Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Mn Dave on February 16, 2009, 09:12:56 AM
I might get that Gaye eventually.

If you do, PM me, I have an extra (cheap) copy I will be selling soon.

rockerreds

Haffner

RussellG

Quote from: Mn Dave on February 16, 2009, 09:12:56 AM
I might get that Gaye eventually.
I don't know why, but that album never grabbed me much.  I do love What's Going On though.

George I see you have dived into some Wagner.  You don't pussyfoot around - no one or two discs of overtures and preludes (like I've got), straight into four discs of Lohengrin  :)

George

Quote from: RussellG on February 18, 2009, 04:12:35 PM
I don't know why, but that album never grabbed me much.  I do love What's Going On though.

George I see you have dived into some Wagner.  You don't pussyfoot around - no one or two discs of overtures and preludes (like I've got), straight into four discs of Lohengrin  :)

;D

Yes, those who know me know that when I get into something, I get into something.

I now own 5 masterings of Queen's News of the World.  8)

RussellG

Quote from: George on February 18, 2009, 04:15:07 PM
;D

Yes, those who know me know that when I get into something, I get into something.

I now own 5 masterings of Queen's News of the World.  8)
Cool, I have been considering expanding my Wagner into complete operas too, and will be interested to hear what you think.  I thought Lohengrin might be a good place to start, since it's four discs and not 14  ;D

Just arrived - Captain Beyond S/T (1972 prog/psych/space/jazz debut album from a supergroup that included Rod Evans, the original lead singer for Deep Purple, and two ex-members of Iron Butterfly).

George

Quote from: RussellG on February 18, 2009, 04:24:21 PM
Cool, I have been considering expanding my Wagner into complete operas too, and will be interested to hear what you think.  I thought Lohengrin might be a good place to start, since it's four discs and not 14  ;D

Yes, the $12 price tag and glowing reviews from friends and critics made the decision easy.

RE: the rest of your post, await a quick reply from Andy.  $:)

RussellG

Quote from: George on February 18, 2009, 04:32:16 PM
Yes, the $12 price tag and glowing reviews from friends and critics made the decision easy.

Man I love my 2-disc set of Wagner overtures and preludes.  If you're unfamiliar with the material, you're in for a real treat.

The Captain Beyond album appears to be a bit of a hidden gem.  It's spoken of in glowing terms whereever it's mentioned, including here:  http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:gzfixqq5ldje

Haffner

Quote from: George on February 18, 2009, 04:32:16 PM

;) Lohengrin is a grat place to start. It's alot easier to get into than the operas after, and not anywhere near as derivative of Italian as the ones before. I started with the Ring, but it took me months before it finally clicked. The rest is history...just check my signature.

The Prelude to Act I of Lohengrin is the first thing I'd reccomend to anyone who wanted an example of power and beauty in music. Period. When I first heard the Solti rendering of this piece, I had to lay down on the floor. I was just devastated. It's the definition of gorgeous, at least for me. Besides my girl (had to throw that in, you never know who's lurking  :D).

George

Quote from: RussellG on February 18, 2009, 04:41:51 PM
Man I love my 2-disc set of Wagner overtures and preludes.  If you're unfamiliar with the material, you're in for a real treat.

Which one did you get? Solti?

(I hope that we don't get into trouble for discussing classical in the non-classical room)  ;D

George

Quote from: AndyD. on February 18, 2009, 04:43:17 PM
;) Lohengrin is a grat place to start. It's alot easier to get into than the operas after, and not anywhere near as derivative of Italian as the ones before. I started with the Ring, but it took me months before it finally clicked. The rest is history...just check my signature.

I am so excited about hearing this now...

*checks mailbox (again)*  :)

RussellG

Quote from: George on February 18, 2009, 04:50:16 PM
Which one did you get? Solti?

(I hope that we don't get into trouble for discussing classical in the non-classical room)  ;D
Yeah I probably should have raised this in the Classical Purchases thread.  Oh well.  Mine is on DG and includes Messrs Jochum, HvK, Bohm und Kubelik:  http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Overtures-Preludes/dp/B000001GLB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235008665&sr=1-3

Haffner

Quote from: RussellG on February 18, 2009, 04:59:00 PM
Yeah I probably should have raised this in the Classical Purchases thread.  Oh well.  Mine is on DG and includes Messrs Jochum, HvK, Bohm und Kubelik:  http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Overtures-Preludes/dp/B000001GLB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235008665&sr=1-3

I thought that looked interesting. Haven't heard it yet. The Kubelik Siegfried looks like it might be very interesting His Parsifal is cream of the studio crop, in my opinion. Also Jochum doing Parsifal...that looks good!

RussellG

Quote from: AndyD. on February 18, 2009, 05:02:42 PM

I thought that looked interesting. Haven't heard it yet. The Kubelik Siegfried looks like it might be very interesting His Parsifal is cream of the studio crop, in my opinion. Also Jochum doing Parsifal...that looks good!
It's difficult for me to say how good it is objectively, since I've heard little other Wagner, but subjectively it's great.  I did also have a 3-disc set on Brilliant Classics (now apparently OOP) featuring The Philharmonia with Simonov and D'Avalos, but I liked the DG performances better.  The Brilliant did have Overtures from Die Feen and Das Liebesverbot though, which I liked a lot, and are not on the DG set.

Dr. Dread

Crime fiction:

Saturday's Child by Ray Banks
The Ivory Grin by Ross MacDonald
Find A Victim by Ross MacDonald

RussellG

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (original unremastered USA CD)
Patti Smith - Radio Ethiopia (original Arista West Germany SONOPRESS CD)
Iggy Pop - Lust for Life (early Australian CD)
Neil Young - Comes a Time (early Australian CD)
Alice Cooper - School's Out (Australian CD)
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (original first pressing Germany CD)
Amon Duul II - Lemmingmania (mid-90's Japan Captain Trips CD, with OBI)
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - The Pacific Age (original 1986 France CD)

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dr. Dread

Deep Purple - Made in Japan

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Haffner

Quote from: Mn Dave on February 21, 2009, 11:47:00 AM
Deep Purple - Made in Japan

I've worn out my vinyl and cassette of that Classic, so I need to grab the cd SOON. Which one are you getting, Dave? Gold or black cover? I've heard the gold has better sound, the black a really cool booklet.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: AndyD. on February 21, 2009, 11:58:50 AM

I've worn out my vinyl and cassette of that Classic, so I need to grab the cd SOON. Which one are you getting, Dave? Gold or black cover? I've heard the gold has better sound, the black a really cool booklet.

Downloaded from iTunes. Black cover image.

Never owned it before now.

I knew you'd see this.  ;D