Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

SFBC hardcover versions of Burroughs' Mars novels.

A Moorcock Elric book.

A Frazetta 2010 calendar.

My childhood is alive and well. :)

karlhenning

MN Dave

Jethro Tull - The Very Best of...
David Byrne - The Catherine Wheel (The Complete Score) (A re-purchase for me and highly recommended!)
Baroness - Blue Record

MN Dave

Mine says "20th Anniversary Collector's Edition" but doesn't have this cover:

Bogey

Some Dixieland:

and some old school:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

George

Some nice boots by Salomon for Winter Wandering:

Bogey

Also received this one from my wife:

Thought it was going to be just awful, but turned out to be quite fun.  Like walking past the Golden Horseshoe Saloon at Disneyland. ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

MN Dave

Four Star Wars books; all by Timothy Zahn.

71 dB

Doctor Who - The Seeds of Death DVD
Tangerine Dream - The Epsilon Journey DVD
Tangerine Dream - Booster III
Tangerine Dream - Dream Mixes IV
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Lethevich

They've finally ditched any pretense to not being pure pop - not a single harsh vocal used so far after six songs. Catchier than herpes too, whee.

Edit: Whee, at the time of posting I seem to have thought that this was the listening thread ::)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

MN Dave

Not buying much rock but did buy this. Retro punk garage sorta thing.

offbeat

Quote from: 71 dB on January 08, 2010, 03:10:18 PM
Doctor Who - The Seeds of Death DVD
Tangerine Dream - The Epsilon Journey DVD
Tangerine Dream - Booster III
Tangerine Dream - Dream Mixes IV
used to love Tangerine Dream from years back with albums like Force Majeure and Rubycon- just wondered if their latest stuff is as good  ???

71 dB

Quote from: offbeat on January 15, 2010, 08:31:38 AM
used to love Tangerine Dream from years back with albums like Force Majeure and Rubycon- just wondered if their latest stuff is as good  ???
Force Majeure is one of their best albums. Rubycon is strong too. Many fans think the 90's was a weak (personally I think it wasn't that weak, only different) decade for TD but there is also a consensus that the last 5 years have been a renaissance for Tangerine Dream.

Recommended recent releases: Jeanne d'Arc (2005), Mapcap's Flaming Duty (2007), Purple Diluvial (2008) Views From The Red Train (2008) and Chandra (2009). Also, the Booster Compilations are very good.

http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/index.php

offbeat

Quote from: 71 dB on January 15, 2010, 11:33:49 AM
Force Majeure is one of their best albums. Rubycon is strong too. Many fans think the 90's was a weak (personally I think it wasn't that weak, only different) decade for TD but there is also a consensus that the last 5 years have been a renaissance for Tangerine Dream.

Recommended recent releases: Jeanne d'Arc (2005), Mapcap's Flaming Duty (2007), Purple Diluvial (2008) Views From The Red Train (2008) and Chandra (2009). Also, the Booster Compilations are very good.
thanks 71 dB - have been meaning to catch up with TD - all my TD unplayed fr years as on vinyl but be nice to catch up

71 dB

Quote from: offbeat on January 15, 2010, 12:53:48 PM
thanks 71 dB - have been meaning to catch up with TD - all my TD unplayed fr years as on vinyl but be nice to catch up

In case you wish to update your old TD vinyls to CDs, the old classics like Force Majeure and Rubycon are easily found for low price and good sound quality (Virgin definitive edition 1995)

vandermolen

Curved Air 1 and 2. A nostalgia trip after 38 years.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lethevich

I found this in a second-hand bookshop for £5 and thought "bargain", then when I presented it to the owner, he made a BS excuse about the pencil-written price looking to have been "tampered with" after appearing surprised at how low he (or whoever else did it) had priced it. He's an ass because he should've had the guts he would say to my face "sorry I priced this too low", but he didn't - he instead implied that I was a thief, because nobody else would forge a price then leave it without trying to purchase. I am socially awkward enough as it is without people like that messing with me :P

When I got home I looked it up on Amazon and found it a copy for 6p, which I promptly snapped up. There is his answer: he must've Googled the book when pricing, saw how low it was and marked it similarly. Whatever, it's his loss of custom and my saving. Sadly, the Amazon price has gone up since (another entry has it for £3.50) so I can't recommend it as a must-buy, despite being a very fine book. The images are well-chosen and brightly reproduced, and the kitsch is balanced by more substantial stuff - really enjoyable and I can't wait to look through it again during the summer.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Bogey