Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on April 21, 2008, 07:21:57 PM
Please review ASAP Karl.

If Karl is Out to Lunch  ;D , you can have my enthusiastic thumbs up. Great music and sound!

karlhenning

George's enthusiasm is entirely well-placed here, Bill.  Unlike the (very fine) anthology I've had (The Essential Eric Dolphy on Prestige), this album is Eric Dolphy compositions and only Eric Dolphy compositions, and it's all exhiliration all the time.  Near the end of "Something Sweet, Something Tender" there is a wonderful unison passage for Dolphy's bass clarinet and Richard Davis on bass, a little like a Messiaen unison passage, only hushed.  And the combination of Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Bobby Hutcherson on vibes, and Dolphy on his sundry woodwinds, is richly colorful.

Edit :: typo of the vibist's name . . . .

toledobass

karlhenning

My typo could have been worse, Allan, I might have slipped and typed Roy Orbison  ;D

karlhenning

After all, it was recorded in Englewood Cliffs, ew Jersey  8)

karlhenning

I could have corrected that, and added the capital 'N' . . . but as it is, it looked so, so, right . . . .

MN Dave

toledobass

Quote from: karlhenning on April 22, 2008, 07:56:44 AM
After all, it was recorded in Englewood Cliffs, ew Jersey  8)

Which exit? ;)

Allan

toledobass

Quote from: karlhenning on April 22, 2008, 07:56:08 AM
My typo could have been worse, Allan, I might have slipped and typed Roy Orbison  ;D

That'd be worth hearing!!!!!

Ooops sorry bout that, I thought you just flat out got his name wrong.  Didn't even occur to me that i and u are next to one another on the keyboard.

Allan

MN Dave

Quote from: toledobass on April 22, 2008, 09:06:03 AM
That'd be worth hearing!!!!!

Ooops sorry bout that, I thought you just flat out got his name wrong.  Didn't even occur to me that i and u are next to one another on the keyboard.

Allan

That is correct, Allsn.

Kullervo

Paperbacks:

Theodore Dreiser - The Financier
Henry James - Washington Square
Samuel Richardson - Pamela
Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (better late than never, right?)
Edith Wharton - The House of Mirth

MN Dave

Quote from: Corey on April 22, 2008, 01:48:58 PM
Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace (better late than never, right?)

Jeez, you're only 21, fer crissakes.

Kullervo

Quote from: MN Dave on April 22, 2008, 01:52:10 PM

Well it's the same thing with all "essentials" of literature, music, films, etc. I feel like I should know it already.  :-\

George

Quote from: MN Dave on April 22, 2008, 01:52:10 PM

Never to young to go to read about war.  ;D

Kullervo

Or maybe it's because I'm always talking to you old fogies. ;D

I really don't know anyone my own age, and the few that I do don't really read good books or have any taste in music, so I have no idea what 21-year olds read or listen to.

George

Quote from: Corey on April 22, 2008, 02:28:01 PM
Or maybe it's because I'm always talking to you old fogies. ;D

You kids with your 8 track tapes and your bell bottom pants - I just can't keep up.

Kullervo

Quote from: George on April 22, 2008, 02:33:12 PM
You kids with your 8 track tapes and your bell bottom pants - I just can't keep up.

And our internets, don't forget the internets. ;D

Today:

Italo Svevo - Zeno's Conscience

Svevo is a name I'd never even read before until a blurb on the cover of my copy of Musil's Man Without Qualities listed him with Proust, Joyce along with Musil as one of the greatest writers of the 20th Century.