Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mn Dave

I remember that album. Peter Gabriel's last with Genesis.

DavidW

If anyone happens to like Lady Gaga, her new album is $1 today and only today on amazon mp3.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on May 26, 2011, 04:14:11 AM

Purchased as a d/l today - I have'nt heard this one since i was a lad, should be interesting to revisit! :).

As MN Dave pointed it was Gabriel's last with the band, it was also most hated by the other band members. The concept just doesn't gel altogether that well, although, there are some good pieces in there like the title track, Fly On A Windshield, Hairless Heart, Carpet Crawlers, and Cuckoo Cocoon to name a few I enjoy.

For me, my favorite Genesis albums are A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Even though these are Collins-led, they still retain their progressive roots and they still had Steve Hackett.

Conor71

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2011, 08:31:41 AM
As MN Dave pointed it was Gabriel's last with the band, it was also most hated by the other band members. The concept just doesn't gel altogether that well, although, there are some good pieces in there like the title track, Fly On A Windshield, Hairless Heart, Carpet Crawlers, and Cuckoo Cocoon to name a few I enjoy.

For me, my favorite Genesis albums are A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Even though these are Collins-led, they still retain their progressive roots and they still had Steve Hackett.

I played the recording last night and ended up listening all the way through and enjoying it a lot! I could actually remember the lyrics to quite a few of the tracks so I must have played it more often than I thought, perhaps i even owned it on LP?, Im really not sure!  :)

I remember the first time I listened I found this album really strange and also thought the concept wasnt very strong but its a worthwhile album as some of the tracks are real winners! - I found the mostly instrumental Disc 2 a bit less interesting than the first but otherwise a great album!  :D

I would really like to explore early Genesis with Peter Gabriel in the band as I am a fan of his and I have never heard this music before - I will also consider the Collins-led albums you have mentioned as well MI :)

Henk

Quote from: mozartfan on May 26, 2011, 07:58:57 AM
If anyone happens to like Lady Gaga, her new album is $1 today and only today on amazon mp3.

Though only in US :(.

DavidW

Quote from: Henk on May 26, 2011, 01:21:32 PM
Though only in US :(.

Oh that's a shame. :( 

Oh well you can gloat next time you order on a free jpc shipping day, I'll never get that since I live in the US. ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on May 26, 2011, 12:57:18 PM
I played the recording last night and ended up listening all the way through and enjoying it a lot! I could actually remember the lyrics to quite a few of the tracks so I must have played it more often than I thought, perhaps i even owned it on LP?, Im really not sure!  :)

I remember the first time I listened I found this album really strange and also thought the concept wasnt very strong but its a worthwhile album as some of the tracks are real winners! - I found the mostly instrumental Disc 2 a bit less interesting than the first but otherwise a great album!  :D

I would really like to explore early Genesis with Peter Gabriel in the band as I am a fan of his and I have never heard this music before - I will also consider the Collins-led albums you have mentioned as well MI :)

I think the best Gabriel-led recording is a toss-up between Nursery Cryme and Selling England By The Pound. Foxtrot had some good moments as well. What do you think about King Crimson?

Mn Dave

Quote from: mozartfan on May 26, 2011, 07:58:57 AM

I sampled one track and it was waaay over-produced.

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 26, 2011, 06:01:58 PM
I sampled one track and it was waaay over-produced.

Yes.  Yes it is extremely overproduced.  It's like a wash of noise on several songs.  Avant garde composers eat your heart out! ;D

Mn Dave

Quote from: mozartfan on May 26, 2011, 06:07:47 PM
Yes.  Yes it is extremely overproduced.  It's like a wash of noise on several songs.  Avant garde composers eat your heart out! ;D

Ugh. I didn't mind the first couple albums but she's totally lost it at this point. Besides, I've pretty much given up on trying to find new artists. Now I'm going to settle back with the hordes of those I already know.

DavidW

Quote from: Mn Dave on May 26, 2011, 06:12:51 PM
Ugh. I didn't mind the first couple albums but she's totally lost it at this point. Besides, I've pretty much given up on trying to find new artists. Now I'm going to settle back with the hordes of those I already know.

Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.  I was going to pass on this album since I don't care for the singles, but for a buck... ok.  Excepting this and the awesome Arcade Fire I've mostly been listening to the 80s for my pop fix.  I already feel done with current pop.

Mn Dave

Quote from: mozartfan on May 26, 2011, 06:46:55 PM
Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.  I was going to pass on this album since I don't care for the singles, but for a buck... ok.  Excepting this and the awesome Arcade Fire I've mostly been listening to the 80s for my pop fix.  I already feel done with current pop.

Yeah, I'll listen to current rock and metal but that's about it.

listener

DVD's just arrived:
ZVENIGORA    1928  Alexander Dovzenko   Ukranian historical fantasy
LARKS ON A STRING   1969  Jiři Menzel
MAGIC LANTERN CYCLE - collection of Kenneth Anger
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mn Dave

THE WORST HARD TIME by Timothy Egan

Conor71

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 26, 2011, 05:58:14 PM
I think the best Gabriel-led recording is a toss-up between Nursery Cryme and Selling England By The Pound. Foxtrot had some good moments as well. What do you think about King Crimson?

I did use to own King Crimson's Sleepless 12' Single (now have it just as an MP3) and had a housemate who liked them a lot so I've heard a little bit of them - interesting group and they have Tony Levin and Robert Fripp as members so I really owe it to myself to check them out at some stage!  :D
If you were to own only one KC record which do you think you would have MI? :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Conor71 on May 28, 2011, 06:47:52 PMIf you were to own only one KC record which do you think you would have MI? :)

The album that hooked me onto King Crimson was the 80s incarnation and this is the album:

[asin]B000003S1C[/asin]

But I also liked these Belew-led recordings as well:

[asin]B000003S1G[/asin]

[asin]B000003S1A[/asin]

[asin]B000000W7H[/asin]

bhodges

Trombone Shorty: Backatown

[asin]B003C5FMEE[/asin]

Rebirth Brass Band: Rebirth of New Orleans

[asin]B004PBBQAI[/asin]

Shamarr Allen and the Underdawgs: Box Who In?

[asin]B002APNCRQ[/asin]

New Orleans Cotton Mouth Kings: Smokin' Swing from New Orleans

--Bruce

Bogey

A number of months ago I dumped all my Peter Gabriel and Genesis cds.....been regretting it ever since.  So yesterday to celebrate another year of teaching, I decided to stop by the local record shop and start to piece back my collection.  However, after looking at the cds, I decided to go the vinyl route.  Here is what I came away with in my first sweep:

First, the Foxtrot album (which is playing now).  I forgot about the back cover and how cool I thought, and still do, the back cover is.  Also is included a shot of the label with the Hatter....cool stuff.

Next, the Duke album.  This was my first exposure to Genesis as a kid.  I would not be until 1983-84, my senior year in high school, that I discovered their earlier Gabriel discography.  I followed hem pretty closely after the Duke and even saw them on their Abacab tour of 1981 in Montreal.  I remembered being blown away by some of the older tunes that they dug out and that is when the exploring germinated.  FWIW, I enjoy the artwork here as well:

Love the gatefold on this one:

A couple Gabriel selections cam e home as well:

This "Melt" album is sung all in German by Gabriel.  Not sure of a cd release of this version.

Should be a blast putting together a collection.  One of the guys that handles the vinyl at the store (probably 15 years older than me) saw them in '73 in L.A.  He said there is a lot of bootlegs and alternate singles on vinyl out there.  He also told me that back in the day it was kind of difficult to get their earlier stuff here in the states because they were not exactly mainstream and one had to hope to stumble upon an import or a used album brought over from Europe by someone in the military.   
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Good listening, Bill!  I do remember the Duke artwork from the LP when I first bought it, a very stylish change in album art direction.