Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: AndyD. on May 10, 2008, 02:48:46 PM

That Hitchcock has my eye, for sure!

I snagged it for $109. Via my stimulus payment.  8)

George

Quote from: Corey on May 10, 2008, 02:43:17 PM
Yes.

I almost got the other Hitchcock box, but I decided to wait.

Bogey

Quote from: George on May 10, 2008, 03:15:50 PM
I almost got the other Hitchcock box, but I decided to wait.

Gold on many levels buddy.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on May 10, 2008, 03:34:41 PM
Gold on many levels buddy.

8)

I also had the four "big" Rolling Stones albums in hand as well: Beggars, Sticky, Exile and Let it Bleed. Put them back because I realized it was compulsive buying, instead of an informed purchase. I realized today that I have a tendency to unconsciously need all the albums from any given band, regardless if it is an album I really want based on listening samples, etc. Scary actually. At one point I had 10 CDs in hand. I bought one, on sale for $6.99.

The Doors DCC gold discs were bought earlier in the week.

MN Dave

Today, I saw a t-shirt which read: "Who the f*ck is Mick Jagger?"

Heather Harrison

Orchestral ragtime music:

Paragon Ragtime Orchestra:  "That Demon Rag", "Knockout Drops", "Black Manhattan".  Jody dall'Armi & Paragon Ragtime Orchestra:  "On the Level You're a Little Devil".

These are CDs of popular music from the United States from roughly the late 1890's to early 1920's.  I have many original records of that time; the music is a lot of fun, but the recording quality is dreadful.  These CDs are modern performances in good digital sound, and judging from comparisons with records of the time, the performances are very authentic.  Good sound quality brings a lot of life to this music.  The performances are as good as anything I have heard from the old records, and the pieces they have chosen to record are mostly fun, uptempo numbers.  The first three are mostly instrumentals, and the fourth features vocals in the quasi-operatic style that was popular back then.  I could easily recommend any one of these to someone who is curious about the largely forgotten pop music of that time.

And I went to an antique store and came home with two more telephones.

These wooden wall phones date from the time of the ragtime music on the CDs I mentioned above.  The fancier one is a Kellogg, and the plainer one is a Cracraft-Leich.  Both probably date from the late 1900's to early 1910's.  The wood is in great shape, and I rewired them to work with modern phone lines.  Both work well.  The Kellogg had a transmitter upgrade at some point and, as a result, it works a bit better.  It is amazing that these things still work after such a long time.

Heather

Bogey

Quote from: Heather Harrison on May 10, 2008, 05:15:15 PM

Heather,
Is that cobalt bottle to the right of the phone an old poison bottle?  My dad collects them and it looks like it may be one.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Heather Harrison

It's a bromo-seltzer bottle.  I've had it for a long time.  I don't have any old bottles that I know for certain are poison bottles, but I have a large galvanized can that used to contain sodium cyanide; I use it as a garbage can.

Heather

MN Dave

Light beer with salt and lime. Genius.  8)

Bogey

Quote from: Heather Harrison on May 11, 2008, 06:33:29 AM
It's a bromo-seltzer bottle.  I've had it for a long time.  I don't have any old bottles that I know for certain are poison bottles, but I have a large galvanized can that used to contain sodium cyanide; I use it as a garbage can.

Heather

The old poison bottles usually had a relief to them so that when a person was getting a bottle out of the cabinet at night they could tell by touch not to take it.  Here is an example:

Some even came shaped like coffins:

Some go for hundreds, while others can be had for 30 or so.

Kullervo

A plastic replica of milk splashing into a glass! Nice!  8)

BorisG

Quote from: Corey on May 12, 2008, 10:19:25 AM
A plastic replica of milk splashing into a glass! Nice!  8)

Thank you. Then you will enjoy this.

Jupiter

Kullervo

Quote from: BorisG on May 12, 2008, 10:34:09 AM
Thank you. Then you will enjoy this.

Much better than what you had here before. :D I wonder when it became the fashion for every housewife to have a plastic Belshazzar's Feast on their dining room table. ;D

Haffner

Quote from: Corey on May 12, 2008, 04:07:54 PM
Much better than what you had here before. :D I wonder when it became the fashion for every housewife to have a plastic Belshazzar's Feast on their dining room table. ;D

You mean it isn't??? ???

Heather Harrison

Vince Giordano's Nighthawks - The Goldkette Project.  If you like 1920's big band music but don't like the poor sound quality of old recordings, you might want to check this out.  This is a CD of authentic performances of music that was originally performed by Jean Goldkette's band - one of the best of the late 1920's.  The band knows this music well, and they bring a lot of life to the music.  Although I love the old recordings, it is nice to hear this sort of music in good modern sound.

Heather