Today's Purchases (Non-classical)

Started by MN Dave, February 07, 2008, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mn Dave

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 03:59:14 AM
Yes, I could see that taking an imprint.

I was in love with that version. LOVE, I tell you!

karlhenning

Easy, fella . . . we're here for you.

Bogey

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 06, 2011, 04:02:03 AM
I was in love with that version. LOVE, I tell you!

Dave (second from the left) during his "imprinting" years  ;):

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

karlhenning

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 04:00:26 AM
Davey, did you go downloads or "hard CDs"?

Cd, I told myself that I wouldn't buy aac files anymore (what itunes offers) besides the mono cd set is $40 less than digital download, and will still be $20 less even after I pick up the missing albums! :D

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 03:55:09 AM
As my own trip did unfold, it happened that I learnt of the disharmonious issues before I had ever had occasion to listen to the album itself . . . so in fact, all the pre-Sgt Pepper albums, I have heard only in their UK versions.

So what are the issues besides mono vs stereo?  Did they change the song order?

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2011, 05:30:38 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_discography

I went for the UK run of cds when I put mine together.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

DavidW

Oh it looks like the US releases made a mess of things for no reason, did you any of you have that album with the horrible cover?? :o

Won't directly post the cover since it has questionable content, but you can find it here--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_and_Today

Bogey

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2011, 05:43:35 AM
Oh it looks like the US releases made a mess of things for no reason, did you any of you have that album with the horrible cover?? :o

Won't directly post the cover since it has questionable content, but you can find it here--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yesterday_and_Today

Nope.  Pricey these days.  I only had compilation albums as a kid.  So the order of the tracks when I put the run together with the help from George did not bother me.

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2011, 05:30:38 AM

The repackaging is not strictly a mono VS. stereo affair, but a matter of Capitol Records in the US repackaging the product which Parlophone/EMI delivered to them.  The US issues generally have (if you can imagine it — since even the full Parlophone/EMI albums before Sgt Pepper tend to run a trim 35 minutes) two, three or four songs fewer than the UK issues.  One result, for example, is that Yesterday and Today is a purely US album, largely made of of songs cannablized from Rubber Soul & Revolver.

George

Quote from: DavidW on June 05, 2011, 08:14:51 PM
I sold off my Beatles albums a few years ago... shouldn't have done that!  Finally getting back into the Beatles:

[asin]B002BSHXJA[/asin]

You chose wisely. The packaging, mastering and content is all A+ IMO. It's such a nice box that I don't even want to touch it.  8)

Sgt Pepper, White Album and Revolver all kick some serious tail in Mono. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

karlhenning

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2011, 05:29:30 AM
Cd, I told myself that I wouldn't buy aac files anymore (what itunes offers) besides the mono cd set is $40 less than digital download, and will still be $20 less even after I pick up the missing albums! :D

Well done! 'Atsa nice box!

(Ah, I see our George got there first!)

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 06, 2011, 05:45:33 AM
The repackaging is not strictly a mono VS. stereo affair, but a matter of Capitol Records in the US repackaging the product which Parlophone/EMI delivered to them.  The US issues generally have (if you can imagine it — since even the full Parlophone/EMI albums before Sgt Pepper tend to run a trim 35 minutes) two, three or four songs fewer than the UK issues.  One result, for example, is that Yesterday and Today is a purely US album, largely made of of songs cannablized from Rubber Soul & Revolver.

I'll have to tell my Mother that, she has all of their albums on lp when they first came out.  I bet she doesn't know about that craziness!!

Mn Dave

Quote from: Bogey on June 06, 2011, 05:23:17 AM
Dave (second from the left) during his "imprinting" years  ;):

Have you been digging through my family albums?  ;)

karlhenning

Even Ringo singing "What Goes On" holds up. Who knew?

DavidW

Quote from: Leon on June 06, 2011, 06:41:46 AM
I've got the complete collection as they were first released on CD - I had the LPs but that was a long, long, time ago and they escaped my control at some point.  It's okay with me that these are not the *best* transfers, or the mono versions - I only listen to them for nostalgia sake and these are more than enough.

I am of the generation who was in school when the Beatles first broke and heard their songs on the radio as new songs - it's more about the memories than music for me.  But the music holds up - which is amazing for a pop band.

:)

A case can be made that the Beatles output are classics since not only does your generation listen to it for nostalgia, but my generation listens just because their songs are great and we love 'em!  Even many of my students listen to the Beatles. :)

DavidW

That's cool Leon. :)

When I was a kid, I remember getting for Christmas one year a sony boombox.  I could now listen to music in my room because I had a tape player! :D  My first album was Michael Jackson's Bad and I practically wore it out.  The 80s were not by far as good of a decade for music as the 60s but I have some fond memories. :)

Mn Dave

Quote from: DavidW on June 06, 2011, 06:53:03 AM
A case can be made that the Beatles output are classics...

The case has been made, thank you.  0:)

Bogey

Another addition to my "gunfighter cover" albums (I have two others from Marty as well):

and this one that I snagged for $5....usually it is too expensive due to the cover.

Mn Dave

New Black Lips is a "must" purchase.
[asin]B004XIQL94[/asin]
8) File under "catchy garage rock."