Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: MN Dave on March 24, 2008, 06:50:43 AM
Sweet!

It's bloody confusing buying stuff by him ;D Hard to put faith into every publisher to include the right stuff in their "almost complete" collections... I picked these on the basis that they are apparently using a more up to date edition of the works than many other books, so I guess that made it simple to choose these volumes. I was almost tempted by the following one, though. 1000 page hardbacks look great on bookshelves :P

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MN Dave

Quote from: Lethe on March 24, 2008, 07:14:56 AM
It's bloody confusing buying stuff by him ;D Hard to put faith into every publisher to include the right stuff in their "almost complete" collections... I picked these on the basis that they are apparently using a more up to date edition of the works than many other books, so I guess that made it simple to choose these volumes. I was almost tempted by the following one, though. 1000 page hardbacks look great on bookshelves :P

Yeah. There are many ways to purchase Lovecraft. I have the Dell trades currently. If you like Lovecraft, Thomas Ligotti may also be to your liking.

Lethevich

Quote from: MN Dave on March 24, 2008, 07:18:49 AM
Yeah. There are many ways to purchase Lovecraft. I have the Dell trades currently. If you like Lovecraft, Thomas Ligotti may also be to your liking.

Danke :) I decided to get into him because he was apparently inspired by Lord Dunsany's style, which I like a lot.

MN Dave

Quote from: Lethe on March 24, 2008, 08:01:44 AM
Danke :) I decided to get into him because he was apparently inspired by Lord Dunsany's style, which I like a lot.

Hm. Maybe you should have started with one book. ;)

Lethevich

Quote from: MN Dave on March 24, 2008, 08:03:47 AM
Hm. Maybe you should have started with one book. ;)

All or nothing! DEATH OR GLORY!!!

MN Dave

Brian

Two DVDs:

Awakenings - Robert DeNiro (not playing a gangster) and Robin Williams (not playing a lunatic) star in the only movie I've seen in five or six years that has really made me cry  :'( ;D
My Favorite Year - Peter O'Toole is a drunk actor trying to make a comeback in this sousedrousing comedy

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on March 24, 2008, 08:33:49 AM
Okay, but I hope you like purple.

Who is the Conan artist in your avatar Dave?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on March 24, 2008, 09:03:14 AM
John Buscema, I think.

Thanks.  He never did capture him like Barry Smith, but still a very good comic book artist.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Quote from: Bogey on March 24, 2008, 10:09:46 AM
Thanks.  He never did capture him like Barry Smith, but still a very good comic book artist.

I think Buscema's my favorite.

rockerreds

Janet (Jackson)-The Velvet Rope
Bob Marley and the Wailers-Confrontation (Barry Diament mastering)
Very Best of The Beach Boys:Sounds of Summer

George

Quote from: rockerreds on March 24, 2008, 02:57:48 PM
Janet (Jackson)-The Velvet Rope
Bob Marley and the Wailers-Confrontation (Barry Diament mastering)
Very Best of The Beach Boys:Sounds of Summer

Diament does nice work! Heard his mastering of For Those about to Rock?

rockerreds

Quote from: George on March 24, 2008, 03:03:45 PM
Diament does nice work! Heard his mastering of For Those about to Rock?
No.

Lethevich

The Lovecrafts arrived. Very annoying - the last two volumes have normal laminated paperback covers, but the first has a non laminated almost paper-thin one. Unexpected given the publisher and how recent it is - this cover will get damaged in no time :-\ :'(

They weren't mentioned as I ordered them just after my original post, but these have arrived on the same day:

Kullervo

Quote from: Lethe on March 27, 2008, 09:54:24 AM
The Lovecrafts arrived. Very annoying - the last two volumes have normal laminated paperback covers, but the first has a non laminated almost paper-thin one. Unexpected given the publisher and how recent it is - this cover will get damaged in no time :-\ :'(

They weren't mentioned as I ordered them just after my original post, but these have arrived on the same day:

Good for you! I have returned recently to Shakespeare as well. That complete set looks nice. I have Viking's "Portable Shakespeare" which I bought thinking it was complete, only to find that only 7 plays are complete, with "bleeding chunks" from other plays  ;D. There is a nice old leatherbound edition in the local used bookstore calling my name (I have a thing for crusty old books :D).

MN Dave

Quote from: Lethe on March 27, 2008, 09:54:24 AM
The Lovecrafts arrived. Very annoying - the last two volumes have normal laminated paperback covers, but the first has a non laminated almost paper-thin one.

Sorry about the book.

Maybe you can get it bound in rat-hide. ;)

Lethevich

Quote from: Corey on March 27, 2008, 10:18:34 AM
Good for you! I have returned recently to Shakespeare as well. That complete set looks nice. I have Viking's "Portable Shakespeare" which I bought thinking it was complete, only to find that only 7 plays are complete, with "bleeding chunks" from other plays  ;D. There is a nice old leatherbound edition in the local used bookstore calling my name (I have a thing for crusty old books :D).

:) The RSC book seems very good - each page has appendices at the bottom briefly translating odd phrases, etc. They are less in depth than in the glossary book, but that would be obvious to anybody, hehe :) From the reviews I've read it seems that the cheaper alternatives don't have any notes, and some are printed too small (even the huge RSC book has small text on bible-thin paper). Plus the RSC comes with additional details, synopsises, etc. Overall it seems a very good buy.

The companion is large (A4), full of all sorts of miscellaneous and fun images and photographs - from a quick flick through it seems very moreish.

Quote from: MN Dave on March 27, 2008, 10:32:21 AM
Sorry about the book.

Maybe you can get it bound in rat-hide. ;)

I have my pen knife ready!

George

The Doors
S/T
DCC Gold CD
Mastered by Steve Hoffman

8)