Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: aligreto on February 07, 2020, 07:38:44 AM
I look forward to reading your thoughts on these. I am not a huge fan but I did have more than a passing interest in his earlier work.

Sure thing. I have read very good things about them so I am excited to check them out. They are due to arrive today.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

aligreto

Quote from: George on February 07, 2020, 08:05:58 AM
Sure thing. I have read very good things about them so I am excited to check them out. They are due to arrive today.

I hope that you really enjoy them my friend.  8)

George

steve ridgway

MP3s of Nico's last two studio albums from the 1980s, Drama Of Exile and Camera Obscura.

71 dB

Mike and the Mechanics

[asin]B0000261N6[/asin]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Carlo Gesualdo

Monotheist album of Celtic Frost 2007, it''s fuckin good, killer release by Swiss legends

:P

Mirror Image

A recent graphic novel haul:

Top row: Absolute Kingdom Come, Absolute The New Frontier
Bottom row: Hellblazer by Garth Ennis: Omnibus, Absolute Preacher, Vol. 3

For those that don't know, the DC Absolute Editions are jumbo-sized hardback graphic novels that have their own slipcases. I'm a huge fan of DC Comics, but, in particular, one-off series, which is what most of these Absolute Editions are, but only issued in a special, eye-catching edition.

Mirror Image

Just bought:

I already owned all of Holdsworth's studio albums, but his first one, Velvet Darkness. My understanding is Holdsworth didn't like this album (and with good reason as the entire album is comprised of out-takes that were not authorized by him to be released). Despite his disliking of the album, I'd say it's still a good album and allows us to hear his development from this particular point in his career.

Daverz

Duke Ellington, The Columbia Years (1927-1962)

A 3 CD set with a very nice booklet.  My copy of CD 2 seems to have bit rotted.  Downloading just the 10 bad tracks as FLAC would cost at least $15 at Qobuz, but Supraphonline has the whole set for under $10 (199 Kř):

https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/182149-the-duke-the-columbia-years-1927-1962/flac

George

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Daverz on July 28, 2020, 05:25:45 PM
Duke Ellington, The Columbia Years (1927-1962)

A 3 CD set with a very nice booklet.  My copy of CD 2 seems to have bit rotted.  Downloading just the 10 bad tracks as FLAC would cost at least $15 at Qobuz, but Supraphonline has the whole set for under $10 (199 Kř):

https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/182149-the-duke-the-columbia-years-1927-1962/flac
Wow!  Supraphon has really expanded it's musical categories/artists that they are now distributing...as far as I can tell anyway.  Haven't visited their website for a while now.  Enjoy!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

[asin]B0058N2T3K[/asin]
Nightmare On Elm Street 1-7 [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]

[asin]B08CM1XWWJ[/asin]
Katy Perry - Smile (Deluxe) - preorder, released August 28.

Pohjolas Daughter

Did a bit of digging through some bins at local record shop over the weekend and found these and in great shape!

I used to own the first gh album (along with Hotel California) and missed playing it!  Am on the lookout for a good copy of HC.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 17, 2020, 02:19:03 AM
I used to own the first gh album (along with Hotel California) and missed playing it!  Am on the lookout for a good copy of HC.

PD

If you ever see the gold DCC CD for HC for a price you can afford, I highly suggest picking it up.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 17, 2020, 06:43:11 AM
If you ever see the gold DCC CD for HC for a price you can afford, I highly suggest picking it up.
George,

Have you been able to do a comparison with the regular release of that CD?  If so, that much of a difference?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 17, 2020, 09:53:45 AM
George,

Have you been able to do a comparison with the regular release of that CD?  If so, that much of a difference?

PD

Huge difference. The gold is has a thick, lush, analogy sound missing on an CD mastering. Really nice bass.   

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: George on August 17, 2020, 10:40:55 AM
Huge difference. The gold is has a thick, lush, analogy sound missing on an CD mastering. Really nice bass.
Nice!  Do you still play LPs?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

George

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 17, 2020, 12:28:12 PM
Nice!  Do you still play LPs?

PD

I never did. Went straight from cassettes to CDs.  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

We all have our own musical journeys, that's for sure!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

71 dB

Parasite (Joon-Ho Bong, 2019) Blu-ray. Nordic release. 9,95 € + shipping.