Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Amazon.co.uk Marketplace:

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra - £3.78 delivered (used)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Kullervo

Quote from: 71 dB on May 14, 2008, 06:07:42 AM
Amazon.co.uk Marketplace:

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra - £3.78 delivered (used)

Their best album I think.

Lethevich

French Cathedrals (Martin Hurlimann & Jean Bony). As is usual with buying old second hand non-fiction books, I am not even sure that the content will be as advertised, let alone have a cover scan to post. But it's a lot cheaper than the others I've seen (this was £15, I've seen them up to £80), and if it's the 650 page one, it should be a nice weighty tome.

Dark Tribe - Jeraspunta - Die Rückkehr der Tollwütigen Bestie

To replace my crappy Pacifica:

Vintage AV1
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

71 dB

Quote from: Corey on May 14, 2008, 06:38:15 AM
Their best album I think.

Actually I don't expect it to be the best. To me Force Majeure, Logos, Tangram, Ricochet and Underwater Sunlight have been the best so far...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

rockerreds

Warren Zevon-The Envoy(2007 remaster with bonus tracks)
The Zombies-Odessey & Oracle(Big Beat 30th Anniversary Edition)
The Replacements-Let It Be(2008 remaster with bonus tracks)
Wonderfalls(DVD)
Lucinda Williams-Car Wheels On A Gravel Road

MN Dave

Quote from: rockerreds on May 14, 2008, 09:17:16 AM
The Zombies-Odessey & Oracle(Big Beat 30th Anniversary Edition)
The Replacements-Let It Be(2008 remaster with bonus tracks)

Classics!

Bogey

The interest here of friends in Chicago (or in the above case Chicago Transit Authority) has rekindled my interest in this band that I enjoyed in my youth.  I remember the first time I saw them was on a Charlie Rich(?) TV Special back in the mid-70's.  I recall turning to my dad and asking, "Rock bands can have horns in them?"  Obviously I had heard rock songs with horns, but to see it for the first time really blew me away.  I had a smattering of their work on vinyl (Greatest Hits and a couple others if I recall correctly), but never pursued them heavily and let radio take care of my fix for them.  Now I plan to purchase their albums chronologically.  That is, up to a point of which has not been determined yet.  Should be a fun ride.

Also, grabbed this from the bargain rack, which contains some excellent color photos for scale model references:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Did you get an unremastered copy of that Chicago, Bill?

Bogey

Quote from: George on May 16, 2008, 04:01:10 PM
Did you get an unremastered copy of that Chicago, Bill?

No.  I went for the Rhino and was suprisingly pleased with the results.  The clarity of the vocals is excellent, the brass is very crisp and up front, and it is not too overly loud....maybe a bit heavy on the bass, but not bad....drums a bit muffled, but not the cymbals.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on May 16, 2008, 04:07:54 PM
No.  I went for the Rhino and was suprisingly pleased with the results.  The clarity of the vocals is excellent, the brass is very crisp and up front, and it is not too overly loud....maybe a bit heavy on the bass, but not bad.

Glad to hear it.  :)

George

Quote from: Bogey on May 16, 2008, 04:07:54 PM
No.  I went for the Rhino and was suprisingly pleased with the results.  The clarity of the vocals is excellent, the brass is very crisp and up front, and it is not too overly loud....maybe a bit heavy on the bass, but not bad....drums a bit muffled, but not the cymbals.

I read that they were overly bright and loud, but I am beginning to see that this effect has a great deal to do with the system you are listening on.

I also found out awhile back that I have the curse/blessing of owning a system that is "revealing," meaning it shows most CDs strengths and flaws, very little is hidden. 

Solitary Wanderer

Received this Frank Sinatra boxset this week. Its long OOP but I finally managed to source a still sealed MINT copy.

Its a 12 cd set of the complete recordings from the Columbia Years.

This set is commonly reffered to as 'The Blue Box'.

The packaging and presentation is nothing short of sensational. Beautiful wooden box, original album cover art for the cds and a handsome, stunningly put-together book.

I have now completed my Sinatra boxsets. 0:)

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

George

What I want to know now is what song do you have in the most incarnations by Sinatra and how many?

We could have a contest to see who can guess correctly.  :)

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: George on May 16, 2008, 04:54:22 PM
What I want to know now is what song do you have in the most incarnations by Sinatra and how many?

We could have a contest to see who can guess correctly.  :)

If you talk about commercial record studio recordings, without regard for alternate takes, I believe it is a tie between "Night And Day" and "The Song Is You," with five versions each:

"Night And Day" — Bluebird (1942), Columbia (1947), Capitol (1956), Reprise (1961 & 1977).

"The Song Is You" — Bluebird (1942), Columbia (1946 & 1947), Capitol (1958), Reprise (1979).

There are many additional renditions of both songs, from radio, TV, films, and concerts, which have had official release. ("The Song Is You" also had a 1946 V-Disc version, but that was from a radio dress rehearsal.)

If you include a special V-Disc recording session, the following also has five record studio versions:

"Nancy (With The Laughing Face)" — V-Disc (1944), Columbia (1944 & 1945), Reprise (1963 & 1977).

Contenders for runner-up, with four studio versions each, include "All Of Me," "All Or Nothing At All," "Everything Happens To Me," and "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas."

:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

George

Thanks. I would have lost the contest, as I would have guessed 7 versions of New York, New York.  :)

Bogey

George

Quote from: Bogey on May 17, 2008, 03:41:09 PM
Right on "target" my friend.

8)

Imagine my surprise when I brought this ($9.99 CD) one to the counter to confirm that it was unremastered, only to discover that it's a mint Target!  :o

I just bought two first pressing Japan CD's online:

Back in Black - AC/DC

and

Fair Warning - Van Halen

8)

Bogey

George

Quote from: Bogey on May 17, 2008, 05:45:22 PM
Their best album IMO.

Easily.  8)

Just bought a Japan 2nd pressing of Sticky Fingers.  :)