Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

The kindle edition of A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is currently on sale for $1.99 at Amazon.com. This is the second novel by the author of the Kite Runner. At that price I decided to give it a try. Interest is enhanced by the idea that it depicts the history of Afghanistan over the last several decades.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159448385X?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=MTAFMQXVXK8V2GAJPPEB

vandermolen

Arrived today by Onuka a Ukrainian electro-folk band:
I really enjoyed their interval performance during Eurovision 2017 (don't laugh - my daughter was working in Kyiv at the time and was watching it on a big screen, hence my interest - honestly  ::))

They play with the Naoni Orchestra who use traditional Ukrainian folk instruments. A number of their performances are on You Tube.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2019, 07:03:38 AM
Arrived today by Onuka a Ukrainian electro-folk band:
I really enjoyed their interval performance during Eurovision 2017 (don't laugh - my daughter was working in Kyiv at the time and was watching it on a big screen, hence my interest - honestly  ::))

They play with the Naoni Orchestra who use traditional Ukrainian folk instruments. A number of their performances are on You Tube.

I just checked out a couple of their videos...quite nice!  I like how the granddaughter is trying to help shine the spotlight on traditional Ukrainian folk instruments and they're incorporating them in clever ways.  Wonder what the instrument is that reminds me of a hammered dulcimer?  In this video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHZw9FDcOGc

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mirror Image

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2019, 01:20:30 AM
Jeesus! That's shit load of money.  ???

Mine was $154 (incl. shipping). Not bad really. This is my favorite period of Tangerine Dream, so it was a purchase I couldn't resist even after owning them all in the 'Definitive Edition' remasters. When Steven Wilson is involved, especially remixing albums, I tend to pay close attention. :)

George

At $1,200, this Denon DCD-1600NE is by far the most expensive disc player I ever bought. It plays SACD and CD, is built like a tank and sounds great!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Mirror Image

Quote from: George on May 15, 2019, 04:30:41 PM

At $1,200, this Denon DCD-1600NE is by far the most expensive disc player I ever bought. It plays SACD and CD, is built like a tank and sounds great!

Nice! Denon makes GREAT CD players. I believe my dad owns one and he loves it (or to the best of my recollection he said he did).

George

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2019, 05:40:59 PM
Nice! Denon makes GREAT CD players. I believe my dad owns one and he loves it (or to the best of my recollection he said he did).

That's good to know!

JBS

While visiting the Clara Barton Missing Soldier's Office, I bought the CD described in this article (which also gives a little history of the MSO).
https://dcist.com/story/15/04/17/clara-barton-sessions/

This is the CD on Bandcamp. At least some of it is available on Youtube.
https://jonnygrave.bandcamp.com/album/the-clara-barton-sessions

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

Quote from: George on May 15, 2019, 04:30:41 PM

Good for you. Denon would be well regarded on this side of the world. I hope that you derive endless pleasure from it.

George

Quote from: aligreto on May 17, 2019, 11:48:20 PM
Good for you. Denon would be well regarded on this side of the world. I hope that you derive endless pleasure from it.

Thanks very much!

It was a long journey to replace my Yamaha CD-S300, over a year long search, much to the dismay of my girlfriend. Twice I tried a Marantz SA8005 (both defective), once a Cambridge Audio Azur 851C (sound was too clinical for me), 4 times with the Yamaha CD-S700 (all were defective) and a previous try with the above Denon, but at that time did not give it enough time to burn in.

I have a week left to decide if I am keeping it or not, but as long as it keeps going as its been, it's staying. Sadly, I'll need to get rid of the original box, though, as I have no space to store it.

aligreto

Quote from: George on May 18, 2019, 05:42:57 AM
Thanks very much!

It was a long journey to replace my Yamaha CD-S300, over a year long search, much to the dismay of my girlfriend. Twice I tried a Marantz SA8005 (both defective), once a Cambridge Audio Azur 851C (sound was too clinical for me), 4 times with the Yamaha CD-S700 (all were defective) and a previous try with the above Denon, but at that time did not give it enough time to burn in.

I have a week left to decide if I am keeping it or not, but as long as it keeps going as its been, it's staying. Sadly, I'll need to get rid of the original box, though, as I have no space to store it.

You are wise to take your time over such a purchase. It will be with you for quite some time hopefully so take the time to get it right for you. Be happy with your primary source of sound presentation.

George

Quote from: aligreto on May 18, 2019, 05:54:14 AM
You are wise to take your time over such a purchase. It will be with you for quite some time hopefully so take the time to get it right for you. Be happy with your primary source of sound presentation.

Thanks again. I don't stream or do vinyl. So I am CD/SACD only. This player fit me almost perfectly. I only wish it converted HDCD.

aligreto

Quote from: George on May 18, 2019, 06:13:12 AM
Thanks again. I don't stream or do vinyl. So I am CD/SACD only. This player fit me almost perfectly. I only wish it converted HDCD.

There is enough there to keep you going for a while I think  ;)

George

Quote from: aligreto on May 18, 2019, 06:45:47 AM
There is enough there to keep you going for a while I think  ;)

Absolutely. CD and SACD production has slowed down just in time for me to start saving for retirement.  8)

aligreto

Quote from: George on May 18, 2019, 07:31:06 AM
Absolutely. CD and SACD production has slowed down just in time for me to start saving for retirement.  8)

Savour those sounds when you eventually get to retirement  8)

George

Quote from: aligreto on May 18, 2019, 07:39:45 AM
Savour those sounds when you eventually get to retirement  8)

Yeah, can't wait!  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2019, 01:20:30 AM
Jeesus! That's shit load of money.  ???

I'm sorry, but I thought about this particular response and I have to say, it's wholly negative and not warranted. Have you ever considered saying "Hey, that looks like a great set. I hope you enjoy it."? That would have been a kinder thing to say, then tell me how much money I've spent (which you didn't know but only assumed). Another thing, you know I apologized to you after telling you to get on with your life and you shouldn't dwell on things have already happened and admitted the advice I gave wasn't really taking in your whole situation after losing your mother, so, with that apology in mind, I expect the same kind of respect and courtesy given to me. If you can't do that, then I'm officially done with you.

Introverted

Recent buys:

[asin]B07H657XG2[/asin]

[asin]B07FHR6MZM[/asin]

[asin]B00004WSZE[/asin]

[asin]B00T5MUTDW[/asin]

[asin]B07N3S5PML[/asin]