Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Keith Jarrett - Spirits. I got this double CD used for ~9 euros delivered.  :)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Omicron9

Quote from: 71 dB on September 28, 2018, 01:46:00 AM
Keith Jarrett - Spirits. I got this double CD used for ~9 euros delivered.  :)

I've always like that record.  It seems somewhat obscure compared to his other works, but a very nice set.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

71 dB

I don't buy many DVDs these days, but:

[asin]B0001K2KBQ[/asin]
Includes Oscar winning short The Music Box.   0:)

vandermolen

Quote from: 71 dB on November 05, 2018, 03:56:29 AM
I don't buy many DVDs these days, but:

[asin]B0001K2KBQ[/asin]
Includes Oscar winning short The Music Box.   0:)
I'm interested in the new movie about them.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Modern jazz.
Impressed by this on the radio:
It comes into the category of music which my wife finds enjoyable as well.
[asin]B07BYWVLZH[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: vandermolen on November 05, 2018, 04:10:56 AM
I'm interested in the new movie about them.

Same here. Stunning casting, especially John C. Reilly is perfect Oliver! I saw the trailer a week or so ago and been into them since. I have six 20th Century Fox movies from the 40's on Blu-ray, but they are not the best, althou I must say "The Big Noise" is quite funny and good imo.

71 dB

Tangerine Dream - Sessions II
Tangerine Dream - Sessions III
Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer 2014

George

Found a copy of this limited edition set on amazon today for a good price.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

steve ridgway

Quote from: 71 dB on November 21, 2018, 03:12:13 PM
Tangerine Dream - Sessions II
Tangerine Dream - Sessions III
Tangerine Dream - Sorcerer 2014

I'd be interested to hear what you think of these. My serious TD collection really ends with Poland in 1984 but I enjoy the reworked older material on Green Desert, Tangents, Book of Dreams, Ultima Thule aka Electronic Magic and Edgar's Aqua with beats 8).

71 dB

Quote from: 2dogs on November 22, 2018, 09:04:21 PM
I'd be interested to hear what you think of these. My serious TD collection really ends with Poland in 1984 but I enjoy the reworked older material on Green Desert, Tangents, Book of Dreams, Ultima Thule aka Electronic Magic and Edgar's Aqua with beats 8).

Poland? That's not much.  ;D

The 90's was perhaps TD's weakest, but 2005 onwards (Jeanne D'Arc) a lot of great stuff! This new stuff without E.F. has been pretty solid too, but I'll get back after I get these and hear them.

steve ridgway

Following aligreto's recommendation I bought just the MP3 download of the Beatles It's All Too Much from the Yellow Submarine album 8).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0

aligreto

Quote from: 2dogs on January 05, 2019, 06:18:26 AM
Following aligreto's recommendation I bought just the MP3 download of the Beatles It's All Too Much from the Yellow Submarine album 8).

Hopefully enjoyment of that will prompt you to buy more in the future if you do not have a Beatles collection already.

vandermolen

Quote from: 2dogs on January 05, 2019, 06:18:26 AM

I attended the premiere in London. Ringo refused to sign an autograph - never forgave him.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on January 05, 2019, 07:52:22 AM
I attended the premiere in London. Ringo refused to sign an autograph - never forgave him.

Quite right too!

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 05, 2019, 07:52:22 AM
He was right too, Jeffrey was faking interest.  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

NikF

Amazon purchases this evening -

The three volumes in this series

[asin]B005DMHHHY[/asin]

This pair of boots

A few of these (my favourite t-shirts for training on the trapeze) one each in red, green, grey, and white.

And a tin of

[asin]B00PO9H528[/asin]

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Pohjolas Daughter

I also purchased a few non-classical LPs (used and looked to be in good condition) on Saturday:

The Pretenders - "Pretenders"; Don Henley (think The Eagles) - 'Building the Perfect Beast"; Los Lobos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Lobos - "How Will the Wolf Survive"' Elton John (don't need to say anything here!) - "Tumbleweed Connection"..and that's it!

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mr. Minnow

Current 93 - The Light is Leaving Us All

Nurse With Wound - The Surveillance Lounge

71 dB

This guy, Ray Harmony, is amazing! I have been watching his "Music Hack" videos on Youtube and this guy knows how to teach music theory! I have always struggled with music theory without knowing why exactly, but recently I have made a breakthrough after realizing what I did wrong. Music is about context! Notes are not absolute objects to listeners even if they have absolute tunings. They are physically (certain frequencies etc.) objective and they are treated like fixed objects in music writing (notes have their fixed places), but to listeners they aren't objective! Note C is "something higher" if preceded by note A and "something lower" if preceded by note D. It's the root note in C major, but chromatic in D Lydian mode. Everything is relative to the context. After I realized this, music theory became 100 times easier. Teaching music theory without emphasizing this is in my opinion criminal! So, that was my mistake, a math head as I am. In math numbers have fixed values. Doesn't matter what equation you have, number 2 is 2 and that's it. There is no context. Now that I know how to add this "context layer" in music theory, it becomes more math-like to me and the easier stuff become even trivial. Chord progressions were a mystery for me, but finally I understand what they do: Create the context.

[asin]1988410002[/asin]

Also, despite of reports of bad picture quality (lack of restoration) I ordered this:

[asin]B07JG786KX [/asin]

Laurel & Hardy Blu-ray collection