Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MN Dave

George

Quote from: MN Dave on September 08, 2010, 12:44:18 PM
I was looking at that.

Yeah, after much deliberation (and finding out that amazon offers an exclusive bonus disc), I pulled the trigger.

More on that bonus disc - "[The Mono Box and the Bootleg Series Volume 9] will come with a notable bonus, if you buy [one of] the set(s) from Amazon: A previously unknown live recording of Dylan. Taped May 10th, 1963 at Brandeis University's First Annual Folk Festival, the tape sat in the archives of Rolling Stone co-founder Ralph Gleason's collection for over forty years. "It had been forgotten, until it was found last year in the clearing of the house after my mother died," says Ralph's son Toby Gleason. "It's a seven inch reel-to-reel that sounds like it was taped from the mixing disc. A collector/dealer associate of the family said 'This might be worth something to the Dylan office' and we sold it to them last year."

Live: Brandeis University, 1963

"Honey Just Allow Me One More Chance" (Incomplete)
"Talkin' John Birch Paranoid Blues"
"The Ballad of Hollis Brown"
"Masters of War"
"Talkin' World War Three Blues"
"Bob Dylan's Dream"
"Talkin' Bear Mountain Picnic Massacre Blues"

karlhenning

Talkin' Harvard Square Arrogant Homeless Blues

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 09, 2010, 07:04:06 AM
Just landed:

In a Silent Way

Can't say that I was terribly impressed with Miles' electric period, BUT In A Silent is not a bad recording, in fact, the title track is quite beautiful.

karlhenning

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 09, 2010, 09:46:48 AM
Can't say that I was terribly impressed with Miles' electric period, BUT In A Silent is not a bad recording, in fact, the title track is quite beautiful.

I grew curious about this album from a mention (and a clip of Miles and band in an outdoor concert) in Frank Zappa: The Freak Out! List

karlhenning

$5.99 each at Newbury Comics in Quincy Market:

Bogey

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 09, 2010, 09:46:48 AM

Can't say that I was terribly impressed with Miles' electric period,....

Same here, but I can see how folks dig it and EVERYTHING Miles did was cool no matter my opinion.  ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

CD

I hope there's at least a slight bit of irony behind that Beck cover, even though I'm guessing there isn't.

karlhenning

Quote from: George on September 10, 2010, 12:17:21 PM
Never was that moniker more appropriate.  8)

Hah!

Good morning, George & Corey!

karlhenning

To sing the praise of the enduring brick-&-mortar shops . . . I chanced on this over at the Quincy Market Newbury Comics last week . . . two CDs with some previously unissued tracks, and a pr. un. DVD of a live performance in Copenhagen, in 1969:

Bitches Brew (Legacy Edition)

Back in my Buffalo daze, I remember buying the first CD reissue of this, and the album didn't sing to me.  But, I suspect today will be a different matter.

MN Dave

THE CIVIL WAR: A HISTORY - Harry Hansen

THE PRINCE - Niccolo Machiavelli

DavidW

Inspired by Wallander, I bought this:

:)  I love it.  Believe the genre is Australian folk.

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on October 12, 2010, 11:44:27 AM
Inspired by Wallander, I bought this:

Ah, man!  We watched the first two episodes and are awaiting the last episode.....great stuff....stark, but great.  Did you follow the Inspector Lewis series prior to this one on Mystery, David?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz