Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

I didn't buy A Glastonbury Romance because I felt that any book of 1100 small-print pages which cannot prove it has a real plot in the blurb I will never manage to finish.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on October 03, 2009, 07:30:41 AM
I didn't buy A Glastonbury Romance because I felt that any book of 1100 small-print pages which cannot prove it has a real plot in the blurb I will never manage to finish.

Oh yes, yes.

I've always felt I ought to want to read it though.

Drasko

Bought myself a new knife, Berghoff, 8 inch carbon steel. Heavy thing, different balance than my old faithful Spanish, 7 inch, wooden handle, San Jorge.

Will have to try not to chop off my fingers till get used to it.

Also this:

none of my local bookstores had it, so had to order it from US amazon, now it'll take two weeks to arrive.

Lethevich

Succumbed to some pop history. Usually I dislike it, but this book seems interesting.

71 dB

TANGERINE DREAM - 220 Volt
DOCTOR WHO - Bred of War [5 DVD boxset]
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bogey

Some vinyl from a local record show:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Glad you scored some loot today, Bill:D

Bogey

Quote from: George on October 18, 2009, 05:59:38 PM
Glad you scored some loot today, Bill:D

Thanks, buddy!  It was a fun show.  The El Dorado album was the best find.  I had it in my pile to buy from one of the better dealers.  He had $50 on it, but with the 40% coupon that he sent me last month it brought it down, plus I had some vinyl that I wanted to get rid of and he gave me $17 more in trade.  Another collector came by and introduced himself when he saw the album.  He specializes in the gunfighter covers and said he had never seen a copy.  He told me he would have bought it on the spot had he seen it.   There were a couple on Ebay, but like me, we only buy vinyl that we can actually examine.  Plus "the hunt" is 90% of the fun! :)

The Johnny Western was another great find.  I got my copy for $10.  The vinyl is in great shape, but the cover is a bit rough.  They had a nicer one, but that was $50 as well.

I also scored a still sealed set of Moravec Beethoven albums....needles to say, that seal will soon be broken.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Quote from: Bogey on October 18, 2009, 06:10:42 PM

I also scored a still sealed set of Moravec Beethoven albums....needles to say, that seal will soon be broken.

Which works are on there?

Bogey

MN Dave

The new Hall and Oates box set. The one with that long title.

CD

Quote from: MN Dave on October 20, 2009, 08:13:39 AM
The new Hall and Oates box set. The one with that long title.

Sara smile, you're a rich girl, you make my dreams come true and your kiss is on my list but she's a maneater and I can't go for that (no can do)?

MN Dave

Lethevich

Woah, this thing is amazing. Each sonnet is displayed on a double-faced page, with the sonnet on the right, and the footnotes on the left, sometimes overunning onto the blank space at the bottom of the right if there are particularly many. 160 pages of introductory writing, and his few stand-alone poems included as a bonus. I was slightly confused to find The Phoenix and the Turtle titled Let the Bird of Loudest Lay - I had never seen it referred to by that name before and almost thought it had been left out, but no doubt it'll explain the rationale. It's a really well-presented book at an amazingly low price on UK Amazon (and not too bad on US either) - glad I didn't pick up the much cheaper Dover Thrift instead.

Edit: just bought the second one, added next to the first. Hopeless book addict :\

MN Dave

Edith Wharton - Ethan Frome I love her.
Nick Mamatas - You Might Sleep... He's one smart cookie.
John Truby - The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller You never stop learning.
Gabriel Hunt - Through the Cradle of Fear  ;D

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Rammstein - Liebe ist für alle da

Of course I bought the special edition. It has e.g. "Halt" and "Donaukinder". Donaukinder is a gorgeous song.
Many fans, including me, thought, Rammstein would be close to be dead. Many fans cherish the album "Mutter", but not the latest ones, "Reise, Reise" and the latest "Rosenrot".

But now "Liebe ist für alle da". Rammstein are back. It's the stuff fans starved for! I love it. There's pretty much of a hype around this album, 175 reviews on amazon.de, most of which are very positive!

rubio

Quote from: Wurstwasser on October 24, 2009, 10:34:29 PM
Rammstein - Liebe ist für alle da

Of course I bought the special edition. It has e.g. "Halt" and "Donaukinder". Donaukinder is a gorgeous song.
Many fans, including me, thought, Rammstein would be close to be dead. Many fans cherish the album "Mutter", but not the latest ones, "Reise, Reise" and the latest "Rosenrot".

But now "Liebe ist für alle da". Rammstein are back. It's the stuff fans starved for! I love it. There's pretty much of a hype around this album, 175 reviews on amazon.de, most of which are very positive!

I love them as well, and I think this is their best album together with Herzelied. They're supposed to be THE event for a live show, and I'm going to see them in Katowice, Poland 27th of November. I'm really looking forward to that. However, their video for the song Pussy is just too gross...
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

CD

Books:

Lao Tzu - Tao te Ching
Mencius - Mencius
Yukio Mishima - Spring Snow
Claude Simon - The Acacia