Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Fact is, Bill, originally I owned all those on vinyl (well, not PG III auf deutsch, of course) so your post here is a sentimental journey I'm a-takin' . . . .

Bogey

Gabriel is here on the 13.....thinking about it.  He has an orchestra with him and is playing at Red Rocks.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Be very interested in your report on that event, mon ami!

Bogey

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 02, 2011, 07:41:20 AM
Be very interested in your report on that event, mon ami!

Just a matter if I want to throw down 60 bones for it....and those are the cheap seats. 8)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

Mn Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 02, 2011, 06:20:40 AM
Fact is, Bill, originally I owned all those on vinyl (well, not PG III auf deutsch, of course) so your post here is a sentimental journey I'm a-takin' . . . .

I don't think I need to hear PG or Genesis ever again. Interesting since I listened to them so much back in the 80's.

Bogey

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 02, 2011, 07:49:54 AM
I don't think I need to hear PG or Genesis ever again. Interesting since I listened to them so much back in the 80's.

That is Van Halen for me.  Probably some others that I cannot think of.

Mn Dave

Quote from: Bogey on June 02, 2011, 07:51:29 AM
That is Van Halen for me.  Probably some others that I cannot think of.

Van Halen I can still listen to because they ROCK!!! \m/    8)

;D

Mn Dave

karlhenning

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 02, 2011, 07:49:54 AM

Just a scant couple of years ago, I was in a frame of mind no great distance from this . . . and yes, I had done some serious Genesis consumption in the 80s.

So, apart from a healthy 20-year fast . . . what happened?  I remembered how good Duke once sounded in my ears, so I tried the CD remaster . . . which struck me as a weird re-mix, the guitar got buried in a couple of passages, and I cast that one right back into the used CD pool.

Then the Boxes and the new mixes came out, and it all sounds so fresh and good. When it just sounds that good, you wonder how you could ever have tired of the music.

Almost as an after-thought, I fetched in some of the PG reissues, and they're tasty. PG II never sounded so good to me.

DavidW

I sold off my Beatles albums a few years ago... shouldn't have done that!  Finally getting back into the Beatles:

[asin]B002BSHXJA[/asin]

My favorite albums start with Rubber Soul, but it wouldn't hurt to occasionally listen to the earlier albums.  Actually the only album I've listened through in the past 4 years was Rubber Soul which was on repeat alot for awhile. :)

Mn Dave

In the 70's, I had the US version of RUBBER SOUL. Loved it. Now I have the UK version. Love that too.

karlhenning

What, you weren't enraged at the corporate deception of the US issue?  And in the 70s, when UK versions became available on vinyl even on these shores! ; )

Mn Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 03:49:56 AM
What, you weren't enraged at the corporate deception of the US issue?  And in the 70s, when UK versions became available on vinyl even on these shores! ; )

Nah.  :)

karlhenning

You see, it's that Zen practice from The Shed!

Mn Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 03:51:41 AM
You see, it's that Zen practice from The Shed!

Back when I purchased it, I probably didn't know the difference. It was all Beatles to me.  0:)

karlhenning

As my own trip did unfold, it happened that I learnt of the disharmonious issues before I had ever had occasion to listen to the album itself . . . so in fact, all the pre-Sgt Pepper albums, I have heard only in their UK versions.

Mn Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 03:55:09 AM
As my own trip did unfold, it happened that I learnt of the disharmonious issues before I had ever had occasion to listen to the album itself . . . so in fact, all the pre-Sgt Pepper albums, I have heard only in their UK versions.

I loved The Beatles so much, I didn't mind purchasing different versions once I found out. I did think it was cool that there was more music in the UK versions.

Though you do get used to the track order you grew up with, as is my case with RS.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 06, 2011, 03:57:34 AM
. . . Though you do get used to the track order you grew up with, as is my case with RS.

Yes, I could see that taking an imprint.

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on June 05, 2011, 08:14:51 PM
I sold off my Beatles albums a few years ago... shouldn't have done that!  Finally getting back into the Beatles:

[asin]B002BSHXJA[/asin]

Davey, did you go downloads or "hard CDs"?