Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Conor71 on October 29, 2010, 09:03:58 PM
Nice, I was just listening to Boy with the Arab Strap this morning! :) - I still havent seen Storytelling the film yet, I will be sure to check it out though.

Did you see Happiness or Welcome to the Dollhouse? Those are both superb films, IMO. I have ordered the DVD for Solondz's newest film, Life During Wartime, which should arrive tomorrow. I am very excited!! 

Conor71

Quote from: George on October 29, 2010, 09:12:22 PM
Did you see Happiness or Welcome to the Dollhouse? Those are both superb films, IMO. I have ordered the DVD for Solondz's newest film, Life During Wartime, which should arrive tomorrow. I am very excited!!
No I have'nt seen those ones either! :-[ - I have gotten behind in my Movie watching as I have been listening to so much music in my free time, I will make a point of seeing these ones too :).

George

Quote from: Conor71 on October 29, 2010, 09:18:48 PM
No I have'nt seen those ones either! :-[ - I have gotten behind in my Movie watching as I have been listening to so much music in my free time, I will make a point of seeing these ones too :).

His movies are what he describes as Sad Comedies.  ;D I think that's an accurate description, but they are always controversial as well, dealing with taboo topics, often in a darkly comedic way. People tend to love or hate his films. I absolutely love them. I suggest starting with Welcome to the Dollhouse and if you like it, then checking out Happiness and Storytelling. These last two push the envelope further than Dollhouse does. 

Conor71

Quote from: George on October 29, 2010, 09:23:46 PM
His movies are what he describes as Sad Comedies.  ;D I think that's an accurate description, but they are always controversial as well, dealing with taboo topics, often in a darkly comedic way. People tend to love or hate his films. I absolutely love them. I suggest starting with Welcome to the Dollhouse and if you like it, then checking out Happiness and Storytelling. These last two push the envelope further than Dollhouse does.
Sounds cool - I have a nearby video store which specializes in cult movies and will see if it has any of these :).

Mirror Image

Bogey

Some vinyl from a record show today:

and these two to add to my gunslinger vinyl collection:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Ken Curtis is actually a great singer! :)  Coolness. ;D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on November 07, 2010, 01:00:01 PM
Ken Curtis is actually a great singer! :)  Coolness. ;D

Don't know about that. ;D  But he is a Colorado native!  It will nice with my others.  I do not like country-western music, but "cowboy" music seems to resonate with me from time to time.  Either way, I am sure it will be second tier to my:

;D

And do not bother searching for this:

I already have it on cd. ;D
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

He actually started his career as a singer. :)

Haha Bonanza xmas albums! :D  I didn't even know they sang. ;D

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on November 07, 2010, 01:09:36 PM
He actually started his career as a singer. :)

Haha Bonanza xmas albums! :D  I didn't even know they sang. ;D

They don't. ;)  Greene is not that bad.  (Did you know that he is the father of Sam Rami's wife?)  Actually listening to Ken Curtis album now....he is actually pretty good.  The "Festus" talk between songs actually is what does not work here.

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on November 07, 2010, 01:14:37 PM
They don't. ;)  Greene is not that bad.  (Did you know that he is the father of Sam Rami's wife?)  Actua;;y listening to Ken Curtis album now....he is actually pretty good.  The "Festus" talk between songs actually is what does not work here.

This song is powerful good.  I sing it when I ride on my mule over yonder to help out Matthew. ;D

I see the Bonanza albums falls under so bad it's good. :) :D

Bogey

Only could take half of side 1.....moving to.....

Sergeant Rock

Arrived today from JPC, Ray LaMontagne's latest album, God Willin' & the Creek Don't Rise. Recommended by papy.

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Conor71

George

Quote from: Conor71 on November 13, 2010, 04:15:40 PM

I recently picked up the Brothers & Sisters, Blue Room and Safety EPs. Haven't heard them yet, though. I love the first two Coldplay albums.

Conor71

Quote from: George on November 13, 2010, 04:36:39 PM
I recently picked up the Brothers & Sisters, Blue Room and Safety EPs. Haven't heard them yet, though. I love the first two Coldplay albums.
Cool, may have to get those first 2 albums at some stage :).

Conor71

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 16, 2010, 07:22:08 AM

Coltrane Live At Birdland

If I had to pick a favorite Coltrane recording it would be Blue Train. I find that when he started to get away from his roots (i. e. bebop), his music started to have a very chaotic feel which didn't do much for me. Some people say he was "reaching for the cosmos" or something vague like that, but I hear somebody who was struggling to find his own musical voice when he already had his sound as far back as when he was playing with Miles. Other favorite Coltrane recordings of mine: Ballads, Crescent, A Love Supreme, Coltrane, and Giant Steps.

Let me add that I know every musician must grow, but I thought the direction Coltrane took with the free jazz thing was disappointing.