Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: Bogey on February 05, 2011, 04:34:45 AM
I knew I saw this album somewhere posted here at GMG.  Just picked this one up myself, Scarpia.  See Jazz thread.

The track "blue 7" on this album was included in a set called the "Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz" which I had as a kid and which turned me on to Sonny Rollins.  I had the album on vinyl (a re-issue, not the original) but haven't heard it in a long while.  Other favorite Sonny Rollins albums are "Freedom Suite" and "The Bridge."

Bogey

Quote from: Scarpia on February 05, 2011, 04:59:00 AM
The track "blue 7" on this album was included in a set called the "Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz" which I had as a kid and which turned me on to Sonny Rollins.  I had the album on vinyl (a re-issue, not the original) but haven't heard it in a long while.  Other favorite Sonny Rollins albums are "Freedom Suite" and "The Bridge."

Well I enjoyed it thoroughly last night and it is my first Rollins' cd, so I will definitely be looking into these others.  Thanks!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Scarpia

Quote from: Bogey on February 05, 2011, 05:08:43 AM
Well I enjoyed it thoroughly last night and it is my first Rollins' cd, so I will definitely be looking into these others.  Thanks!

Freedom Suite and the Bridge are both unusual in instrumentation.  Freedom suite is sax, bass and drums, no piano.  The bridge is Sax, bass, drums and electric guitar.  The title track on Freedom suite is a multi-movement affair that is a reaction to the civil rights movement, I believe.  The Bridge takes it's name from the fact that Sonny took a hiatus from performing and would go out on the Williamsburg Bridge to practice late at night.

Bogey

Quote from: Scarpia on February 05, 2011, 05:19:45 AM
Freedom Suite and the Bridge are both unusual in instrumentation.  Freedom suite is sax, bass and drums, no piano.  The bridge is Sax, bass, drums and electric guitar.  The title track on Freedom suite is a multi-movement affair that is a reaction to the civil rights movement, I believe.  The Bridge takes it's name from the fact that Sonny took a hiatus from performing and would go out on the Williamsburg Bridge to practice late at night.

I believed that I heard that story on the Ken Burms' Jazz series....would have been cool to have been strolling by one of those evenings. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Just bought:

[asin]B004DK4AFO[/asin]

I own every recording Bill Frisell has made a leader and almost everything he's been a session player on (100+ recordings). I'm really looking forward to hearing this recording as it captures Frisell in a more intimate setting, which is where I think he does some of his best playing (i. e. his work with Paul Motian, the Kenny Wheeler recording Angel Song).

[asin]http://B003VZL9ME[/asin]

I'm glad this recording has been issued on CD. I've been wanting to hear this one for a while.

Lethevich

Some gloves. There's a large leather factory in my town which have a store (evidently not a very popular one given the out of the way location - when I entered the receptionist asked how I found them), and offer very fine fitted ones at an excellent price compared to city stores.

These were £35, and I couldn't see many more expensive ones on the racks.

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Finally bought some Depeche Mode after years of pursuing other groups, bought these five recordings cheap:

[asin]B000000WZ4[/asin]

[asin]B000002LCI[/asin]

[asin]B000002LK1[/asin]

[asin]B000002L9M[/asin]

[asin]B000002MJC[/asin]

Florestan

A. A. Vasiliev - History of The Byzantine Empire
L. N. Tolstoy - Resurrection
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

karlhenning

[asin]B00006GO99[/asin]

[asin]B000UDQR4U[/asin]

Scarpia

A great film, that looks great in high-def.

[asin]B000N3T0DM[/asin]

Conor71

I dont own any Jazz music at all but I thought this Box was appealing - look forward to listening to this one! :D.

listener

The 9-disc DVD set of  the complete (more or less) Harold Lloyd features and shorts at 13.99 (pounds) minus VAT as it's going overseas.  PAL edition.
[asin]B000N3T2DA[/asin]
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on April 08, 2011, 05:34:24 AM

Three excellent choices here, Conor. Oldfield's Tubular Bells is classic. I also like the Pink Floyd recordings you have listed.

Conor71

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 09, 2011, 08:44:16 PM

Three excellent choices here, Conor. Oldfield's Tubular Bells is classic. I also like the Pink Floyd recordings you have listed.

Thanks MI :) - I really enjoyed listening to Tubular Bells again having previously only heard it once or twice before when I was young!.

Conor71

Purchased as a D/L from ITunes! (Havent purchased many virtual albums before) :).

Conor71

Something a bit different, for me anyway! :D - Enjoyed this one quite a bit!.
Thats it as far as purchases go for quite a while I think! - My 160GB IPod is full and I've even had to exclude alt-versions of some of my CM! :-\.
I have plenty of Music to last me a long time! - lets see if this resolution sticks! ;D 0:).

DavidW

My ipod touch battery just can't hold a charge anymore, so yesterday I bought a sony mp3 player:

[asin]B003Z3I21I[/asin]

It has a very long battery life, and can handle all of my headphones including my 650s with adequate volume, clear detail and present bass so I'm happy. :)

AndyD.

http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife: