Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2010, 07:09:27 PM

I LOVE King Crimson, Karl. That's a great box set. The interesting thing about KC is they've always been on the cutting edge somehow or in some way. It's also interesting that Robert Fripp is the only original member left, which begs the question: is he King Crimson?  :-\

I like his take on it, that Crimson is a way of doing things.  I think it's true, and that Crimson really does require other, regular collaborators.  Much as I love Exposure, it is a Fripp album, and not a Crimson album.

karlhenning

Quote from: James on November 29, 2010, 09:27:37 PM

Quote from: MILet's see I've been listening to jazz for 20 years, how long have you been listening to jazz?

A lot longer than that, and much more carefully too.

It is so utterly typical of James's fatuity, that he presumes to know that he listens to anything "more carefully" than anyone else ROTFL

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2010, 09:50:45 PM
Don't play games with me, James (aka Bach). You're not 59 yrs. old. You're in your late teens/early 20s. I know you from the other forum.

Well, he could have the mind of a 17-year-old, in a 59-year-old carcass . . . .

DavidW

I ordered the nuforce udac-2, hope the praise is warranted.

It's not much to look at, but it's a usb dac that has earned quite a bit of praise.

My experience with headphone amps is that they are way overhyped, built and sold from someone's garage with low build quality, audible noise floor and distinct coloration either towards the low end or the high end.

I was pleasantly surprised by headroom's total airhead which is neutral with a low noise floor.  I need a usb dac now to escape from laptop's terrible audio.  I have a turtle microii which is good for it's low price, but it still has the noise floor problem.

I thought of the total bithead, but this nuforce product is made by a major manufacturer, which is to say that Headroom finally has competition, and unless the reviews are overhyped has a lower noise floor than the bithead, so it should hopefully be good enough for me.  Fingers crossed. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2010, 04:23:42 AM
Well, he could have the mind of a 17-year-old, in a 59-year-old carcass . . . .

No, I know him from another classical forum and he is definitely in his early 20s. He goes to music school and studies piano I believe. You will also notice how he hasn't responded to my last message. He suffers all the tell tale signs of someone who is still very immature.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2010, 04:21:12 AM
I like his take on it, that Crimson is a way of doing things.  I think it's true, and that Crimson really does require other, regular collaborators.  Much as I love Exposure, it is a Fripp album, and not a Crimson album.

That's very true, but I would like to think that Fripp's influence is quite immense, but I think since the newer members came into the band like Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, and Trey Gunn the band really took off into a more unified direction. There's a stability to this group that wasn't quite there before.

The new erato

AndyD.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2010, 04:21:12 AM

But's that's not a bad thing at all, right!

I actually like the Belew stuff, but then I always thought he had some cool ideas. Been listening to him since the '80's.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

karlhenning

Quote from: AndyD. on December 04, 2010, 03:50:54 PM
But's that's not a bad thing at all, right!

Nothing wrong in the least with Exposure! Fabulous album.

Quote from: AndyD. on December 04, 2010, 03:50:54 PM
I actually like the Belew stuff, but then I always thought he had some cool ideas. Been listening to him since the '80's.

I've always been a fan of Belew, myself.  I was beside myself when in Sam Goody's one evening, (a) I found what was apparently a new King Crimson album (Discipline), and (b) Belew was one of the four members of the re-formed band.

Mirror Image

Quote from: erato on December 03, 2010, 11:19:30 PM
  So do I.
He probably is.

Do you know Gentle Giant? Just backordered this from amazon.co.uk:

I love Gentle Giant too! :) I own all of their recordings. My favorite after all these years is still Octopus, though Free Hand and Three Friends are also top-notch. I also remember The Power and the Glory being quite good.

Mirror Image

Just released today:

Eric Johnson - Up Close

I've been waiting awhile on this one, but waiting is apart of being a Johnson fan. He's still one of most spectacular guitarists I know. I almost had a chance to meet him 8 years ago, but fate would not allow it. :) My dream is to meet Johnson and my other guitar hero Bill Frisell.

Lethevich

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 21, 2010, 12:09:00 PM
Had a couple of coupons, fetched this in for $29, all in:

I really should just buy that Lem book - for about a year I've been waiting to find it at a low-ish second hand price, but it's too popular to go for that little :'( But I guess I can't give up now, it's the chase that makes the catch worthwhile... (By the way, have you read it yet? Some Lem translations can be clunky - I am partway through The Investigation and it's easy reading but a little awkward too).
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

I read it a couple of decades ago . . . but your timing is great, Sara . . . I've actually only just started to re-read it this week.  Not so clunky as might be . . . .

And today, for $7.60 all in, I've restored this to the home library:

MN Dave

karlhenning

Picked this up yesterday . . . between coupons and "Borders Bucks," I only laid out $2.09 for it:

Real blast from the past . . . I remember buying this one on vinyl when it was first released.

MN Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 14, 2010, 06:41:55 AM
Picked this up yesterday . . . between coupons and "Borders Bucks," I only laid out $2.09 for it:

Real blast from the past . . . I remember buying this one on vinyl when it was first released.

Yeah, me too. His best IMO. Then the next one: SECURITY.

karlhenning

Quote from: Sackbut on December 14, 2010, 06:44:51 AM
Yeah, me too. His best IMO. Then the next one: SECURITY.

Yes, I'll head back to Borders in a bit.  I fetched in So first, partly because of sentimental fondness (saw him at the Meadowlands when he toured the album) . . . partly because I thought it less likely that anyone else would snap up Security ahead of me ; )

MN Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 14, 2010, 06:47:40 AM
Yes, I'll head back to Borders in a bit.  I fetched in So first, partly because of sentimental fondness (saw him at the Meadowlands when he toured the album) . . . partly because I thought it less likely that anyone else would snap up Security ahead of me ; )

More fool them.

karlhenning