Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

At Half-Price Books:

AM I BLUE? - Ethel Waters

DON'T TAMPA WITH THE BLUES - Tampa Red

Heather Harrison

I recently bought two interesting box sets.

The Carter Family:  1927-1934.  This is a budget-priced 5-CD set that provides a comprehensive collection of recordings of old time music (now known as country music) by the Carter Family, perhaps the most famous group in the early days of country music recordings.  This is essentially pure folk music from the Appalachian region, without the slick production values that now characterize country music.  This is a lot of music, and there is a bit of sameness to it after listening to all of these CDs, but it is a style of music that I enjoy on occasion (and which I like far better than its modern descendants).  I've heard early country music by a variety of performers on original 78s and reissue CDs, and the quality is quite variable.  The Carter Family's performances are consistently among the best.  I noticed that a second volume covering 1935-1941 is available; I might have to get that one some day.

The Doors - Perception.  This box set contains all of the studio albums by The Doors on CD and DVD.  They have been remastered and new surround mixes have been created for the DVD.  The first album has been restored to its correct speed (the original tape was a bit slow).  There are a number of extra tracks of material that was not released at the time (alternate takes, different versions, additional songs, etc.) and there are a few videos on the DVDs.  The sound quality is superb, and the surround mixes work surprisingly well.

Other than these CDs, I have been buying other items that I don't need.  Recently, I bought a number of items dating from World War II, including items related to gasoline rationing, savings stamps, food ration stamps and tokens, and German tax stamps and postage stamps.  The history behind these items is fascinating, even if some of them (the German items) have a sinister air about them.

Heather

toledobass

Heather Harrison

No telephones...  There are too many around here anyway.  (I did buy a few telephone parts, however.)  Also, I recently purchased a 20-pound disc-shaped ingot of cadmium for my element collection.  It's about the size of a large dinner plate and is somewhat corroded.  I'm not going to clean it up or mess with it in any way because I don't really want cadmium poisoning.  My friends thought I was nuts when they heard that I had bought it.  They are probably right.

Heather

71 dB

Japanese horror:

Reincarnation (Rinne)

Swedish soft rock:

Logh - A Sunset Panorama: +DVD

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Kullervo

Etymotic ER-6i ear canal headphones

Hope they're good!

Kullervo

Books!

Somerset Maugham - Cakes and Ale and twelve short stories
Niccolo Macchiavelli - The Prince
James Joyce - The Dubliners
J.K. Toole - A Confederacy of Dunces

71 dB

Amazon.co.uk Marketplace:

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King - £5.38 delivered (used)

Lethevich

Cosima Wagner - George R. Marek.

It was £2 and mint condition, I couldn't say no (as usual no pic online).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Daverz

Quote from: Corey on December 01, 2008, 08:09:09 AM
Etymotic ER-6i ear canal headphones

Hope they're good!

Don't know if the 6's have the foam inserts like the 4's, but if so, I suggest those over the rubber inserts, which are really good at raising the temperature of your ears and melting earwax.

Kullervo

Quote from: Daverz on December 17, 2008, 07:36:35 PM
Don't know if the 6's have the foam inserts like the 4's, but if so, I suggest those over the rubber inserts, which are really good at raising the temperature of your ears and melting earwax.

The rubber inserts are a nightmare; very uncomfortable and do not properly seal. The foam inserts are much more comfortable and block out nearly all external sound.

71 dB

Last music purchase of the year?

King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon - £6.73 delivered (amazon.co.uk marketplace)

Lethevich

I just bought Seinfeld seasons 8 and 9 on DVD as collection fillers. I hadn't noticed just how low the prices had gone - from Amazon UK they were £10 each with free shipping - the RRP used to be £35 each.

Renfield

Quote from: Lethe on December 22, 2008, 05:02:15 AM
I just bought Seinfeld seasons 8 and 9 on DVD as collection fillers. I hadn't noticed just how low the prices had gone - from Amazon UK they were £10 each with free shipping - the RRP used to be £35 each.

It's all about the recession.

The only thing going up is the price of games on Steam, but that's another story, and mostly related to the fact that Steam is owned by Americans who can overcharge the rest of the planet towards lessening their astronomical accrued national debt. >:(

Lethevich

Quote from: Renfield on December 22, 2008, 05:20:27 AM
It's all about the recession.

Recession kicks ass. It is fun to be a prudent saver.

71 dB