Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 09, 2010, 06:38:37 AM

This turned out even better than I had expected.......if I had to choose now I take the mono box over stereo box, everything sound less processed and more natural

The packaging is really stellar, each outer cardboard sleeve is album replica including 2 panel fold out if album was issued that way. Also includes original artwork of inside vinyl paper protector sleeve and each CD comes in clear plastic protector sleeve.......impressive attention to detail

Bingo! I agree on all counts!  :)

marvinbrown

Yesterday I replaced my old Sony amplifier with this truly remarkable jewel from Denon.  Recently released the Denon DM38DAB is absolutely brilliant.  You can plug an iPod and Iphone directly into the USB connection hassle free.  Then I connected my Montior Audio BR1 speakers to it, popped in the first CD from Siegfried (Solti Ring Cycle) and I was in heaven  0:) 0:) 0:)!!  Check it out!!

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HD.php?_DEN_DM38_&CAT=STSYSMAIN&ID=1998

I need to get some sleep......Good Night everyone and sleep tight!

marvin

Mirror Image

Getting back into jazz and ordered these last night after noticing some surprising holes in my Mingus collection:

Mirror Image

Franco

Mirror Image, those are all first rate. 

I have two of those three Mingus recordings (as well as many others) and they represent some of the best of jazz, IMO.  Mingus was an exceptional musician and composer and while he is not what I'd call under-rated, I can't help but feel that many people who are jazz fans don't always have his stuff on their shelves. 

I have a bunch of CDs by Bill Frisell, although that one is new to me - his approach is very creative and always interesting.  I kind of think of him as a modern day John Fahey, but coming from a jazz place instead of a folk-blues background.

Happy listening!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Franco on August 13, 2010, 07:35:17 AM
Mirror Image, those are all first rate. 

I have two of those three Mingus recordings (as well as many others) and they represent some of the best of jazz, IMO.  Mingus was an exceptional musician and composer and while he is not what I'd call under-rated, I can't help but feel that many people who are jazz fans don't always have his stuff on their shelves. 

I have a bunch of CDs by Bill Frisell, although that one is new to me - his approach is very creative and always interesting.  I kind of think of him as a modern day John Fahey, but coming from a jazz place instead of a folk-blues background.

Happy listening!

I wouldn't say that Mingus is an absolute favorite jazz musicians of mine. My favorite Mingus recording is The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which brought all of best elements of Mingus' style and influences together in a really cohesive way. This recording remains the pinnacle of Mingus' recorded output in my opinion.

I own every solo recording of Bill Frisell and most of his session work. I'm a huge Frisell collector and he's remained a very strong influence on my own style even though I don't venture in his sound-world as much as I did in the past. My favorite work of Frisell's remains his playing with drummer Paul Motian.

Jazz remains very important to me. I was listening to it way before I started listening to classical. My three favorite jazz musicians are Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, and Bill Evans. I could listen to their music all day long and never tire of it. For many years, I listened to a lot of jazz piano trios: Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Clark, Barry Harris, Hampton Hawes, Bud Powell, Red Garland, etc. and I realized this was favorite jazz format. I love horns don't get me wrong, but the piano trios are just more intimate for me and there seems to be more of a unity in jazz trios that you don't always get in a larger group.

Good to see another jazz fan here! :D

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 13, 2010, 08:00:23 AM
I wouldn't say that Mingus is an absolute favorite jazz musicians of mine. My favorite Mingus recording is The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which brought all of best elements of Mingus' style and influences together in a really cohesive way. This recording remains the pinnacle of Mingus' recorded output in my opinion.

(* pounds the table *)

Franco

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 13, 2010, 08:00:23 AM

Jazz remains very important to me. I was listening to it way before I started listening to classical. My three favorite jazz musicians are Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, and Bill Evans. I could listen to their music all day long and never tire of it. For many years, I listened to a lot of jazz piano trios: Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Sonny Clark, Barry Harris, Hampton Hawes, Bud Powell, Red Garland, etc. and I realized this was favorite jazz format. I love horns don't get me wrong, but the piano trios are just more intimate for me and there seems to be more of a unity in jazz trios that you don't always get in a larger group.

Good to see another jazz fan here! :D

We share many of the same tastes, I am also a huge fan of those piano trios, especially Hampton Hawes whose All Night Sessions I had as LPs and now on CD - great great great.  Ditto Bill Evans.  Of course, I got to him through Kind of Blue, but also his early great trio work (e.g. Live at the Vanguard) featured Scott Lafaro on bass, and, as a bassist, that was revolutionary for me.  (I worked for a time as a bassist in jazz groups in Dallas and New York.) 

Those Red Garland leader recordings, are down the middle classic '50s jazz - I love them.  I had the honor of playing a few songs with him when he sat in one New Year's night in Dallas, his home.   He was still playing some back then (this was the early '80s), but was very much in semi-retirement.

So, yeh, it's great to talk jazz on GMG there are more than a few fans here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Franco on August 13, 2010, 08:34:28 AM
We share many of the same tastes, I am also a huge fan of those piano trios, especially Hampton Hawes whose All Night Sessions I had as LPs and now on CD - great great great.  Ditto Bill Evans.  Of course, I got to him through Kind of Blue, but also his early great trio work (e.g. Live at the Vanguard) featured Scott Lafaro on bass, and, as a bassist, that was revolutionary for me.  (I worked for a time as a bassist in jazz groups in Dallas and New York.) 

Those Red Garland leader recordings, are down the middle classic '50s jazz - I love them.  I had the honor of playing a few songs with him when he sat in one New Year's night in Dallas, his home.   He was still playing some back then (this was the early '80s), but was very much in semi-retirement.

So, yeh, it's great to talk jazz on GMG there are more than a few fans here.

The Bill Evans Trio of Scott Lafaro and Paul Motian remain, for me, one of the most innovative jazz piano trios of our time. When I listen to Portraits in Jazz or Waltz For Debby I'm immediately transported to somewhere else entirely. That unity and general care that each member had for the other is one of the great qualities of this legendary trio.

I should also mention my love for big bands like Ellington, Basie, Kenton, Herman, among others. Stan Kenton's band had a big impact on me early on. I love his arrangements and he's always got some great players in his groups like Lee Konitz and Conte Candoli (whose work I LOVE with Shelly Manne).

Mirror Image

Karl made me realize on the non-classical listening thread, that I had a few more Zappa recordings to buy, so I picked up this one:

karlhenning

I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains.

George

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 19, 2010, 11:42:58 AM
I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains.

Maybe it's the maid answering.

71 dB

Tangerine Dream - Dream Mixes V
Edgar Froese - Dalinetopia
Edgar Froese - Epsilon In Malaysian Pale

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

MN Dave

THE DIVINE COMEDY of DANTE ALIGHIERI: Inferno

THE MAN WHO WAS THURSDAY: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton

Mirror Image

A few on the way that I didn't own:

MN Dave

The brand new John Mellencamp. I was so taken with his last effort that picking this up was a no-brainer. Like the more interesting rock artists, with age comes the increased celebration of roots music: folk, country and blues.

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

George