Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: rubio on October 25, 2009, 02:00:37 AMI love them as well, and I think this is their best album together with Herzelied. They're supposed to be THE event for a live show, and I'm going to see them in Katowice, Poland 27th of November. I'm really looking forward to that. However, their video for the song Pussy is just too gross...

I loved Mutter and Reise, Reise most. I think Pussy is alright, but not too Rammsteinish. Well yeah the video was made for the scandal, but we're in 2009 and know Rammstein: not a real scandal today in 2009. OK, maybe in the catholic Poland pr0n is unknown ;) I'm sure Rammstein is great as a live act (I'm not a Rammstein fan of the first day and have not seen them live) - the current album seems also to have been written for a live act. It has it all. You'll enjoy it, I'm jealous :) Couldn't afford a ticket, e.g. Frankfurt is sold it and prices are veeery high at ebay...

vandermolen

Quote from: Corey on October 25, 2009, 04:31:17 AM
Books:

Lao Tzu - Tao te Ching
Mencius - Mencius
Yukio Mishima - Spring Snow
Claude Simon - The Acacia

The Tao is one of my very favourite books - which translation do you have?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

CD

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2009, 01:11:51 PM
The Tao is one of my very favourite books - which translation do you have?

D.C. Lau

George

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2009, 01:17:41 PM
Nostalgia trip:

I hope that you enjoy that remaster a lot more than I did.  :-[

MN Dave

American Fantastic Tales ed. by Peter Straub

MN Dave

Devo remasters: albums 1 and 3.

Lucifer #3

George

Novi

An i-phone - a birthday present for my dad. :)

I was ragging him about becoming all funky in his dotage and he says to me, you do realise that these have been around for some time now. :D LOL, serves me right for being patronising. ;D
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

George

Curb Your enthusiasm Seasons One through Six

Mission Hill - Complete series

The Bill Cosby Show - Season One

and

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2009, 01:17:41 PM
Nostalgia trip:
You will enjoy it a lot, it sounds fabulous. I bought it + the mono box.

listener

"I"m Walking Backwards for Christmas (to show that I love you)"
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

George

Yamaha Integrated Amplifier
AX-497

My amp pooped the bed, so I thought I'd try this one. I especially liked that it has a switch to bypass all of the controls (except the volume) to improve sound quality by providing a more direct line to the source. Only $299 at JandR in Manhattan. The remote controls my Yamaha CD Player also, simplifying my remote situation.

Daedalus

My sister bought me Morrissey's Years of Refusal for my birthday. I also bought Morrissey's other recent release Swords.

In addition to this, I ended up buying a second-hand best of Kate Bush album for about £3. I basically bought it for my wife actually as she'll enjoy listening to it in her car.

It's going to be a 'pop music from the 80s' flavoured Christmas.  :D

Books wise, I decided to buy some light reads for over Christmas due to having an Amazon voucher to spend.

Have read the entire Jeeves oeuvre as my bedtime book but haven't read any Blandings yet. These will be my first:

Leave it to Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse

Something Fresh by P.G. Wodehouse

Also bought:

Coaching the 3-4-1-2 and 4-2-3-1 by Massimo Lucchesi

All Played Out: The Full Story of Italia '90 by Pete Davies

Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football by Jonathan Wilson

The Bromley Boys: The True Story of Supporting the Worst Football Team in Britain by Dave Roberts

Some football (soccer) books will will give me some nice light reading in the evenings.

D.

Daedalus

Also bought The Haunted House and Other Stories: The Complete Shorter Fiction of Virginia Woolf.

George

Quote from: Daedalus on December 15, 2009, 01:49:08 PM
My sister bought me Morrissey's Years of Refusal for my birthday. I also bought Morrissey's other recent release Swords.

Thanks for mentioning this! I had missed it entirely.

Lethevich

(Ernest Dowson)

+ An artbook on Oscar Bonnevalle (this poor chap seems to lack a Wikipedia page). And a squillion others. I am stupid for buying so many books - I can't read them all.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.