Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

I count over 50 in that picture - that's a lot of eggs $:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

George

Jimi Hendrix

Axis Bold as Love

Reprise CD with no RE in Matrix

8)

MN Dave

George

Quote from: MN Brahms on April 26, 2008, 05:53:49 AM
What does that mean?  ???

There have been many masterings of the Jimi Hendrix albums. The Reprise were the very first CD pressings made in the US. After about two years, the company did a silent remaster and changed the matrix number to include RE-1. (The matrix number is the number printed in a circular pattern near the center of the CD, usually you need to flip the CD over to be able to read the numbers.) These silent remasters can only be identified in this way. Unfortunately, the remastering removes some of the music (not to mention some of the "life" of performance) along with the Noise Reduction. Reprise, like EMI and many other labels, perhaps just thought that they were doing the customer a favor by removing the hiss, but we know today that you can't remove the hiss without removing some of the music.

Since the original Reprise discs were only out for a few years, they are pretty rare. They used the master tape to master it apparently. The newest EH mastering (the one in stores) is the same source, but suffers from that loud compression we have discussed before. 

MN Dave

Quote from: George on April 26, 2008, 06:02:15 AM
There have been many masterings of the Jimi Hendrix albums. The Reprise were the very first CD pressings made in the US. After about two years, the company did a silent remaster and changed the matrix number to include RE-1. (The matrix number is the number printed in a circular pattern near the center of the CD, usually you need to flip the CD over to be able to read the numbers.) These silent remasters can only be identified in this way. Unfortunately, the remastering removes some of the music (not to mention some of the "life" of performance) along with the Noise Reduction. Reprise, like EMI and many other labels, perhaps just thought that they were doing the customer a favor by removing the hiss, but we know today that you can't remove the hiss without removing some of the music.

Since the original Reprise discs were only out for a few years, they are pretty rare. They used the master tape to master it apparently. The newest EH mastering (the one in stores) is the same source, but suffers from that loud compression we have discussed before. 

You have become quite the audiophile.

As for me, I know it's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it.  0:)  >:D  8)

Have you heard the Replacements remasters from Rhino yet? They just came out Tuesday.

George

Quote from: MN Brahms on April 26, 2008, 06:10:41 AM
You have become quite the audiophile.

Yup.  8) There are those who take things even further, preffering only Japanese first pressings (these go for $80-150.) These guys scare me.

As for me, I know it's only rock 'n' roll, but I like it.  0:)  >:D  8)

More power to ya!  :)

Have you heard the Replacements remasters from Rhino yet? They just came out Tuesday.

I haven't. In fact, I can not think of one remaster than I enjoy more than the original CD. They say the Billy Joel and Dylan remasters are better than the original pressings, but I have yet to compare them. Almost every Rock CD I have heard from the last 10 years is just too loud on my home system. Luckily, I can still enjoy many of them on my walkman, though. My home system is just too revealing. I used to only listen to classical at home, so I didn't have this issue, but now I enjoy some Rock at times when at home and have reevaluated a lot of my old CDs. It was a pain at first, but the early pressings/DCC CDs sound so warm, to me it's worth every penny.   

71 dB

I have this rave classic from 1992 on vinyl but I had to order the CD too.

Isotonik - Different Strokes - £4.54 delivered (Amazon.co.uk Marketplace)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

toledobass

That looks like pacman on xtc.

Allan

71 dB

Quote from: toledobass on April 26, 2008, 05:59:24 PM
That looks like pacman on xtc.

Allan

It's a happy orange. The music makes me feel just as happy. Great stuff!  0:)

Bogey

Somebody dumped these at the used store and thought I would give them a home....boom:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Hector

Not quite today but I heard one of his most famous songs, so I'm told, 'Les Corons,' and just had to have it.

That is Pierre Bachelet, 'The Best of...'

I quite like some of the other tracks but remain allergic, like most of the Planet outside France, to the more 'poppy' songs.

My French friends tell me that he was famous and died in 2005. The CD was issued in 2006 with no information other than the song-titles whatsoever. Clearly his fame negated the need for any information. :(

71 dB

Lowgold - Promise Lands - £7.67 delivered

Harry

:-[ ;D

Heather Harrison

Those Cannonball Adderley albums look good; that was a lucky find.

I buy all sorts of stuff I don't need.  Last weekend, I bought three old telephones - a Stromberg Carlson 1248 magneto desk set from the 1940's (magneto and ringer are missing), a North Electric desk set from the 1940's, and a pink Western Electric Princess phone from 1962.  They all work.  I had to rewire the Stromberg Carlson, but thanks to a wiring diagram I found on the web it wasn't difficult.  This brings the total of telephones hooked up and working in my apartment to 34.  They are everywhere!

Perhaps the most interesting thing I have bought recently was a bound volume containing every issue of Harper's Weekly from 1888.  This was a very influential weekly newspaper consisting of news, short stories, poetry, serialized novels, and some of the best engravings I have ever seen.

Also, my latest group of chemical elements is on the way:  titanium, manganese, nickel, ruthenium, and antimony.

Heather

toledobass

Nice job....now go put it on and be prepared for some of the most beautiful ballad playing ever when Angel Eyes comes on.

Allan

MN Dave

Quote from: toledobass on May 05, 2008, 07:50:28 PM
Nice job....now go put it on and be prepared for some of the most beautiful ballad playing ever when Angel Eyes comes on.

Allan

Yes, sir! Will do. ;D

MN Dave

Some loud rock etc.

Witchcraft - THE ALCHEMIST
Electric Wizard - WITCHCULT TODAY
Turbonegro - RETOX
Music from the motion picture 21
Aerosmith - GET YOUR WINGS
Spiritual Beggers - s/t

MN Dave

Immortal Poems of the English Language - An Anthology Edited by Oscar Williams