Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Rose Royce - Rainbow Connection - £7.99
Voucher: £1
=> £6.99 (cdwow.com)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 16, 2010, 08:07:08 AM
I have most of Tranes discography, he was a phenomenal improvisor ... this purchase is merely a replacement of a damaged disc and it's a classic album (particuarly love the track Alabama). Blue Train is nowhere near my favorite, he was only getting started and the classic quartet (one of the greatest bands in history) hadn't fallen into place yet ... nor are any of the other discs you mentioned, though they do have their moments. My favorite album is First Meditations (for Quartet), but I'm also really fond of Afro-Blue Impressions, Transition, Live At the Half Note, Monk with Trane & Stellar Regions.

Coltrane doesn't do much for me in general. I find his tone grating after awhile.

Toonces

Earth Songs Secret Garden.  I heard one of the tracks, "Sometimes When it Rains" on pandora.com and just fell in love with the music.  You can hear it here that cut here on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMadeENR09w&feature=related

Henk

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 16, 2010, 07:36:55 AM

If I had to pick a favorite Coltrane recording it would be Blue Train. I find that when he started to get away from his roots (i. e. bebop), his music started to have a very chaotic feel which didn't do much for me. Some people say he was "reaching for the cosmos" or something vague like that, but I hear somebody who was struggling to find his own musical voice when he already had his sound as far back as when he was playing with Miles. Other favorite Coltrane recordings of mine: Ballads, Crescent, A Love Supreme, Coltrane, and Giant Steps.

Let me add that I know every musician must grow, but I thought the direction Coltrane took with the free jazz thing was disappointing.

I agree, Coltrane's playing got more and more extreme, but he always stayed true to the hard bop tradition. Therefor I still like his progressions more then other forms of free jazz.

Henk

Henk

Quote from: James on November 17, 2010, 01:06:41 PM
Coltrane's tone was clean, fluid, dynamic & extremely beautiful & rich. He was a master.

I can't hear real mastery with Coltrane, though he was surely close to it. For mastery you should try Elliott Sharp or Guus Janssen.

Henk

Conor71

canninator

Quote from: Conor71 on November 25, 2010, 11:58:07 PM

Just arrived today!

Truly excellent mini-album, youtubing Skyward now in your honour. I first saw Therapy? pre-Babyteeth supporting Hole and they blew Hole off the stage. They were punk as fuck in those days, it's just a shame they went a bit indie rock and naff after Pleasure Death. All the same, I still use AnimalBones as a username on some boards  :D.

Oh listening to Animal Bones now, takes me back.

Conor71

Quote from: Il Furioso on November 26, 2010, 01:30:37 AM
Truly excellent mini-album, youtubing Skyward now in your honour. I first saw Therapy? pre-Babyteeth supporting Hole and they blew Hole off the stage. They were punk as fuck in those days, it's just a shame they went a bit indie rock and naff after Pleasure Death. All the same, I still use AnimalBones as a username on some boards  :D.

Oh listening to Animal Bones now, takes me back.
Awesome Il Furioso that sounds like a great gig! :D.
Thanks for your reply - It is a nice suprise, I did'nt think anyone on these boards would even have heard of Therapy? !! :).

canninator

Quote from: Conor71 on November 26, 2010, 03:25:09 AM
Awesome Il Furioso that sounds like a great gig! :D.
Thanks for your reply - It is a nice suprise, I did'nt think anyone on these boards would even have heard of Therapy? !! :).

Turns out the entire gig was filmed and is on youtube in four parts

First part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenUH4-KQUw

I'm one of the muppets jumping around up the front. Oh happy days.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 17, 2010, 01:06:41 PM
Coltrane's tone was clean, fluid, dynamic & extremely beautiful & rich. He was a master.

That's a matter of taste. I happen to disagree.

MN Dave

Conor71

Quote from: Il Furioso on November 26, 2010, 07:10:59 AM
Turns out the entire gig was filmed and is on youtube in four parts

First part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jenUH4-KQUw

I'm one of the muppets jumping around up the front. Oh happy days.
Nice! - I will be sure to check out this vid :D.

Mirror Image

Bought this and didn't have it:

I own the box set The Last Waltz but I still haven't bought the last of these box sets. I'm a huge Evans fan and own all the studio and most of the live recordings, so it's always a pleasure for me to hear him in a live context.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Toonces on November 17, 2010, 12:36:02 PM

Earth Songs Secret Garden.  I heard one of the tracks, "Sometimes When it Rains" on pandora.com and just fell in love with the music.  You can hear it here that cut here on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMadeENR09w&feature=related
I like them in general as well. This is evening listening in our house. It is very restorative music.

To my purchase: I've seen reruns of MASH for years, but now that it is harder for me to watch them, I've promised myself that I would buy them when they were $70 or less (and not look back). They hit $84 over at Walmart last week and I was tempted. But I held to my guns, and they just hit $69.99 at Amazon!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

karlhenning

The Great Deceiver Part 1 (King Crimson live 1973-1974)

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 29, 2010, 08:28:32 AM
The Great Deceiver Part 1 (King Crimson live 1973-1974)

I LOVE King Crimson, Karl. That's a great box set. The interesting thing about KC is they've always been on the cutting edge somehow or in some way. It's also interesting that Robert Fripp is the only original member left, which begs the question: is he King Crimson?  :-\

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 29, 2010, 08:42:20 AMIt's more than a matter of your tastes of course. Oh and Trane never struggled to find his own voice when took things to a more open place improvisationally... just so you know.

It's always a matter of personal taste. I think Coltrane struggled most of his career, but as I said, I prefer his more bebop-rooted music when there was some structure to what he was doing. I like a lot of his early work with his famous quartet with Elvin Jones, but when he started getting into the free jazz crap he completely lost me. His music in his later stages would even make Schoenberg puke. Absolutely horrible go nowhere, honking, squeaking, squawking nonsense.

I've been listening to jazz a lot longer than you have, James, so don't try to tell me that "Coltrane opened things up improvisationally." Everybody knows that Dizzy, Bird, Miles and Monk were doing innovative things not only with improvisation, but compositionally before Coltrane even made his name musically.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 29, 2010, 07:46:37 PM
I highly doubt that based on your comments.

Let's see I've been listening to jazz for 20 years, how long have you been listening to jazz?

P.S. I see that you've been enjoying listening to Howard Stern, that says so much about you and your "tastes."  ::)

Mirror Image

Found some more Bill Evans that has seemed to slip through the cracks:

Mirror Image

Quote from: James on November 29, 2010, 09:27:37 PM
A lot longer than that, and much more carefully too.

Don't play games with me, James (aka Bach). You're not 59 yrs. old. You're in your late teens/early 20s. I know you from the other forum.