Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

3 jetlag travel guides:
Molvanîa             San Sombrèro           Phaic Tan
had been recommended by a writer in the Japan Times
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

karlhenning

Just pulled the trigger on a brace of releases which, when I first saw one of them (or, one version of one of them) maybe a year-ish ago, I was sure I had no interest in.  It's the insidious influence of watching certain DVDs . . . they push me down the spiral . . . .

I'll post these when they land (I actually sprang an extra $3.50 for second-day delivery).

Meanwhile, today:  Backup 4gb flash card for the handheld recorder.

(Although the price sticker says $59.99, it was on sale for $24.99.)

karlhenning

Per this:

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 24, 2010, 01:18:30 PM
Just pulled the trigger on a brace of releases which, when I first saw one of them (or, one version of one of them) maybe a year-ish ago, I was sure I had no interest in.  It's the insidious influence of watching certain DVDs . . . they push me down the spiral . . . .

karlhenning

And, just landed today:

karlhenning

Back when it was the very first (or second) CD reissue out on Rykodisc, I bought this double.  But it went away.  Now it's come back home to stay . . . .

That's a happy story, too . . . A year-ish ago I tried to find the other double that Rykodisc issued, Lumpy Gravy / We're Only In It For the Money on Amazon.  Found the item listed, and a good price on a used copy from a third-party seller.  Only when it arrived, it wasn't this double . . . it was the later Rykodisc reissue of We're Only In It For the Money only.  The seller claimed that the listing was an Amazon error (and all the same, refunded me half the price).

Now, ever since mashing a recent order for this double, I've been on sort-of tenterhooks, wondering if I was going to receive one or the other as a singleton.  But, here it is:  the double, as advertised . . . .

(Not a really interesting story, I suppose, but there it is.)

secondwind

Thrift store run after work netted two Klezmatics cds (Rhythm & Jews and  Chava Albertstein) and an Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong cd.  I think I should get a lot of fun for my $5.00. 

Elgarian

I've been buying a bunch of old Elvis CDs. All my Elvis used to be on vinyl (I never had all that much, mind you), and I never replaced them when I eventually ditched all my LPs. But recently I've been inclined towards an 'Elvis revisited' jaunt (Elvis in one ear, Mozart in the other) and so I had to act. The nice thing is discovering that so much more is available than there used to be, and nearly all of it is cheap.

karlhenning

Quote from: Elgarian on March 05, 2010, 03:11:30 AM
(Elvis in one ear, Mozart in the other)

You've found a new place to dwell, on Ives Street, I see . . . .

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on January 15, 2010, 02:25:47 PM

I found this in a second-hand bookshop for £5 and thought "bargain", then when I presented it to the owner, he made a BS excuse about the pencil-written price looking to have been "tampered with" after appearing surprised at how low he (or whoever else did it) had priced it. He's an ass because he should've had the guts he would say to my face "sorry I priced this too low", but he didn't - he instead implied that I was a thief, because nobody else would forge a price then leave it without trying to purchase. I am socially awkward enough as it is without people like that messing with me :P

When I got home I looked it up on Amazon and found it a copy for 6p, which I promptly snapped up. There is his answer: he must've Googled the book when pricing, saw how low it was and marked it similarly. Whatever, it's his loss of custom and my saving. Sadly, the Amazon price has gone up since (another entry has it for £3.50) so I can't recommend it as a must-buy, despite being a very fine book. The images are well-chosen and brightly reproduced, and the kitsch is balanced by more substantial stuff - really enjoyable and I can't wait to look through it again during the summer.

That's a great bargain you've got there. It has a fine, balanced cross-section of work, very well reproduced, and much of it not all that readily available elsewhere. Even what might be dismissed as kitsch acquires an interest in its context, and there's plenty of the real stuff in any case - the pastoral idylls of John Linnell are worth anyone's attention, for instance: visions hard won in maturity, after a youth spent in painting hard-edge Pre-Raphaelite landscapes 20 years before the Pre-Raphaelites thought of doing it! Nicely spotted, and congrats on spending 6p with such terrific wisdom!

Elgarian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 05, 2010, 03:16:06 AM
You've found a new place to dwell, on Ives Street, I see . . . .

All I know is that I feel disinclined to be a tiger (they're too rumbustuous); similarly, I'm not attracted to the leonine species, because they aren't particularly adorable. On balance, I'd prefer to be just plain Mr Edward Bear.

Conor71

Just got a new iPod: 160 GB Classic which I am well chuffed with! - now I can store all my CM with room for future purchases and have now been able to include lossless versions of my favourite music :):

Lethevich

Quote from: Elgarian on March 05, 2010, 03:23:14 AM
That's a great bargain you've got there. It has a fine, balanced cross-section of work, very well reproduced, and much of it not all that readily available elsewhere. Even what might be dismissed as kitsch acquires an interest in its context, and there's plenty of the real stuff in any case - the pastoral idylls of John Linnell are worth anyone's attention, for instance: visions hard won in maturity, after a youth spent in painting hard-edge Pre-Raphaelite landscapes 20 years before the Pre-Raphaelites thought of doing it! Nicely spotted, and congrats on spending 6p with such terrific wisdom!

:)! Now I just need some sun... ::)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Elgarian

Quote from: Lethe on March 07, 2010, 05:53:35 PM
:)! Now I just need some sun... ::)

Well, what impresses me is that if you're capable of doing so much with 6p, what astounding things might you accomplish with 50? If you had a couple of quid going spare, you could probably buy the sun!

Franco

Quote from: Conor71 on March 05, 2010, 04:51:02 PM
Just got a new iPod: 160 GB Classic which I am well chuffed with! - now I can store all my CM with room for future purchases and have now been able to include lossless versions of my favourite music :):

That's the one I have (altho mine is silver) and been very happy with it for over a year with no problems - but how do you sync lossless tracks?

karlhenning

Quote from: Conor71 on March 05, 2010, 04:51:02 PM

I like my Sansa Fuze, but that is certainly a temptation . . . .

SonicMan46

Tonight for our 'dinner music', several new and CHEAP arrivals from BRO:

Rosemary Clooney - From Bing to Billie - 2CD set packaged in a single-sized jewel box on Concord Records w/ Scott Hamilton on the saxophone (recordings from the late 1970s) - Rosie in great voice w/ jazzy arrangements - quite pleasant!

Buddy DeFranco & Dave McKenna - You Must Believe in Swing (also on Concord Records) - piano & clarinet - just another enjoyable relaxing jazz disc - both w/ excellent ratings on Amazon - check them out there, if interested - for myself, both are KEEPERS, enjoyed by Susan & me!  :)

Conor71

Quote from: Franco on March 08, 2010, 10:18:57 AM
That's the one I have (altho mine is silver) and been very happy with it for over a year with no problems - but how do you sync lossless tracks?
I ripped the Lossless tracks into iTunes using Apple Lossless and then sync'ed them to my iPod - I have the manage music manually option selected so my iPod doesnt try to update itself every time I connect it to the computer.
Sync'ing the Lossless tracks takes a while but they do sound great - Playing lossless files eats up the power on the iPod faster but luckily there is plenty of power in the 160 gb Ipods so im still getting quite a few hours play time before needing to recharge (hope I understood your question correctly there) :).