Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

This is scandalously cheap on Amazon.com. A sizable book with 300 pages, hundreds of illustrations and photographs, very readable, for... $1.70. This planet has gone nuts :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

71 dB

King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Clifford Brown: Four Classic Albums (Brown And Roach Inc / Jam Session / Study In Brown / New Star On The Horizon)

George

Dr. Dread

DVDs:

Brisco County Jr. Complete
BSG Season 3

Book:

High Bloods by John Farris

karlhenning

$10.61 incl. tax at FYE

karlhenning

An interesting show when the shortest track on the album ("The Return of the Giant Hogweed") runs 8:14.  Apparently, they'd also recorded "Supper's Ready" live, and were considering it for inclusion. At the last, since they'd just released Foxtrot, of which "Supper's Ready" takes up almost all of side 2 . . . they decided against two back-to-back albums with the same number consuming all of one side.

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Solitary Wanderer

Just arrived. I've been interested to read this for some time. Very suprised to discover it's only 100 pages long - for some reason I had thought it to be 300+ pages...

:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

71 dB

Tangerine Dream - Live Miles
King Crimson - Beat
Kate Bush - Aerial
Kate Bush - The Sensual World

karlhenning

$10.62 at the Quincy Market Newbury Comics

Haffner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 07, 2009, 07:29:22 AM
$10.62 at the Quincy Market Newbury Comics

I used to hit Newbury Comics all the time back in my hometown of Portland Maine. Great deals and plenty of cool "stuff"!

AC/DC If You Want Blood...You've Got It

Elgarian

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 06, 2009, 02:57:53 PM

Just arrived. I've been interested to read this for some time. Very suprised to discover it's only 100 pages long - for some reason I had thought it to be 300+ pages...

I had a Horace Walpole phase some years ago and enjoyed the wit of his letters enormously. Castle of Otranto is great fun as long as it's not approached as 'great literature', but in the 'spooky entertainment' spirit in which, I suppose, Walpole expected it to be enjoyed. It's a great way of enjoying the spirit of its age. I picked up a slim eighteenth century copy in a secondhand bookshop, in its original dark, plain, time-charactered leather binding, and the impression of the letterpress tangible when you run a finger over the pages.

CD

Solitary Wanderer

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 06, 2009, 02:57:53 PM

Quote from: Elgarian on August 08, 2009, 12:40:54 AM
I had a Horace Walpole phase some years ago and enjoyed the wit of his letters enormously. Castle of Otranto is great fun as long as it's not approached as 'great literature', but in the 'spooky entertainment' spirit in which, I suppose, Walpole expected it to be enjoyed. It's a great way of enjoying the spirit of its age. I picked up a slim eighteenth century copy in a secondhand bookshop, in its original dark, plain, time-charactered leather binding, and the impression of the letterpress tangible when you run a finger over the pages.

Yes, my approach will be what you mentioned. I'm going through a 'classic Gothic fiction' phase at the moment and this is considered the grandfather of the genre. I loved the description of the aged copy you found...  :)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Sergeant Rock

In memory of Willy deVille, who died this week, I ordered several of his CDs. This is the first to arrive:

Willy's obit here

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lethevich

Quote from: Solitary Wanderer on August 10, 2009, 12:39:29 PM
Yes, my approach will be what you mentioned. I'm going through a 'classic Gothic fiction' phase at the moment and this is considered the grandfather of the genre. I loved the description of the aged copy you found...  :)

Thanks for pointing this out - there are such huge gaps in my reading that after seeing the price on Amazon, immediately pre-ordered this thing. Can't argue with a price like that 0:)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.