Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubio

Quote from: corey on July 04, 2009, 10:00:46 AM

I just read Ferdydurke, and I loved it!! What a wild ride in the diverse use of language that is. The only thing is that it is almost untranslatable (according to my Polish wife), because Gombrowicz invented a lot of words on his own, but I still think the translater has done an excellent job (from Polish to Norwegian that is). Any other recommendations on Gombrowicz are very welcomed!
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Lethevich

I found a neat secondhand bookstore today in a village I previously hadn't heard of. Cramped but with an entire room for art and architecture. I got:

(Turner's Rivers, Harbours and Coasts)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on July 06, 2009, 09:36:24 AM
I found a neat secondhand bookstore today in a village I previously hadn't heard of. Cramped but with an entire room for art and architecture. I got:
(Turner's Rivers, Harbours and Coasts)

If you thought I was unstoppable on the PreRaphs, don't get me started on Turner ....

Lethevich

:D I have "difficulty" with most art to some degree or another, but Turner is one who came easily - especially the mind-rearranging late works. I can't think of another "establishment approved" figure (pre-20th c) who continued their artistic evolution to such un-crowd-pleasing lengths, but because people admired him, the radical works appear to have gained appreciation rather rapidly. I could be a bit wrong in this impression, though, as I have yet to read a biography on him, only style analysis. Rain, Steam, and Speed as far as I am concerned might be the greatest painting a Briton has produced, although this "maybe" depends on seeing it in real life first. Its colours vary greatly depending on photograph/scan, and completely alter its mood.

It's sad to read the occasional "wherabouts unknown" caption in books like this, but I suppose how much is preserved by organisations is a blessing.

I forgot about my other bag, which contained an old and cheap Constable bio (a chap whose work I have yet to fully appreciate - too chocolate box at its most famous, but almost Turneresque - albeit early/middle Turner - at its best), and an ungodly amount of 10-50p pamphlets on various buildings. Sometimes I feel that I am the only person under the age of 60 who cares about fan vaulting in obscure parish churches serving villages with names like "Ottery"... ::)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on July 06, 2009, 11:20:41 AM
I can't think of another "establishment approved" figure (pre-20th c) who continued their artistic evolution to such un-crowd-pleasing lengths, but because people admired him, the radical works appear to have gained appreciation rather rapidly. I could be a bit wrong in this impression, though, as I have yet to read a biography on him, only style analysis. Rain, Steam, and Speed as far as I am concerned might be the greatest painting a Briton has produced, although this "maybe" depends on seeing it in real life first. Its colours vary greatly depending on photograph/scan, and completely alter its mood.

Almost from the beginning he was controversial, but he could so clearly outpaint everyone else out of sight in almost any style he attempted, that he was pretty well unanswerable, despite the hammering he got from conventional critics. And Ruskin's impassioned defence of Turner's imaginative naturalism played a part after his death, too.

QuoteI forgot about my other bag, which contained an old and cheap Constable bio (a chap whose work I have yet to fully appreciate - too chocolate box at its most famous, but almost Turneresque - albeit early/middle Turner - at its best)

What's always so striking about Constable is that when after a gap of time, I visit any of his most well-known paintings, I'm astonished by how fresh and un-stodgy and un-chocolate boxy they really are. They suffer terribly by being reduced from 6 feet wide to just a few inches on a calendar or something. In his day he was a genuine avante-garde painter, making real discoveries about the perception of landscape and expressing them in paint with staggering (but very hard-won) power. His sketches are often brilliant beyond description.

Quoteand an ungodly amount of 10-50p pamphlets on various buildings. Sometimes I feel that I am the only person under the age of 60 who cares about fan vaulting in obscure parish churches serving villages with names like "Ottery"... ::)

I confess to knowing nothing at all about fan-vaulting in obscure parish churches, alas. But you did mention Crewkerne in a recent post, which I've driven through several times en route to Lyme; and I do know the village of Abbotsbury, with, just by its parish church, the Abbotsbury Tea Rooms which have what I think might be the finest tea garden in all England. Do you know Abbotsbury? St Catherine's Hill?

I can't go on hijacking threads like this. We need a sort of 'Book-buying and art-chat miscellany with special reference to fan vaulting' thread.

The new erato

Yes, let's put the artsy-fartsy stuff safely away.

Henk

An Hour With...  - Clusone 3 (Hatology)
Trois Plans Sur La Comete - Francois Raulin (Hatology)
Tenderly - Joe Maneri (Hatology)
Marc Copland And... - Marc Copland (Hatology)
I Know About The Life - Archie Shepp (Hatology)
Snijbloemen - Theo Jorgensmann (Hatology)
To Ornette - Hybrid Identity - Theo Jorgensmann (Hatology)
Ramasuri - Max Nagl (Hatology)

Sale at Jazzloft

Dr. Dread

CD

71 dB

e@stgate Music Shop:

Tangerine Dream - Chandra
Tangerine Dream - Choice
Tangerine Dream - One Times One

0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Drasko

Quote from: corey on July 10, 2009, 12:42:04 PM
Ivo Andric - Bosnian Chronicle

Interesting choice, how did you come to it? I like that book, captures the atmosphere of inert stillness of Ottoman backwater perfectly, sticky atmosphere thwarting any desire for action of any sort. I prefer it to better known Bridge on Drina. Another Andric favorite is short novella The Damned Yard.

CD

Quote from: Drasko on July 14, 2009, 06:01:17 AM
Interesting choice, how did you come to it? I like that book, captures the atmosphere of inert stillness of Ottoman backwater perfectly, sticky atmosphere thwarting any desire for action of any sort. I prefer it to better known Bridge on Drina. Another Andric favorite is short novella The Damned Yard.

I read Bridge on the Drina a few weeks ago and loved how he captured human emotion and places it in an epic and historical framework without making the sundry characters that appear throughout seem faceless or unimportant. There doesn't seem to be much of his writing available in English but I found Bosnian Chronicle fairly cheap used at Amazon.

Drasko

Quote from: corey on July 14, 2009, 12:13:13 PM
There doesn't seem to be much of his writing available in English

He wasn't all that prolific, just four novels (of which one posthumously published), one novella and lots of short stories. Stories are quite good, should be able to find some or other selection, usually come coupled with novella The Damned Yard.

http://www.ivoandric.org.yu/html/works.html

Brünnhilde ewig

My today's purchase.

Well, the title of the subject doesn't say 'musical' or 'printed' purchases!

71 dB

King Crimson - THRAK - used - $7.61*
King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light - used - $9.38*

*shipping included.

71 dB

Bu

Tarkvosky's Mirror:

Klimov's film about Rasputin:

Sokurov's Mother and Son: