Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 23, 2010, 05:46:36 AM
That's an album everyone owned in the late 70s.

That reminded me of the Family Guy when Peter was in the veterinarian and did or said something terrible. This 80 year old lady called him a monster, to which he replied: "You know what else was a Monster? Frampton Comes Alive '76. Is there anyone you knew that didn't have that album? Didn't think so."  ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: DarkAngel on May 22, 2010, 07:55:12 AM

Original Album series
Great buy at Amazon sellers for these new 5 CD sets many at $15-20 or less.......the savings on shipping individual Cds pays for the boxset, CDs are almost free!

Many groups released in last 6 months, don't have any myself since I own most Cds already but comes in box with cardboard sleeves for each album, amazing price savings for someone new to this music  :)

Nice deal, though a little more Cars than I should need.

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 24, 2010, 07:13:10 AM
Nice deal, though a little more Cars than I should need.

Just [a bit more than] I needed, too. ;-)

I like the DCC Greatest Hits.

karlhenning

But I'd go hear Greg Hawkes play his ukelele anytime : )

DarkAngel

A couple more live Hendrix albums to go with Live at Monterey album

DarkAngel

I decided I had enough of the fake stereo sound of albums up to Abbey Road...........answer Mono Box!

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 01, 2010, 02:52:00 PM

I decided I had enough of the fake stereo sound of albums up to Abbey Road...........answer Mono Box!

Nice move! How much did you get it for?

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on June 01, 2010, 06:09:31 PM
Nice move! How much did you get it for?

Amazon seller USA new boxset........$150 ($299 retail)
There are even cheaper new boxsets but lower feedback scores raise questions

Some of those stereo seperations are very extreme in later albums, always thought it would sound more cohesive in mono

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 01, 2010, 07:13:53 PM

Amazon seller USA new boxset........$150

Be careful, I hear there are some bootlegs about in that price range and being sold on amazon. Is it a reputable seller?

QuoteSome of those stereo seperations are very extreme in later albums, always thought it would sound more cohesive in mono

Revolver, Pepper and the White Album all sound great in mono. 

You also get the superior (IMO) 1965 stereo mixes of Rubber Soul and Help!   

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on June 01, 2010, 07:22:03 PM
Be careful, I hear there are some bootlegs about in that price range and being sold on amazon. Is it a reputable seller?

Revolver, Pepper and the White Album all sound great in mono. 

You also get the superior (IMO) 1965 stereo mixes of Rubber Soul and Help!

Seller rated 100% and product description said it is legit unopened USA boxset  ;)

I saw that those two albums have both mono & stereo versions of album on CD

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 01, 2010, 07:29:49 PM

Seller rated 100% and product description said it is legit unopened USA boxset  ;)

I saw that those two albums have both mono & stereo versions of album on CD

OK, sounds like you are safe. This thread should be useful to make sure you got the real thing - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=207990&highlight=beatles+mono+fake

Yes, George Martin remixed Help! and Rubber Soul when they were first released on CD in 1987. I prefer the 1965 stereo to the 1987 remixes. Those are both stereo, then there's the mono mix, also include in your mono box.

Everything up to Magical Mystery Tour has a mono and a stereo mix. Only Let it Be, Yellow Submarine and Abbey Road were released in stereo only IIRC. Also, it's worth noting that the Beatles were present for the mixing of all the mono mixes of their albums, with the stereo mixes made afterwards.

karlhenning

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 01, 2010, 07:13:53 PM
Amazon seller USA new boxset........$150 ($299 retail)

Understood.  I found it a bit less expensive "via Amazon Fulfillment," so that was a trigger I pulled with confidence.

(I confess I was susceptible, having just listened to The Beatles in the stereo remaster . . . so I went to Amazon essentially prepared to spring for the box if I found it at the $150 point . . . .)

DarkAngel

Since I did the Beatles Mono box could not neglect Mick and the boys...........

10 CDs each has original artwork for single release

11 Cds each with original artwork

This was bought purely for the artwork and packaging.......not very practical playing 2-3 songs at a time
Price was not bad at Amazon USA, $35 per boxset

Drasko

few books:

Kazuo Ishiguro - The Unconsoled
Andrei Bely - Peterburg

MN Dave

I would list tons of CDs here if I thoguht anyone would be interested in what I've been listening to.  ;D

Bogey

Quote from: DarkAngel on May 25, 2010, 03:33:27 PM

If I only owned one rock album, this would probably be it, save Exile on Main Street. ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DarkAngel

Quote from: Bogey on June 02, 2010, 05:06:16 PM
If I only owned one rock album, this would probably be it, save Exile on Main Street. ;)

How do you like the album of other live tracks from same shows that were left off Band of Gypsys.....

Bogey

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 02, 2010, 05:34:02 PM

How do you like the album of other live tracks from same shows that were left off Band of Gypsys.....

You know, I have flirted many times with picking this set up.  However, the album you purchased was the one that I use to borrow from a neighbor when I was a kid.  It literally blew me away and ushered in my post "KISS"/Ted Nugent era of music.  In short, it showed me that while I can enjoy the first bands I discovered as kid, there was a lot more music, great music, to be heard (as my dad kept pointing out, but I had to find out on my own).  So, THIS album, as it is, maintains great memories for me blasting it in my bedroom on my cheap-o stereo system as a teenager.  As for the complete two cd set, I probably should get it down the road....

Funny, how it works though.  I am not a "huge" Hendrix fan (though I do enjoy his other works) as this particular album is just different from all his rest.  The rhythm section here just does it for me.  Like a spike being driven into a railroad track throughout.  I do wish he would of been around long enough to record more with this ensemble.  He just seemed to be going in a direction that I enjoyed, a lot.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 02, 2010, 12:35:49 PM
Since I did the Beatles Mono box could not neglect Mick and the boys...........

10 CDs each has original artwork for single release

11 Cds each with original artwork

This was bought purely for the artwork and packaging.......not very practical playing 2-3 songs at a time
Price was not bad at Amazon USA, $35 per boxset

Better than expected packages..........
Not only each CD has cardboard sleeve with original single release artwork, but CD itself has vinyl replica label and data side uses black CD instead of silver to complete the vinyl illusion

Each boxset has poster and booklet, singles 1968-1971 boxset also has bonus disc with videos from that period, this is like candy for collectors, I am pleased

DarkAngel

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 01, 2010, 02:52:00 PM

This turned out even better than I had expected.......if I had to choose now I take the mono box over stereo box, everything sound less processed and more natural

The packaging is really stellar, each outer cardboard sleeve is album replica including 2 panel fold out if album was issued that way. Also includes original artwork of inside vinyl paper protector sleeve and each CD comes in clear plastic protector sleeve.......impressive attention to detail