Quote from: Mn Dave on April 04, 2009, 01:36:57 PM
I like this one.

;D

See #7.

http://www.nar.org/NARmrsc.html

I would need to get certified for anything larger than that.  ;D

But there is this level of rocketry should I seek and get certified:

http://www.nar.org/hpcert/NARhprintro.html
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Plus Dave, I believe if my rocket does not work I am out about $30.  For your Delta II (?) with its DS1 payload: from the web $152.3 million comprised of $94.8 million for development, $43.5 million for launch, $10.3 million for operations, and $3.7 million for science.   That would be a lot of cds you would be missing out on. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

RussellG

Quote from: Bogey on April 04, 2009, 02:15:57 PM
Plus Dave, I believe if my rocket does not work I am out about $30.  For your Delta II (?) with its DS1 payload: from the web $152.3 million comprised of $94.8 million for development, $43.5 million for launch, $10.3 million for operations, and $3.7 million for science.   That would be a lot of cds you would be missing out on. ;D

What a cool hobby rocketry must be.  Trouble is I'd always be striving to end up with this in the backyard:

Bogey

Quote from: RussellG on April 04, 2009, 02:23:18 PM
What a cool hobby rocketry must be.  Trouble is I'd always be striving to end up with this in the backyard:

A lot of fun.

The Saturn V is easily my favorite rocket, Russell, for a number of reasons, but truly took the first spot when I was able to view like this when we visited Cape Kennedy last summer:

Trust me, it is quite a walk to the other end.  :)

RussellG

Quote from: Bogey on April 04, 2009, 02:30:03 PM
The Saturn V is easily my favorite rocket, Russell, for a number of reasons, but truly took the first spot when I was able to view like this when we visited Cape Kennedy last summer:

The most impressive piece of machinery devised by man IMO.

Kullervo

The Belles Heures of Jean, Duke de Berry, Prince of France

A book of gorgeous reproductions of the illuminated Book of Hours from the 1400s. I can't find any photos from this edition, but the colors are amazingly vivid (they even have gold foil to simulate the gilded scripts).

Bogey

Quote from: Corey on April 05, 2009, 03:44:55 PM
The Belles Heures of Jean, Duke de Berry, Prince of France

A book of gorgeous reproductions of the illuminated Book of Hours from the 1400s. I can't find any photos from this edition, but the colors are amazingly vivid (they even have gold foil to simulate the gilded scripts).

Can you link me to this edition, Corey.....and quickly.  :)

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on April 05, 2009, 04:50:32 PM
Can you link me to this edition, Corey.....and quickly.  :)

This is the only thing I could find: http://openlibrary.org/b/OL6251943M/Belles-Heures-of-Jean,-Duke-of-Berry

Doesn't look like anyone is selling it online. :(

Bogey

Do you mind me asking where you got it and how many bones it set you back?

Kullervo

Quote from: Bogey on April 05, 2009, 05:02:17 PM
Do you mind me asking where you got it and how many bones it set you back?

A used bookshop here in town. The bookseller himself got it from an estate sale. I paid only $15 for it, which is not unusual for this particular shop. I've often found books a century old (or older) for almost nothing.

Brian

Some movies:

Hamlet (1996; Kenneth Branagh)
Henry V (1989; Kenneth Branagh)
Doubt (2008; not Kenneth Branagh)

Bogey

Quote from: Brian on April 09, 2009, 12:35:31 PM
Some movies:

Hamlet (1996; Kenneth Branagh)
Henry V (1989; Kenneth Branagh)
Doubt (2008; not Kenneth Branagh)

Still need to see all three, Brian.

Brian

Quote from: Bogey on April 09, 2009, 05:54:44 PM
Still need to see all three, Brian.
In my Shakespeare class we've seen clips from the Branagh Hamlet back-to-back with excerpts from the Mel Gibson Hamlet, and the difference is eye-opening, sometimes even jaw-dropping. The Gibson Hamlet is good. It delivers when it needs to, the soliloquys are mighty fine, Gibson adds some clever touches and is supported by a great cast, and the play is cut down to a manageable size. But the difference between Gibson (well, actually, I should say Zeffirelli - Franco directed Mel) and Branagh is the difference between a pretty good movie and a great movie. It's the difference between something you enjoy of an evening and something you never forget. When I watch the Zeffirelli Hamlet I'm aware that it's highly competently executed; when I watch the Branagh one every second is absolutely electric, the kind of filmmaking that dazzles with its imagination and invention and glorious acting (Jacobi as Claudius!) - but keeps me so busy being enveloped in the story that I hardly notice I'm watching a movie. I'm really, really looking forward to getting that copy.

That said, I haven't seen it all the way through, and am a little nervous to see how Jack Lemmon, Billy Crystal and Robin Williams can handle Shakespearean dialogue (as Marcellus, the Gravedigger and Osric, to be exact). Incidentally, the Branagh Hamlet is totally uncut and therefore lasts four hours!

I have seen Branagh's complete Henry V. It's incredibly low-budget, so there are only about 20 fighters at Agincourt who are just shown over and over - the same French guy dies several times  ;D - but Branagh's St. Crispin's Day speech is a knockout, Derek Jacobi (again!) as the Prologue delivers a masterful opening - "O for a Muse of fire!" - and there is a scene, well, actually, a single shot, which takes place immediately after the battle is over, which I would rank among the great shots in the history of cinema. You'll know it when you see it. It's extraordinary. For many years my professor considered Henry V the greatest Shakespeare film ever made, though this year he's taken to the McKellen Richard III, which is pretty hair-raising.

Kullervo

I've mentioned it before, but Grigory Kozintsev's Hamlet is my favorite film adaptation of Shakespeare (and one of the best-looking films ever made, to boot).

Brian

Quote from: Corey on April 10, 2009, 11:14:53 AM
I've mentioned it before, but Grigory Kozintsev's Hamlet is my favorite film adaptation of Shakespeare (and one of the best-looking films ever made, to boot).
Not to mention one of the best soundtracks! ;)

Bu

George

Nice Bu!

I have the other three Bergman boxes (The Early Bergman, etc) and this is my favorite.

Bu

Quote from: George on April 11, 2009, 04:50:59 AM
Nice Bu!

I have the other three Bergman boxes (The Early Bergman, etc) and this is my favorite.

Thanks, George!  Can't wait to dig into the movies here; have only seen Through a Glass, Darkly but that was about 10 years ago and my memory is pretty dim about it.  Was thinking of getting the Early Bergman set, but didn't know if any of those films would be as good as his later ones.  Are they?

George

Quote from: Bu on April 11, 2009, 12:38:14 PM
Thanks, George!  Can't wait to dig into the movies here; have only seen Through a Glass, Darkly but that was about 10 years ago and my memory is pretty dim about it.  Was thinking of getting the Early Bergman set, but didn't know if any of those films would be as good as his later ones.  Are they?

They aren't as good, but they are good nonetheless.

Bu

Quote from: George on April 11, 2009, 12:51:41 PM
They aren't as good, but they are good nonetheless.

Should still be an interesting viewing, then.  With the 40% discount I might as well give them a shot.