Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Bu on April 11, 2009, 12:59:03 PM
Should still be an interesting viewing, then.  With the 40% discount I might as well give them a shot.

There's always that "4 masterpieces boxes" set too or the one with "Anna/Shame/Persona, etc" too.

If individual DVDs are on sale too, I'd grab Autumn Sonata and Scenes from a Marriage ahead of any of those boxes if I were you. 

rockerreds

Billy Bragg & Wilco-Mermaid Avenue
Bob Marley And The Wailers-Natty Dread (Barry Diament mastering)
Rolling Stones-Out Of Our Heads
Marshall Crenshaw-Life's Too Short

Bu

Quote from: George on April 11, 2009, 01:05:16 PM
There's always that "4 masterpieces boxes" set too or the one with "Anna/Shame/Persona, etc" too.

If individual DVDs are on sale too, I'd grab Autumn Sonata and Scenes from a Marriage ahead of any of those boxes if I were you. 

Oh, all the cds and dvds are at 40% clearance, George.  Have been buying lots and lots of everything I can think of! :D

Saw Scenes there & was planning on buying that next time. Didn't see Autumn Sonata, but have already watched that one recently thanks to a friend and enjoyed it immensly.  Hmm.....that 4 masterpieces sounds enticing, but I probably already have some of the dvds in that package.

George

Quote from: Bu on April 11, 2009, 01:14:07 PM
Oh, all the cds and dvds are at 40% clearance, George.  Have been buying lots and lots of everything I can think of! :D

Saw Scenes there & was planning on buying that next time. Didn't see Autumn Sonata, but have already watched that one recently thanks to a friend and enjoyed it immensly.  Hmm.....that 4 masterpieces sounds enticing, but I probably already have some of the dvds in that package.

The 4 movies are Virgin Spring, Wild Strawberries, Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night.

Bu

Quote from: George on April 11, 2009, 01:26:09 PM
The 4 movies are Virgin Spring, Wild Strawberries, Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night.

Already have two of those films (Wild Strawberries & Seventh Seal).   :(

I think I'll just focus on the early set with Scenes from a Marriage.   ;)

George

Quote from: Bu on April 11, 2009, 01:38:51 PM
Already have two of those films (Wild Strawberries & Seventh Seal).   :(

I think I'll just focus on the early set with Scenes from a Marriage.   ;)

Scenes from a Marriage is long, but man is it incredible. 

Bu

Quote from: George on April 11, 2009, 01:41:50 PM
Scenes from a Marriage is long, but man is it incredible. 

Yeah, there's two versions, I hear: the shorter theatrical cut and then the version for Swedish tv.  Both are on the Criterion dvds, right?
Regardless, I look foward to seeing at least one!  ;D

George

Quote from: Bu on April 11, 2009, 01:56:54 PM
Yeah, there's two versions, I hear: the shorter theatrical cut and then the version for Swedish tv.  Both are on the Criterion dvds, right?
Regardless, I look foward to seeing at least one!  ;D

The Criterion DVD I have includes both versions.  8)

Bu

Quote from: George on April 11, 2009, 02:13:45 PM
The Criterion DVD I have includes both versions.  8)

Heeell Yeeeeaaah!   :D

rockerreds

Jay F

I didn't purchase it, but hearing Susan Boyle sing "I Dreamed a Dream" on BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT inspired me to watch the entire LES MISERABLES 10TH ANNIVERSARY CONCERT on You Tube yesterday. Talk about a tear-jerker.

BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

10TH ANNIVERSARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-IBJpEMzA&feature=related

Dr. Dread

Book:

Understanding Toscanini by Joseph Horowitz

Music:

The Singing Wayfarer - Burl Ives (2CD)
The Undisputed Queen of the Blues - Bessie Smith (2CD)
Sacrifist - Praxis
Too Much Pain... - Little Milton
Heat Treatment - Graham Parker (re-buy)
Bloodshot Eyes: The Best of Wynonie Harris

All used.

rockerreds

What's Up Matador(Matador)
L7-Hungry For Stink(Slash/Reprise)

rockerreds

Billy Bragg and Wilco-Mermaid Avenue Vol.2 (CD)
Julie London-Wives & Lovers (mono vinyl)

mwb

Arrived from Amazon yesterday (we'll count it as today):

And with that Phase 1 of my plan to muck with Amazon's recommendation system had begun!  ;D

----------------
Listening to: Brahms, Johannes - Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 77 II. Adagio - Julia Fischer (violin)/Yakov Kreizberg (conductor)/Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra
- Michael

Bogey

Threw done 30 bones for this piece of vinyl today, and am still smiling. ;)

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

RussellG

Quote from: Bogey on April 18, 2009, 11:29:50 AM
Threw done 30 bones for this piece of vinyl today, and am still smiling. ;)

Man I love 60's songs about cars.

Bogey

I have these two also, Russell:

Kind of started to make this a side collection.  A lot of fun digging through bins looking for them.  I am not really much a car guy.  Heck, I drive a '93 Suzuki Sidekick with oxidized paint.  But my dad always read hot-rod magazines, so fun to to grab them on that account alone.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Three pieces of vinyl from a local show:

The lads from Liverpool Boulder, Colorado:

No collection is complete without a sampling of the T-Bones:

This double lp set remastered by Steve Hoffman:

George

Quote from: Bogey on April 19, 2009, 04:54:43 PM

This double lp set remastered by Steve Hoffman:

Nice! I have the CD incarnation. MCA, right?