Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2009, 01:21:55 PM
Got my attention here, Dave.

Quality sword-and-planet stuff, dude.  8) She also worked on the script for The Empire Strikes Back.

Read more!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Brackett

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on June 09, 2009, 01:26:37 PM
Quality sword-and-planet stuff, dude.  8) She also worked on the script for The Empire Strikes Back.

Read more!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Brackett

I thought this was worth copying and bringing over:

The Empire Strikes Back

Brackett worked on the screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back. The movie won the Hugo Award in 1981. This script was a departure for Brackett, since until then, all of her science fiction had been in the form of novels and short stories.

The exact role which Brackett played in writing the script for Empire is the subject of some dispute. What is agreed on by all is that George Lucas asked Brackett to write the screenplay based on his story outline. It is also known that Brackett wrote a finished first draft which was delivered to Lucas shortly before Brackett's death from cancer on March 18, 1978. The screenplay was revised for filming by Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan, and both Brackett and Kasdan (though not Lucas) were given credit for the final script.

Many reviewers believed that they could detect traces of Brackett's influence in both the dialogue and the treatment of the space opera genre in Empire.[3] However, Laurent Bouzereau, in his book Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays, states that Lucas disliked the direction of Brackett's screenplay and discarded it. He then produced two screenplays before turning the results over to Kasdan, who did not work directly with Brackett's script at all. By this scenario, Lucas' assignment of credit to Brackett was a mere courtesy or mark of respect for the work she had done during her illness.[4] Support for this view comes from Stephen Haffner, owner of the press that printed Martian Quest: The Early Brackett, who has read Brackett's script, and claims that -- outside Lucas' storyline -- nothing of Brackett's personal contributions survives in the finished movie.

Brackett's screenplay has never been published. According to Haffner, it can be read at the library of the Eastern New Mexico University in Portales, New Mexico, but may not be copied or borrowed off-site.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Not exactly a purchase, but I just downloaded and installed the very fast Safari 4.0 browser. I read in a test that it was 2X as fast as Firefox. They were wrong. It's more like 5 times faster, at least on my computer. I found an easy way to import all my thousands of bookmarks too:

1. Export bookmarks to HMTL from FF.
2. In menu bar on Safari, click File>Import Bookmarks.
3. Browse to your bookmarks.html file and click Open.

Note: same process on Windows and Mac, except in Windows version you need to be sure the Menu Bar is enabled. Click little gear icon on right hand side next to the bug report button, and click on "Show Menu Bar."

Man I am lovin' this Safari 4.0 my Firefox had gotten sluggish even with modifications, so this is good news!

karlhenning

Quote from: Bogey on June 09, 2009, 03:40:59 PM

I thought this was worth copying and bringing over:

The Empire Strikes Back

Brackett worked on the screenplay for The Empire Strikes Back. The movie won the Hugo Award in 1981. This script was a departure for Brackett, since until then, all of her science fiction had been in the form of novels and short stories.

The exact role which Brackett played in writing the script for Empire is the subject of some dispute. What is agreed on by all is that George Lucas asked Brackett to write the screenplay based on his story outline. It is also known that Brackett wrote a finished first draft which was delivered to Lucas shortly before Brackett's death from cancer on March 18, 1978. The screenplay was revised for filming by Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan, and both Brackett and Kasdan (though not Lucas) were given credit for the final script.

Many reviewers believed that they could detect traces of Brackett's influence in both the dialogue and the treatment of the space opera genre in Empire.[3] However, Laurent Bouzereau, in his book Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays, states that Lucas disliked the direction of Brackett's screenplay and discarded it. He then produced two screenplays before turning the results over to Kasdan, who did not work directly with Brackett's script at all. By this scenario, Lucas' assignment of credit to Brackett was a mere courtesy or mark of respect for the work she had done during her illness.[4] Support for this view comes from Stephen Haffner, owner of the press that printed Martian Quest: The Early Brackett, who has read Brackett's script, and claims that -- outside Lucas' storyline -- nothing of Brackett's personal contributions survives in the finished movie.

Brackett's screenplay has never been published. According to Haffner, it can be read at the library of the Eastern New Mexico University in Portales, New Mexico, but may not be copied or borrowed off-site.

Most interesting. Considering the none-too-high opinion I have of Lucas as a writer, I imagine that the probability that Brackett's screenplay was reasonably good, worked in its disfavor  8)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 11, 2009, 05:27:01 AM
Most interesting. Considering the none-too-high opinion I have of Lucas as a writer, I imagine that the probability that Brackett's screenplay was reasonably good, worked in its disfavor  8)

She also worked on The Big Sleep with Faulkner... She got around. :)

Bogey

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 11, 2009, 05:27:01 AM
Most interesting. Considering the none-too-high opinion I have of Lucas as a writer, I imagine that the probability that Brackett's screenplay was reasonably good, worked in its disfavor  8)

I do not believe the writing is all that bad, Karl considering it was meant for 4 and up to understand.  I just cringe when I hear he is going to be sitting in the director's chair or even standing beside it.  ;D

Dr. Dread

I was never a big Star Wars fan but must admit Empire was my favorite.

Bogey

Quote from: MN Dave on June 11, 2009, 06:41:56 AM
I was never a big Star Wars fan but must admit Empire was my favorite.

Mine as well....easily.

George

Quote from: George on June 10, 2009, 08:33:14 PM
Not exactly a purchase, but I just downloaded and installed the very fast Safari 4.0 browser. I read in a test that it was 2X as fast as Firefox. They were wrong. It's more like 5 times faster, at least on my computer. I found an easy way to import all my thousands of bookmarks too:

1. Export bookmarks to HMTL from FF.
2. In menu bar on Safari, click File>Import Bookmarks.
3. Browse to your bookmarks.html file and click Open.

Note: same process on Windows and Mac, except in Windows version you need to be sure the Menu Bar is enabled. Click little gear icon on right hand side next to the bug report button, and click on "Show Menu Bar."

Man I am lovin' this Safari 4.0 my Firefox had gotten sluggish even with modifications, so this is good news!

Actually I spoke too soon. Though Safari 4.0 works incredibly well on MAC, at work I tried it on my Windows XP PC and it only gives me blank white pages.  ???

Dr. Dread

Aerosmith doing blues songs. Got it in the mail the other day. The audiophiles would not like it. But I can dig it.

Haffner

Henk

Couldn't resist..

My collection has reached a certain size / quality that there's always something I like to listen to and it's still small enough to digest everything. So now I want to build on my collection more modestly, only focus on new releases.

Henk

Henk

My first LP!
Fans of late Coltrane should definetily check this out.

Dr. Dread