Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

A 2Gb flash drive to test out Vista's ReadyBoost.

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Haffner

Quote from: mn dave on September 30, 2008, 06:06:12 PM
I don't think I've seen it. It's not very good, is it?

It's pretty bad. Arnold is in it, but way too short.

Bogey

A couple ACE paperbacks:

From the web:
Armageddon 2419 A.D. is Philip Francis Nowlan's novella which first appeared in the August 1928 issue of the pulp magazine Amazing Stories. Later, in the 1960s, the novella and its sequel, The Airlords of Han, were combined by editor Donald A. Wollheim into one paperback novel, titled Armageddon 2419 A.D. The characters and setting eventually evolved into Buck Rogers.

and

Between the title and the cover, I could not pass it up.  ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

bhodges

Quote from: Bogey on October 08, 2008, 07:39:38 PM

Between the title and the cover, I could not pass it up.  ;D

Just a few weeks ago I was in a second-hand bookstore and found a few of these ACE books--all with amazing artwork--and thought, I should really pick up a few.  But this one is one of the best I've seen!

--Bruce

rockerreds

Bogey

Quote from: bhodges on October 09, 2008, 08:27:19 AM
Just a few weeks ago I was in a second-hand bookstore and found a few of these ACE books--all with amazing artwork--and thought, I should really pick up a few.  But this one is one of the best I've seen!

--Bruce

I'll keep an eye out for another one, Bruce.  Send it your way if I see it.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

rockerreds

Blue Ash-"No More,No Less"
Love Story(DVD)

71 dB

KING CRIMSON - DISCIPLINE
Amazon.co.uk Marketplace £6.77
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Heather Harrison

This week, I have been to Sam Weller's bookstore in downtown Salt Lake City twice.  It is a good place to spend money.  I often head for the rare books room to search for old, moldy books that are long forgotten.

I found three bound volumes of old magazines.

The Town and Country Magazine or Universal Repository of Knowledge, Instruction, and Entertainment.  London.  Volume 13 (1781).  I have spent some time looking through this one.  It contains current affairs (including articles about the Revolutionary War), essays, a few short stories (including an entertaining one about sailors), poetry, book reviews, math problems, and engravings.  It is a great window on British culture of the time.  No relation to the modern Town and Country Magazine.  The picture below shows the frontispiece and title page.

Godey's Lady's Book and Ladies' American Magazine.  Philadelphia.  Volumes 26 and 27 (1843).  This is one of many magazines aimed at middle-to-upper-class women.  It consists primarily of short stories and poetry.  It also featured sheet music and engravings.  I love it when I encounter music in these old magazines; I have always liked the popular music of the time, and it is nice to discover new songs.  Usually, they are simple enough that I can play them on my viola.  Music making in the home was a popular activity at that time, so it probably makes sense that the magazines would feature sheet music.

The Atlantic Monthly.  Boston/New York.  Volume 93 (1904).  This magazine consists of fiction, essays, and current affairs.  It is still published today, but it doesn't emphasize fiction to the degree that it did years ago.  I haven't looked through this one much yet, but I am sure I will find a lot of good content when I get to it.

Also, I just bought two candlestick telephones - a Western Electric Model 20B (a rare and sought-after model, dating from c. 1904-1910) and a Kellogg Model 28 (dating from c. 1908-1920).  The Kellogg worked perfectly the first time I tried it, but the Western Electric had bad parts (although, externally, it is in very good shape).  I have replaced the transmitter, and the receiver still needs work.  I can't get the guts out of the receiver, so I might have to send it to a professional to have it repaired, unless I am successful at repairing the coil without removing it (which could easily turn into a major science project).  I have often been impressed with the quality of Kellogg phones; I wish modern products were made to the same standards.  In the picture below, the Kellogg is on the left and the Western Electric is on the right.

Heather

rockerreds

Haffner

Had this more than once in my life, this is the first time I've hard it on cd. The sound is great, the songs Immortal.

Lethevich

Quote from: AndyD. on October 21, 2008, 11:09:38 AM
Had this more than once in my life, this is the first time I've hard it on cd. The sound is great, the songs Immortal.

I recently got into Manowar after a lot of trying. For some reason the studio albums all turned me off them, but a recent live album made the songs sound so much better, especially the ones from the newest album (which sounded awful in the studio version). I am surprised that the old guys can still sing/play so well.

Haffner

Quote from: Lethe on October 21, 2008, 05:16:27 PM
I recently got into Manowar after a lot of trying. For some reason the studio albums all turned me off them, but a recent live album made the songs sound so much better, especially the ones from the newest album (which sounded awful in the studio version). I am surprised that the old guys can still sing/play so well.

I guess Manowar opinions vary according to each individual Metalhead. I thought that their latest studio album, Gods of War, was a milestone in the history of Rock and Metal. But then, I'm old and have been listening to them for 25 years (laughing).

Lethevich

Quote from: AndyD. on October 22, 2008, 03:10:59 AM
I thought that their latest studio album, Gods of War, was a milestone in the history of Rock and Metal. But then, I'm old and have been listening to them for 25 years (laughing).

Part of why I like it on the live version is probably because it was truncated :D

Kullervo

Tolstoy - Death of Ivan Ilych, The Kreutzer Sonata, etc.
Nabokov - Bend Sinister
Muriel Spark - Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Girls of Slender Means, Driver's Seat

I wish I had a scanner; the Tolstoy and Nabokov both have really beautiful cover art.

mn dave

2 CDs:

Eagles of Death Metal - HEART ON

MOONDOG

Haffner

Quote from: mn dave on November 01, 2008, 06:33:57 AM
2 CDs:

Eagles of Death Metal - HEART ON

MOONDOG

Okay, Dave, please let me know. Will your review be here or at your forum? Also, please give me the link to your forum. My bookmarks died.

mn dave

Quote from: AndyD. on November 01, 2008, 08:30:29 AM
Okay, Dave, please let me know. Will your review be here or at your forum? Also, please give me the link to your forum. My bookmarks died.

I assume you mean the EoDM CD.  ;D We have a thread about it...

HERE

71 dB

Just won this (ebay.co.uk) for 6,75 € delivered:

KING CRIMSON - RED
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

karlhenning

This album came out when I was a junior in high school, and it was perhaps the first double-LP I bought on vinyl:

Haven't heard it in decades, though.