Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

Quote from: DavidW on April 10, 2010, 11:36:36 AM
You know I picked up Long Lost by him from a library book sale, it will be my intro to him. :)

I don't know if that's the best intro but give it a shot. Be ready for some very British, dense (but good) writing.

George

Grabbed this Bogey recommended CD today.  8)

Bogey

Quote from: George on April 21, 2010, 06:09:09 PM

It's real, and it's spectacular.-S.D.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on April 21, 2010, 06:09:09 PM

The newest 2008 releases of CCR catalog come in very nice digipaks with extra bonus tracks, I bought 5-6 last year and love them..........also like some of Fogerty's solo albums

DarkAngel

This weekend bought all albums (used at Amazon) by Ladytron

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on April 25, 2010, 10:20:36 AM

The newest 2008 releases of CCR catalog come in very nice digipaks with extra bonus tracks, I bought 5-6 last year and love them..........also like some of Fogerty's solo albums

Cool. The mastering on the gold CD is what sealed the deal for me. It was done by Steve Hofmann. 

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

From Amazon:

A big part of our job here at Collectors' Choice Music is to survey the pop music landscape (or in this case, seascape) for artists whose collections don't really do them justice, and we think there's a strong case to be made that Jan & Dean are at the head of the line. Sure, their classic Liberty recordings have been anthologized, but never comprehensively, and almost always in re-mixed stereo, NOT in their original mono. Well, not this time. We've gone back to the original mono single tapes of EVERY one of Jan & Dean's Liberty singles, both their A and B-sides, then checked and checked again to make sure they were the RIGHT tapes, to bring you the ORIGINAL MONO SINGLE VERSIONS of these songs, exactly as they were released and exactly as they sounded when they climbed the charts and blared out of your Woody's car radio. The package includes extensive liner notes by Ed Osborne and David Beard featuring interviews with those close to the action, like engineer/producer Bones Howe, Jan Berry friend/co-writer Don Altfeld and Dean Torrence himself, plus photos of Jan and Dean and shots of some of the single's label and jacket art.

Bogey

DarkAngel

Original Album series
Great buy at Amazon sellers for these new 5 CD sets many at $15-20 or less.......the savings on shipping individual Cds pays for the boxset, CDs are almost free!

Many groups released in last 6 months, don't have any myself since I own most Cds already but comes in box with cardboard sleeves for each album, amazing price savings for someone new to this music  :)

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on May 22, 2010, 02:30:47 PM

Nice.......did  you see the ultra cheap 2CD collection with 36 tracks at Amazon sellers for $4.76 new  ;)

Either one is a step up from the old hits 1CD collection........

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on May 22, 2010, 04:29:05 PM

Nice.......did  you see the ultra cheap 2CD collection with 36 tracks at Amazon sellers for $4.76 new  ;)

No, I um, got mine somewhere else. They were giving them away.  0:)

Either one is a step up from the old hits 1CD collection........

True, though the compression on the one I posted keeps it from being a great release IMO. 

The new erato

Filling up some holes from amazon uk:

Lots of geat songs which I've never owned on any medium (though knowing their catalogue well)

What can one say? Though being more into their blues phase (P Green being one of the all time great guitarists); this is a good album for easy listening. Owned it on cassette at one time.

This is a great, great band, which nobody seems to listen to any longer. I reeally need to plug some holes!

George

erato - I like your style. Those are three of my favorite bands! For more Fleetwood Mac, I strongly suggest their self titled album. It's the one with Landslide, Rhiannon, Over my Head, etc. That Traffic comp is excellent and is supposed to be the best sounding Traffic comp. Procol Harum is incredible! I have all the early stuff, up to Broken Barricades. I think the first four albums are absolute classics.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: erato on May 23, 2010, 02:23:14 AM

That's an album everyone owned in the late 70s. Even my sister, who had no other music in her home, had that one  :D  Me, I held out a few years. Didn't acquire the LP until the early 80s. I think it's one of the most perfect Pop creations of all time.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"