Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 07:01:51 AM
I use an older 2012 Apple Macbook Pro, here are stats on it:

Processor: 2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Storage: 2 TB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

I have the HDMI output going into a 32" Samsung TV. I use an Apple Magic Keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse 2 (no batteries --- thank God!!!). My laptop stays closed and is docked with a fan on the desk beside my main one.
Do you subscribe to a video streaming service John?  I don't.  I do have a separate DVD/CD/SACD player that is attached to my t.v.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2021, 06:56:06 AM
I suspected as much.  I sometimes like to watch DVDs on my iMac (also "vintage").  Will keep ASUS in mind.  :)

PD

Watching DVDs on a computer never worked for me, the clattering of the disc was too distracting. My DVDs are ripped to external hard discs and I watch video using simple media streaming software.

I've used other brands, LG, Samsung, they seem to be pretty much identical in performance and reliability. On a laptop I don't see much need for an optical drive, easy enough to plug one in on the relatively rare occasions when one is needed. And they are mechanical gadgets which are more likely to fail than any other component of a computer. Much easier to get another generic USB drive than have an internal drive replaced.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 06:53:07 AM
What is the size of the hard drive? I wouldn't buy anything less than 2 TB nowadays.

Nowadays all MacBooks have solid state hard drives. I opted for a 512 GB drive, although much larger drives are available. I would never go back to a mechanical hard drive in a laptop - the speed advantage of the SSD is too valuable to me.

I've got 12 TB of external hard drive storage on my desktop computer which contains all of my media files, and 2 TB of cloud storage available to all of the computers. The MacBook is for on-the-go creative work and the relatively small SSD is more than enough for me.

The main selling points of the new laptop are processor speed, high resolution display (3024x1964) and battery life (more than 12 hours, depending on what you are doing). The processor has 8 'performance' cores and 2 'efficiency' core which facilitate the extended battery life.

I have the HDMI output going into a 32" Samsung TV. I use an Apple Magic Keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse 2 (no batteries --- thank God!!!). My laptop stays closed and is docked with a fan on the desk beside my main one.

I like to hear about machines that work for years and years. Seems like when it is time to upgrade you should consider a Mac Mini, since you only use external display.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 30, 2021, 07:32:16 AM
Nowadays all MacBooks have solid state hard drives. I opted for a 512 GB drive, although much larger drives are available. I would never go back to a mechanical hard drive in a laptop - the speed advantage of the SSD is too valuable to me.

I've got 12 TB of external hard drive storage on my desktop computer which contains all of my media files, and 2 TB of cloud storage available to all of the computers. The MacBook is for on-the-go creative work and the relatively small SSD is more than enough for me.

The main selling points of the new laptop are processor speed, high resolution display (3024x1964) and battery life (more than 12 hours, depending on what you are doing). The processor has 8 'performance' cores and 2 'efficiency' core which facilitate the extended battery life.

I like to hear about machines that work for years and years. Seems like when it is time to upgrade you should consider a Mac Mini, since you only use external display.

I'll definitely consider the newer MacBooks once this one burns up (which I hope is a very long-time down the road from now). I hope you enjoy your new laptop!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 30, 2021, 09:37:28 AM
I'll definitely consider the newer MacBooks once this one burns up (which I hope is a very long-time down the road from now). I hope you enjoy your new laptop!
I'm more concerned about updates....security...safety.  The older they get, the harder it is to get updates and more likely to get hacked.

You appear to have so much money to spend on music, why not update your computer?  :)  Better resolution too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Nassau Coliseum, 25 May 88
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Is that an after market hard drive you've got in there? I'd love to upgrade the size of my 2012 MacBook Pro's hard drive.

Karl Henning

Landed yesterday. Didn't even know I wanted it, until I chanced upon it at Amazon.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

No sign of the BIS package yet. RvB responded they wait for 6 weeks before re-sending anything. He suggested meanwhile  I download the tracks, but didn't specify how. The downloads are in eclassical site, but my BIS registeration doesn't work there. I am getting super-annoyed!! What a massive mistake to order from BIS... I fool thought the CDs would be in my hands in a week!  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Spotted Horses

Many are enamored of vintage audio, particularly LPs. Never could understand that. I'd never willingly return to tracking error, tweaking anti-skate and tracking force, suffering with surface noise, rumble, warped discs, etc.

But when I look at my old photographs, taken with a 35mm SLR and BW film (Tri-X, Plus-X, Panatomic-X) I miss the unique tonal qualities, even if I get much higher resolution and brilliant colors with my digital SLR.

I've decided to try shooting some photos on film again. When I was a teenager, saving my lawn-mowing money, I couldn't afford the camera I really wanted. Well, now I've picked one up on eBay, a Nikon F.

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 15, 2022, 05:59:31 AMBut when I look at my old photographs, taken with a 35mm SLR and BW film (Tri-X, Plus-X, Panatomic-X) I miss the unique tonal qualities, even if I get much higher resolution and brilliant colors with my digital SLR.

Maybe consider trying vintage lenses on modern DSLRs or mirrorless cameras as well.  You can get a blend of analog and digital qualities.  M42/M39 mount lenses range from very cheap to quite expensive for the most sought after models (some Zeiss and Leica, and even some rare Pentax/Takumar).  One loses some aspects of modern optical performance of course, and chromatic aberration typically is much worse, but that is easily fixed, and the lenses generate lovely bokeh and their general rendering suits some subjects better than modern optical designs.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 15, 2022, 05:59:31 AM
Many are enamored of vintage audio, particularly LPs. Never could understand that. I'd never willingly return to tracking error, tweaking anti-skate and tracking force, suffering with surface noise, rumble, warped discs, etc.

But when I look at my old photographs, taken with a 35mm SLR and BW film (Tri-X, Plus-X, Panatomic-X) I miss the unique tonal qualities, even if I get much higher resolution and brilliant colors with my digital SLR.

I've decided to try shooting some photos on film again. When I was a teenager, saving my lawn-mowing money, I couldn't afford the camera I really wanted. Well, now I've picked one up on eBay, a Nikon F.

Very nice  8)

Did you/will you develop and print your own BW film?

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Todd on June 15, 2022, 06:23:34 AM
Maybe consider trying vintage lenses on modern DSLRs or mirrorless cameras as well.  You can get a blend of analog and digital qualities.  M42/M39 mount lenses range from very cheap to quite expensive for the most sought after models (some Zeiss and Leica, and even some rare Pentax/Takumar).  One loses some aspects of modern optical performance of course, and chromatic aberration typically is much worse, but that is easily fixed, and the lenses generate lovely bokeh and their general rendering suits some subjects better than modern optical designs.

That seems potentially interesting, although I have an APS-C digital SLR body, which presumably would not be compatible with vintage 35mm SLR lenses.
Quote from: aligreto on June 15, 2022, 07:18:22 AM
Very nice  8)

Did you/will you develop and print your own BW film?

I did have a darkroom where I processed film and made prints in olden times. But I found that when I scanned my old negatives the pleasant tonal characteristics were there. So I plan to work with scans of the negatives. I haven't decided if I'll do the scans myself, or use a processing service that includes a scan as part of the processing.

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 15, 2022, 12:08:22 PM

I did have a darkroom where I processed film and made prints in olden times. But I found that when I scanned my old negatives the pleasant tonal characteristics were there. So I plan to work with scans of the negatives. I haven't decided if I'll do the scans myself, or use a processing service that includes a scan as part of the processing.

Great. I wish you well and renewed enjoyment with the project.
When you get some images do share them in the photography thread https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23022.2260/topicseen.html#top

8)

Todd

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 15, 2022, 12:08:22 PMThat seems potentially interesting, although I have an APS-C digital SLR body, which presumably would not be compatible with vintage 35mm SLR lenses.

If you use Nikon or Pentax then old bayonet lenses manufactured back to the early- to mid-70s should all work.  If you use Canon or Sony, an adapter should be available for bayonet lenses.  For M42 screw mounts lenses, you should be able to pick up an adapter for next to nothing.  I picked mine up for $15.  Functionality is more limited, but that is to be expected.  You may be limited to either stop down aperture priority and manual exposure only, which should not be an issue for a manual focus lens. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Carlo Gesualdo

Okay Since it's gonna be my birthday in fews hours already in Australia my buddy there told me Happy Birthday, aussie are the best folks, the sweetest species ever cool down to earth yet smarter than one think, there mystake because the one I now are smart, yep.

Than Beleived it are not I have fan of band in europa all across and in Japan, South America, Deprofundis know the coolest folks on the planet trust me,  tomorrow I having a small venue for birthday see 4 whit e  max perhaps special guess.

I am so expecting tomorrow at my birthday awakening a CD according to stats of Gesualdo BBC Singer Bo Holten, I only know BoHolten thee director of Musica Ficta for a very decent Ockeghem rendition of a master work missa prolationum, If memory correct.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter